By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Harvard Scientist Suspect That An Alien controlled Spacecraft Passed The Earth in 2017.

Zoombael said:
Maybe... the aliens like to disguise themselves, their buildings and space ships as rocks. According to some Mars is full of them. Maybe they re already amongst us? The rock right beside you, beneath your feet.. of alien origin and you dont even know... until it is to late...

Depends, is God considered an Alien?

chakkra said:
vivster said:

Why would it look like a rock? And if it was sent, why wasn't it closer? Might as well claim that God put it there. If it actually was aliens it's quite likely that it wasn't sent specifically for us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CA%BBOumuamua#Observations

Here is a lot more information. It accelerated when it got close to the sun and then decelerated. Seems like a natural phenomenon of being pushed by strong radiation from the sun.

It entered the solar system at a speed of around 23km/s. That's painfully slow to actually travel through space and bridge any kind of distance in a reasonable amount of time. You need hundreds of years to get through the solar system at that speed let alone get to it from somewhere else.

Errr..  If it really was an spaceship, what makes you think this would be its top speed? I mean, I'm not saying that it was indeed an spaceship. But if it was, then I think it is safe to assume that it would be able to accelerate and decelerate at will.

If it was able to change its speed at will why would it be so slow in the first place? Sightseeing in a random solar system for a few hundred years?

Cobretti2 said:
vivster said:

Why would it look like a rock? And if it was sent, why wasn't it closer? Might as well claim that God put it there. If it actually was aliens it's quite likely that it wasn't sent specifically for us.

Here is a lot more information. It accelerated when it got close to the sun and then decelerated. Seems like a natural phenomenon of being pushed by strong radiation from the sun.

It entered the solar system at a speed of around 23km/s. That's painfully slow to actually travel through space and bridge any kind of distance in a reasonable amount of time. You need hundreds of years to get through the solar system at that speed let alone get to it from somewhere else.

From what i read at the start of the week the issue they had was that it decelerated when it should have continued to accelerate if it was an actual object like an asteroid.

Also one conclusion was that it wasn't an active alien sail but rather one that was discarded and it just kept on floating through space as the object did not appear to have any active frequencies (well ones we know about) to scan our planet.

In any case whatever it was by the time any information has been relayed back to alien base we be long gone lol.

Well, if it was the Alpha Centauri solar system we might hear back from them in just a few decades.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:

[...]

Maybe it's just a probe like our voyager 2 probe which travels at around 16 km/s. Could have travelled through the milky way for millions of years and just happens to randomly cross our solar system. Whatever civilization made that thing is probably long gone by now. I mean at least that would be a possibility.

Anyway, it's never Aliens until you can safely sort out any other possible explanation. So for the moment I will assume that this thing has a natural origin. 

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

OdinHades said:
vivster said:

[...]

Maybe it's just a probe like our voyager 2 probe which travels at around 16 km/s. Could have travelled through the milky way for millions of years and just happens to randomly cross our solar system. Whatever civilization made that thing is probably long gone by now. I mean at least that would be a possibility.

Anyway, it's never Aliens until you can safely sort out any other possible explanation. So for the moment I will assume that this thing has a natural origin. 

The thing is, even if it's of alien origin it is completely irrelevant. It's definitely not here for us and we have no way to communicate with it, so for us it might as well just be a random rock floating through space. Zero implications for any of our understandings.

Some scientists should stop being romantic with aliens.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Zoombael said:
Maybe... the aliens like to disguise themselves, their buildings and space ships as rocks. According to some Mars is full of them. Maybe they re already amongst us? The rock right beside you, beneath your feet.. of alien origin and you dont even know... until it is to late...

Depends, is God considered an Alien?

Certainly alien to the human mind...

Hunting Season is done...

Harvard. go figure.

Around the Network
chakkra said:
vivster said:

Errr..  If it really was an spaceship, what makes you think this would be its top speed? I mean, I'm not saying that it was indeed an spaceship. But if it was, then I think it is safe to assume that it would be able to accelerate and decelerate at will.

Seems we have plenty time to track that theory It is only 1.5x faster than the Voyager probe. We should be able to catch up with it with more modern tech.

Why is it being called a Rock here?

"The large variations on the light curves indicate that ʻOumuamua may be either a highly elongated object, comparable to or greater than the most elongated Solar System objects,  or an extremely flat object, a pancake or oblate sphereoid."

So its either a elongated oblate sphereoid or a Flat Pancake like Disc in shape.

Light curve observations say its mostly Metal right? A clump of metal, might be more fitting.

So they think a group of ETs had a look at this part of town and decided to turn around get the f**k out of here? Makes sense the's probably a no fly zone warning that's gone up as well.

so if what the scientist say is true, then the only reason why I think Oumuamua sped up and left our solar system is because.. they saw something ugly.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
vivster said:
OdinHades said:

The thing is, even if it's of alien origin it is completely irrelevant. It's definitely not here for us and we have no way to communicate with it, so for us it might as well just be a random rock floating through space. Zero implications for any of our understandings.

Some scientists should stop being romantic with aliens.

Ehhh..   We are used to discuss about things A LOT more irrelevant around here.