By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I want to play Red Dead Redemption 2 in third person, but...

I've been playing RDR2 for a few hours now and I have some trouble getting used to the walking animations. Without pressing the run-button, Arthur walks/move dreadfully slow. This is especially frustrating when you're inside small houses and have to turn around constantly to collect items since you have to face them to take or when looting corpses. It's like Arthur has a 2 second delay before responding to your analogue stick. When pressing the run-button he suddenly starts walking to fast and people fall to the ground when touched slightly. Overall it makes interacting with NPCs and items a pain in the ass.

For some reason this isn't the case when playing in FPS mode. Normal walking speed is appropiate and the run-button is normal running speed. Why didn't R* apply this also in 3rd person view? I would play it in FPS mode if the game wasn't 30fps. I have a lot of trouble playing FPS games in 30fps, especially during action sequences. 

Did anyone else notice this and how do you deal with it?

Around the Network

Can we have a RDR2 main thread so there isn't a topic for every single detail in the game?

John2290 said:
Mordred11 said:
Can we have a RDR2 main thread so there isn't a topic for every single detail in the game?

Why would anyone running a site do that? It only hurts clicks and site revenue. 

Because it hurts user experience? My latest topic tab is filled with RDR2 entries.

John2290 said:
Yeah. He is waaay to sluggish. Hope they patch a solution, its the only draw on this game I can find.

Besides the clunky controls the game itself is amazing indeed. I didn't know this level of detail were possible on current gen consoles. 

Geez, spoiler alert. I didn't know the character movement was sluggish. God damn all these RDR2 spoiler threads.

OT: Just use the bikes and cars to get around.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Okay, I figured out why this is. It's the same as the horse riding, you tap in rythym with the horses gallop to speed up and same with Arthur, you hold X until he is at a stride and then rythym tap X slowly with his footsteps and you'll build momentumn. It's actually quite genius as when playing GTA people are alwayd tapping to run faster when there is no gain in reality, now there is :D.
Upping your sensitivities with aim and look is a must to for this game. In towns abd interiors might as well switch to first person though,makes things a lot smoother. Regardless, this is way, way better than The witcher 3 was before patches. They really should give a "classic controls" option though, if it's there I can't find it.

I just set run to toggle in the settings, no need for tapping. The problem is walking speed is dreadfully slow in 3rd person, run speed is fine. I explore in first person, much easier. What I don't get is sometimes it says press R2 to aim, and indeed L2 doesn't work to aim in those cases, yet when I press R2 he automatically shoots and alerts everyone. Stealth is better left to far cry anyway. Run in guns blazing until the R* spawn engine runs out of targets.