By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I don't understand (Shadow of the Tomb Raider)

Honestly, I can't get to it now. I haven't even started Yakuza Kiwami 2 yet. I need to pick up Spiderman based on what I'm hearing. I have yet to snag Valkyria Chronicles 4. I just managed to finish the Torna DLC for Xenoblade. There are just a lot of quality titles out now.

Around the Network

You know my opinion on it- I don't consider rebooted TR to be TR in the first place, so the sooner it dies the better - then, after they eventually reboot it again, maybe they can pick up where they left it with Underworld.

I just finished it today and liked it quite a bit. I thought the writing was godawful for the first game in the trilogy, but the gameplay was pretty fun.

I liked the setting and events of Rise quite a bit, but I think the focus on exploration and adventure over combat in Shadow was a very welcome change, even though I wasn't as big of a fan of the Peruvian setting.

Overall, I think the trilogy has been good and improved since the first game. I'm surprised people are so lukewarm to it. Though, I guess it should be mentioned I never really played older Tomb Raider games, so perhaps that's why I'm more okay with the new ones.

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
I just finished it today and liked it quite a bit. I thought the writing was godawful for the first game in the trilogy, but the gameplay was pretty fun.

I liked the setting and events of Rise quite a bit, but I think the focus on exploration and adventure over combat in Shadow was a very welcome change, even though I wasn't as big of a fan of the Peruvian setting.

Overall, I think the trilogy has been good and improved since the first game. I'm surprised people are so lukewarm to it. Though, I guess it should be mentioned I never really played older Tomb Raider games, so perhaps that's why I'm more okay with the new ones.

Yeah the divide seems to be between old TR fans and new. I played the older games and frankly I didn't care for them much. I have enjoyed the first two games of the reboot, I'll probably enjoy Shadow when I get the chance to play it.

People don't like prequels, and this is the 3rd one in a row...

For me, the last 2 games didn't leave me with a great impression. They were all right game play wise, however too much killing, too gloomy and just not giving me a happy feeling after completing them. Reading the gloom and killing continues with just more check marks to try to appeal to a wider audience, no thanks. I'll play it when it comes to ps+ or if it's in a bargain bin for $5. I simply do not believe they can do dungeons and exploration right. Fading out the paint marks to make exploration 'harder' sounds like an insult and is completely missing the point.

Around the Network

It isn't cinematic enough. Puzzles are hard. Too much actual gameplay. 7.8

I played the first two. Really like the first one, but by the 2nd half of the sequel it seemed like I was just playing it to finish it (which I did). I don't know, just really felt the formula was worn out by the end of it. I got similarly worn out of the Uncharted series by the end of the 3rd, as well as the Halo games too. Might just be a thing for me.

Still might buy it eventually, though.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

epicurean said:
I played the first two. Really like the first one, but by the 2nd half of the sequel it seemed like I was just playing it to finish it (which I did). I don't know, just really felt the formula was worn out by the end of it. I got similarly worn out of the Uncharted series by the end of the 3rd, as well as the Halo games too. Might just be a thing for me.

I felt that way in Uncharted 4 but I toughed it out and really enjoyed it as the game went on. I felt pretty proud as the credits rolled. I can understand the fatigue factor, though.

d21lewis said:
epicurean said:

I felt that way in Uncharted 4 but I toughed it out and really enjoyed it as the game went on. I felt pretty proud as the credits rolled. I can understand the fatigue factor, though.

Yeah, I still played 4 and finished it, and was glad I did. But at some point you just get tired of something and are only playing to see the story, or for completionists sake. I eventually played Halo's 4 and 5, too, so there's probably a good chance I'll finish this series as well. But finishing up Spider-Man now, and already bought Valkyrie 4 and Original Sin 2, and with RDR 2 coming soon it'll probably be 2019 before I get there.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS