By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Super Mario Odyssey now fully playable on Yuzu Emulator

NightlyPoe said:
KLXVER said:

This is something for people who never wanted a Switch in the first place. Emulation doesn't really affect sales much I think. Otherwise no one would buy a NES or SNES classic.

People play it because its free, not because they are fans.

Personally, I don't have any emulators, but simply knowing that the games are out there for free via a simple Google search has diminished any desire I might have to purchase them.  Not exactly rational, but psychology works that way sometimes.

Then you don't really want to play them it seems.



Around the Network
HoangNhatAnh said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
More people will be using this to steal and play Nintendo games for free, than people who legitimately own a Switch + games, but just wanted a higher resolution on PC. For decades Nintendo's core strategy for selling consoles has been to rely on the strength of their in house games. Now that Yuzu works, there's no reason for many people to even bother getting a Switch.

You can say that to every Nintendo portable and yet, their sales are always higher than the competitors quite a lot

That's because their competitors are not really competitive. Aside from PSP every single handheld that tried to compete with Nintendo would up with WiiU/Vita/Dreamcast/Saturn numbers. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 12 November 2018

Well nothing can stop emulators from being made, and as the time passes, they become better, both int terms of software and hardware upgrade.



Cerebralbore101 said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

You can say that to every Nintendo portable and yet, their sales are always higher than the competitors quite a lot

That's because their competitors are not really competitive. Aside from PSP every single handheld that tried to compete with Nintendo would up with WiiU/Vita/Dreamcast/Saturn numbers. 

PSP? It cause nothing to threat DS. It sold well in term of hardware, but the software sales is not that good, especially when compare to DS. PSP sales units are very good, but not even close to DS.



NightlyPoe said:
KLXVER said:

Then you don't really want to play them it seems.

Again, it's the psychology.  It's like New Yorkers going their who lives without visiting the Statue of Liberty.  If something is readily available to you, you're more likely to skip out on opportunities for it.

It's not about taking hits at me and my dedication.  That's not the discussion.

Well you are the only one missing out. This doesn't affect anyone but you. You wont buy the system and you wont use the emulator. That's not really anything Nintendo can do about.



Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:
KLXVER said:

Well you are the only one missing out. This doesn't affect anyone but you. You wont buy the system and you wont use the emulator. That's not really anything Nintendo can do about.

That's fine.  I completely accept that it's not a completely rational reason for one's desire of a product to be lowered.  When we get into the areas of pleasure and motivation, rationality is often cast aside.  Again, this isn't about me (though once upon a time I bought Animal Crossing for the NES games, so I am a potential customer lost).  I'm explaining a reason why emulators and pirating would hurt sales even among those that don't use them.

Fair enough. I just don't get that way of thinking. I would never deny myself the pleasure of a great game just because it was easily available.



NightlyPoe said:
KLXVER said:

Well you are the only one missing out. This doesn't affect anyone but you. You wont buy the system and you wont use the emulator. That's not really anything Nintendo can do about.

That's fine.  I completely accept that it's not a completely rational reason for one's desire of a product to be lowered.  When we get into the areas of pleasure and motivation, rationality is often cast aside.  Again, this isn't about me (though once upon a time I bought Animal Crossing for the NES games, so I am a potential customer lost).  I'm explaining a reason why emulators and pirating would hurt sales even among those that don't use them.

Emulation being so imperfect by nature means that many of these games really aren't 'available' for free.  Even on something like Dolphin, one of the best and most reliable emulators out there, many Gamecube and Wii games have simply never worked.  Factor 5 games are notorious for not working on any emulator. So if you want to play the Rogue Squadron games, the only way is with a legal hard copy on real hardware.  And even if you get a game that works in theory, it would often have glitches, unresponsive controls, a terrible framerate miles worse than the game has on real hardware, and other technical problems that make it like getting your teeth pulled.