By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who bought Soul Calibur 6?

i'm gonna get it tomorrow

Around the Network
Hiku said:

I haven't picked it up yet, but I definitely will eventually. Got my favorite characters (Ivy and Xianghua) except for Viola.

alejollorente10 said: 

Oh I would not need Link as an exclusive feature to buy it but this would be cool.

Although not the same team, but still part of Bandai Namco, they've been going crazy with crossovers in Tekken recently.
If Negan can make it into Tekken 7, Link who was in Soul Calibur 2 could make it into SC6. Since there are no exclusive mascots for PS4 and XBO, it could be something unique for Switch to make up for a late port.

I'm not denying a late port.  Link has already been a guest.  Namco has pushed SCIV to PSP, and even Tekken 6, also to PSP.  There is no doubt it's possible for them to push SCVI to Switch.  I just don't see him making it back since no other guest has been featured twice, and with the switch, that's 4 consoles, and only one exclusive, for one console?

Also, that's the other thing.  There are no exclusive characters for the consoles the game is already on, so since they didn't bother to make exclusive PS, xbox, or valve (it is stream afterall) I don't see why they would bother doing so for the switch, and then make it a character who has already been in the series before on top of that?

Nigan is going to be available for every console Tekken is on.  Any soul calibur character they create will be something they can make money from on every console, otherwise, we'd already have console exclusive content.  Maybe we'll see exclusive custom items, but I wouldn't expect nintendo characters.

Also, they kinda are the same teams working on both games, just under a different name.  They share ideas, and when Tekken is done, many of those team members work on SCVI.  Maybe not the entire team, but trust me, there's some overlap.  Hopefully, the next big game is Tekken X Street Fighter.

Forgot to mention, but that pikachu is going to make me sick.

Wanted to but my backlog is too big right now, no time for a fighting game

Got Warriors orochi 4 instead the game was in fact sold out and had to buy it digitally.

Finally fired it up. Saw the intro movie. Then the game froze. I turned it off.

Not off to a great start, Sol Cal.

Around the Network
Hiku said:

Yeah, the fact that there are no console exclusives characters for the other versions is mainly why I wouldn't expect this to happen.
Though unique exclusive content to make up for late ports tends to happen. Some times even when there's no port delay, like in the recent Starlink game. It was released simultaneously on all platforms, but to my knowledge only the Switch version has exclusive characters, in the Star Fox gang. The PS4 and XBO versions are identical to each other, only missing the Star Fox stuff.

Customizable items would be an easier option. Though if Nintendo decided to get involved to incentivize something more, I could easily see them making it a full fledged character.
I don't think Link having already been in SC would hold him back from appearing again. Especially when Link is one of few suitable Nintendo mascots for a game like this. When balancing compatibility (melee weapon weilding) with popularity, he's undoubtedly #1. I think they'rre more interested in which characters are relevant today.
Though if they were to chose another character, I'd like it to be Zero Suit Samus with her whip. I'd prefer her over Link.

On the note of guest characters in general, I want to see 2B from Nier: Automata. She's very popular, and is appearing as a guest character in a bunch of mobile games. Trying to reroll for her currently on Star Ocean: Anamnesis.

Regarding the Soul Calibur and Tekken team, I was mainly referring to the producers who call the shots.

There was unique content in Tekken Tag Tournament 2. Even unique modes.  There are plenty of other characters to choose from.  Look at all the characters in smash brothers ultimate, (the nintendo characters) it's a bit of a stretch to think the only one that's suitable for soul calibur is the one they already used...  when back in 2003, most people couldn't name nintendo characters, outside of pikachu, mario, and Link.. with half of the people calling link as "Zelda."

"Did you see they're putting Zelda in Soul Calibur II?!"  If I had a dollar for every time someone called Link, "Zelda."

And, finally, Soul Calibur didn't come to switch for a reason.  Namco fighters dont sell on nintendo hardware.. except maybe Pokken.  Tekken did poorly on 3DS, and Wii U. Though, at the same time, they didn't release on time anyway.  Regardless, those that are interested in Soul Calibur are on PS4, or Xbox, with a few of those migrating to PC too.

Hiku said:
Burning Typhoon said:

There was unique content in Tekken Tag Tournament 2. Even unique modes.  There are plenty of other characters to choose from.  Look at all the characters in smash brothers ultimate, (the nintendo characters) it's a bit of a stretch to think the only one that's suitable for soul calibur is the one they already used...  when back in 2003, most people couldn't name nintendo characters, outside of pikachu, mario, and Link.. with half of the people calling link as "Zelda."

"Did you see they're putting Zelda in Soul Calibur II?!"  If I had a dollar for every time someone called Link, "Zelda."

And, finally, Soul Calibur didn't come to switch for a reason.  Namco fighters dont sell on nintendo hardware.. except maybe Pokken.  Tekken did poorly on 3DS, and Wii U. Though, at the same time, they didn't release on time anyway.  Regardless, those that are interested in Soul Calibur are on PS4, or Xbox, with a few of those migrating to PC too.

Yeah, I know there was unique content in Tekken Tag 2. I distinguished between "unique content" and "full fledged character". And I referenced it with "Customizable items would be an easier option" (dressing them up as Mario/Bowser, etc)
The reason I say I think Link is the most suitable character for Soul Calibur specifically is because he is one of few among the most popular Nintendo characters to wield a melee weapon. If we were talking about a different kind of game, or if Marth and Shulk had Link's popularity, I wouldn't have said that.
I don't think the fact that he was in Soul Calibur 16 years ago (4 games ago), would be a deciding factor though. Not only because I don't feel like there's any obvious second choice behind him. But also because it was such a long time ago that Soul Calibur 6 is a reboot that retells the original stories, and puts characters in their original costumes, etc. If anything it may be a more appropriate time than ever for Link to make a return, as he is also one of the characters that recaptures the essence of the first few original games.

I'd be a lot more surprised if they went with someone like Marth or Samus, even though I'd much prefer both of them over him. But again, Negan is in Tekken, so maybe the decision process is the producer throwing a dart at a wall.
If Twilight Princess Zelda was still a thing, I'd keep my fingers crossed for her, but I wouldn't hold my breath on such an old iteration of her, sadly.
Well, not that I expect any Nintendo guest character really. I don't even expect SC6 on Switch. But it would be nice to see.

That's my thought process for the most part too, though with the exception of Twilight Princess Zelda since I never thought of her as a possible option as a guest.

I also don't expect SC6 on Switch as well. However, one of the producers of the game mentioned the possibility of the game coming to Switch due to the Switch running UE4. I also would like it to come to Switch too. I'll likely get the PS4 version for now (once I start settling down during the holidays), but I will definitely get the Switch version too if it comes.

Haven't bought it yet. Locking Tira behind the season pass and just the whole dlc character thing soured me on day 1 purchasing. Plus black friday/cyber monday is only a month away.

The customization looks amazing, and SC 4 was the last one I enjoyed so I still plan to get it at some point, but as others pointed out, it launched in a crowded timeframe.

As for the Link/guest character for a potential Switch version, I could see Link, Zelda, or some Fire Emblem character being options. And I do see a Switch version being a possibility. Simply put, it would sell. Switch SC6 would be Namco's best selling Nintendo title in well over a decade, unless it takes them over a year or two to release it. At that point people won't probably care as much since the PC, PS4 and Xbox versions with all dlc will be the same price.

Yes, and in regards to a switch port I think it would make more sense to choose Samus. This would keep in line with not repeating guest characters and perhaps help hype Metroid Prime 4.

Day one here. I usually suck at fighting games but it seems Soul players are pretty bad on average.
It's a lot of fun and the character creation is surprisingly good. No quick match online option is kind of lame though.