By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Remake So It Doesn't Suck?

John2290 said:
Hollow Knight. There is obvious potential here and the foundations of a great game yet I'd like to see them take the game and rework it from the ground up with the revenue they have acquired. I'd like to see some deeper systems at play in combat, mostly however there is much work all around to be done. Another title which has critical success fuelled by it's atmosphere mixed with it's creative cieling being met but not critiqued on the myriad of issues and frustrations as well as how it stacks up to genre leaders. A games atmosphere can only take it so far before the design issues start to rear their head. Bloody, self fart smelling Journos are a plague to my wallet at times.

How far did you get in the game?

Around the Network

I would say Sonic Unleashed, because I know a proper remake would redeem that game after experiencing the Sonic Unleashed Project mod to Sonic Generations on PC. I personally love the day-time stages and with Generation's refined controls, camera, physics, and stage physics they work really well with the boost-based modern Sonic gameplay. The graphics in the game (provided they run it at higher resolutions compared to the PS3/Xbox 360 releases) still hold up IMO and look really great. The day-time bosses, while a bit repetitive, are an absolute blast. They just need to remove the Warehog sections (which I guess is easier said than done considering the game's story would no longer make sense), remove the stage QTE's, and base it on Sonic Generation's more refined physics/controls.

Sonic 06. Duke Nukem Forever. Aliens Colonial Marines. Playstation's Smash Bros. Knock-off. Alone in the Dark (PS3/360). Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City.

CaptainExplosion said:
mZuzek said:

Zelda 2 is a shitty game mostly because of obscure progression points and overly punishing difficulty. It could actually be pretty good if remade with more modern sensibilities. Other than that, I'd really like to see Star Fox Zero without all the gimmicky Gamepad crap and with considerably more content and features, it could have been a pretty solid Star Fox game.

It can't be that bad. You want a Zelda game that IS bad? Look at the Zelda CD-i games.

Zelda 2 isn't as bad as today's gamers make it out to be. Not even close. Same with Castlevania 2.

killeryoshis said:

Castlevania 2 actually fun if you know what to do. Thing is that most people have no clue what to do. Once you start playing it and understanding the system it becomes a wonderful idea. However, it stills feel incredibly limited compared to the later games making it harder to enjoy fully. Though you have to be happy about the later Castlevania games since they are more like Simon's Quest than the other ones. 

Also, Castlevania 1 and 3 are hard but they really don't start getting really stupid hard until near the end. Dracula's Castle in 3 made me go crazy with all its enemies and bottomless pits. The darn game had no mercy. It didn't help that you only had 3 lives to get through the stage AND beat Dracula. (Who has 3 forms that you must be perfect with. Did I mention that the last form has bottomless pits? Ridiculous! )

Just a hint for Castlevania 3 (North American version only): If you enter your name as HELP ME, you will have 10 lives.

Castlevania 3 is easily my favourite traditional Castlevania game.  I own and play both the North American and Japanese versions on a regular basis.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
CladInShadows said:

Just a hint for Castlevania 3 (North American version only): If you enter your name as HELP ME, you will have 10 lives.

Castlevania 3 is easily my favourite traditional Castlevania game.  I own and play both the North American and Japanese versions on a regular basis.

Japanese Castlevania 3 is passable, but the American version is downright offensive. The way they cheapened the game so much just on an attempt to make it stupidly hard is honestly inexcusable, especially when even the Japanese version was quite hard. I'll admit I never used the HELP ME thing, because I didn't know about it, but it doesn't make the game any more fun. The thing that made Castlevania really awesome despite its difficulty was that it rarely felt cheap - you had a certain amount of health, and if you screwed up a certain number of times, you were dead. There was always a sense of strategy about how you navigate the levels and how you approach, or defend yourself enemies, and there weren't many bottomless pits in the game.

Castlevania 3, though? It's a shitshow of bottomless pit after bottomless pit, with the added bats or medusas flying by just to make things better. Besides, what's not to love about a 3-phase final boss, with a bottomless pit, that throws back halfway across the stage on each death?

CaptainExplosion said:

Besides, Zelda 2 still gave us many important factors of Zelda as a whole; visiting towns, bigger worlds, evil clone of Link, etc.

I'd like to see what if the Zelda CD-i games didn't suck.

Maybe "shitty" was a strong word, Zelda 2 isn't that bad, but it's certainly not good either. I'd rate it a 5/10 if I was feeling generous. It's just, as many games of that era, frustratingly difficult and frustratingly obscure about mostly everything. It needs a lot of improving if it was to be truly good.

We're definitely on opposite ends of the spectrum.  I play games for a challenge.  And Zelda 2 / Castlevania 3 both bring it.  In the right way.

Disaster Day of Crisis. That game has some incredible potential, but the gameplay is so bad. A remake could solve it all

mZuzek said:
CladInShadows said:

We're definitely on opposite ends of the spectrum.  I play games for a challenge.  And Zelda 2 / Castlevania 3 both bring it.  In the right way.

We're definitely not on opposite ends of the spectrum, stop assuming things. I've played several challenging games and enjoyed them, too. Castlevania 1 itself is an obvious example, it might not be as hard as Dracula's Curse but it's still generally considered pretty hard and I loved it. In fact, if it wasn't for the challenge I probably wouldn't have given two fucks about the game, which is exactly what happened with Super Castlevania IV.

Well OK then.

The Swords of Ditto - a by the books 'hero vs reincarnation of evil story' that experimented with permadeath, where if you die evil reigns until the hero is reincarnated and chosen to go fight the evil again. and it had EVERYTHING in its favor. an amazing art style, Devolver acting as the publisher, local co-op, promises of every hero you control having a different adventure. but in the end it was just so limited to what could actually be done, and it was repetitive and grindy as hell. if done right it could have been amazing, worth 100-hour save files just to explore everything, hidden secrets that only the most dedicated players could discover. but it just wasnt...

Monopoly - video game versions of board games suck and Monopoly is the worst contender out of them all. the rights are currently owned by EA so as you can guess every new iteration of the their Monopoly games just has more and more features stripped from the game, longer load times for unnecessary graphics, terrible interfaces, and it all distracts from the actual game. i personally love this game to death and would sell out in a heartbeat for a quality digital version

Spore - if Spore was made correctly, it would still have a dedicated fanbase today fight me on this. and the thing is that they werent even far off from making something great. Spore is still a competently made game that I have personally sunk hundred of hours into, but if there was just more content to be seen it would have blown all these new-age space sims (No Mans Sky, Star Citizen, etc) out of the water. make creature creation more intuitive, have more stuff to do in the space stage to help expand your empire, make the tribal stage less boring, add more strategy to the civ stage, and make the creature stage more diverse. the foundation is there, it just only has about 25% of what it would have

Jet Set Radio - not a bad game by any means, but unlike most, i have no nostalgic ties to this game so i cant see the full appeal of it. however, if it got remade i would be more than interested in playing it the full way through. update the mechanics, get some new 3D models, keep the cell shading and music. im actually thoroughly surprised nobody is asking for this

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
CaptainExplosion said:

How broken? What are the worst parts?

The game is supposed to allow you to either play stealthily or as a shooting warrior. The games entire stealth mechanic is broken. Not to mention the level design is pretty ass.

I played it on 360 when it originally came out, I have no recollection of it being buggy.

Its been a long time since I played it but I didn't feel there was much room for stealth, pretty linear shooter. I plan to eventually revisit on X1.

It was kinda just average really.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)