By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - A Veteran in Your Family?

My dad fought against the Khmer Rouge in the late 70s after the Vietnam War. Luckily, he was too young by the time the Vietnam War ended. Doesn't talk about bis experies often but we watched The Killing fields together and during the scene of the mass grave he mentioned how it was exactly like that. Terrifying stuff.

Around the Network

Both my grandfathers fought in WW2, one for the Red Army and the other for Germany who promised autonomy to our country after the war and that causes controversies to this day. They both survived, but I never met the first grandfather because he died when my mom was still little, I have only seen one photo of him, but the second lived on, he never told me any stories but there was a time short before his passing when he told me that he had seen hell in a camp for captives, I can only imagine (but don't want to) because I have read a documentary book on a camp like that.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

m0ney said:

Both my grandfathers fought in WW2, one for the Red Army and the other for Germany who promised autonomy to our country after the war and that causes controversies to this day. They both survived, but I never met the first grandfather because he died when my mom was still little, I have only seen one photo of him, but the second lived on, he never told me any stories but there was a time short before his passing when he told me that he had seen hell in a camp for captives, I can only imagine (but don't want to) because I have read a documentary book on a camp like that.

What's it like in Latvia? Is there a risk of a repeat of Ukraine? I know quite a few Latvians and some speak Russian instead of Latvian. 

Kerotan said:

What's it like in Latvia? Is there a risk of a repeat of Ukraine? I know quite a few Latvians and some speak Russian instead of Latvian. 

Latvia is ok I guess. There is no risk of a repeat of Ukraine since we are in the EU and NATO. Around 30% of our population are russians though, they were brought here by the soviet government in the 50s, most of them were workers for factories.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

I only know of my grandfather who served in the Wehrmacht. Eastern front. Injured. Supposedly the tabaco box he carried around his waist deflected a bullet and prevented major damage. He wrote many letters home, some i read.

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network

My uncle served during Desert Storm. My great/grand uncle served during Vietnam. My other granduncle was in Navy. My sister served in the Air Force. My father was an MP in the Army in the 80's. I myself served in the Air Force for 8 years. I served during Operation Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom. From 2001-2009.

Yeah my family and I know a thing a 2 about being a veteran.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

I don't think so. My Great Grandpa was too young for a war at the time. Same story for my Grandpa.

m0ney said:
Kerotan said:

Latvia is ok I guess. There is no risk of a repeat of Ukraine since we are in the EU and NATO. Around 30% of our population are russians though, they were brought here by the soviet government in the 50s, most of them were workers for factories.

Are these Russians spread out over Latvia or condensed near the border? Do they want to assimilate into Latvian culture or remain a separate culture different to traditional Latvian? Something similar happened in Ireland. Huge number of local people forced off their lands and sent abroad. Meanwhile a large number of Scottish people loyal to the British crown  came over and took the lands.  

My grand father was a Lieutenant colonel in the Army, ( same rank as Roy Mustang :D ).

Kerotan said:

Are these Russians spread out over Latvia or condensed near the border? Do they want to assimilate into Latvian culture or remain a separate culture different to traditional Latvian? Something similar happened in Ireland. Huge number of local people forced off their lands and sent abroad. Meanwhile a large number of Scottish people loyal to the British crown  came over and took the lands.  

I didn't know about the Scottish people in Ireland, you learn something new every day.

Russians here are mostly located in certain cities and towns. I believe our capital Riga is around 50/50 (latvians/russians) and of course many foreigners as with all big cities today. Most of the old russians never wanted to assimilate, most of them don't even speak latvian, but the younger generations vary. Russians had their presence here long before world wars, they tried to invade us for at least the last 1000 years and sometimes succeeded, sometimes we succeeded, as in our soldiers within the armies of Sweden, Germany, Poland etc. Our history is very convulated since we were located between powerhouses on the coast of a sea. I know for sure that I have some polish and russian blood.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store