By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NPD: DQ XI had the biggest launch month in franchise history, dollar sales more than double DQ9

I really hope this game sells enough so we get more DQ games in the west. It didn't really help that Square Enix picked the worst time to release it.

Around the Network

That's great to hear, I wonder if this also includes Steam numbers. There were some people who really wanted this game to bomb because they have a preference for the Switch version so they'll be eating crow right about now.

Kerotan said:

NPD: DQ XI had the biggest launch month in franchise history, dollar sales more than double DQ9

https://twitter.com/MatPiscatella/status/1054961609700007936?s=19

Good to know, thanks for this news Kerotan !!

HintHRO said:
Good to see a turn-based JRPG doing so well in the current market. I'll get it when I have a goddamn job, which is probably never.

So true, I love this fighting system. Persona 5 and Dragon Quest Xi have the best fighting-system / gameplay in my opinion. Good luck, the cold winter would be the perfect time for this wonderful Dragon Quest Xi. Its the best DQ-Game with DQ8, thats sure!

Eric2048 said:
I really hope this game sells enough so we get more DQ games in the west.

Square Enix said the current Dragon Quest Xi sales figures are very important for the future in the west. Hope the best!

Sounds like in actual units, it sold about the same as DQIX on DS.

Never doubted the it would sell well, even after all this time and taking into account gamers owning both systems, there would still be a good sized base looking forward to another numbered DQ game on PS since DQ8 .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

It's great for Dragon Quest, that has struggled for decades to find a budding audience in the West.
If marketed well, it can do well. Hopefully, with games on PlayStation, PC, AND Nintendo consoles, it can continue the success in future installments.

JRPGfan said:

I remember people saying it wouldnt do well because, the 3ds version wasnt coming to the west and the switch version being delayed...
Kinda like with monster hunter, people where saying it would do badly because it wasnt on a nintendo system.

Look how things turned out okay anyways?
I expect this means future Dragon Quest titles also come to playstation + pc.

Also they released it in a busy part of the year, with plenty of competition.
just makes it all the more impressive.

I could be wrong on this, but I never saw anyone say that in relation to NA? In fact I feel like the consensus has been that Japan supports it's legacy consoles for significantly longer than the west in general. Meaning, 3DS games don't still sell here. I have heard people mention that in relation to sales of the Japanese version, but even then that's really only an admittance that the legs might be significantly better due to a future port. 

I don't think it's comparable at all to Monster Hunter, but I may be wrong. God, that was a terrible time to be an optimistic Monster Hunter fan. Literally had people saying they wished it would fail just because it wasn't on a portable. 

Good, because it is the best DQ ever.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Hiku said:

Since DQ9 was on 3DS, and retailed for almost half of a retail PS4/PC game, comparison in dollar sales to that game wouldn't be indicative of much.
And DQ10 was an online only game, I believe.

Though compared to other Dragon Quest games that launched at standard retail price, it may be a good sign of growing interest.

you probably think DQX, 9 had online feature, also don't forget that DS had massive numbers compare to ps4 right now

Are exact numbers known from Europe or America?
If not, maybe in November.