By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The SNES version of doom is awesome

The SNES version was awesome. It was so fun to take a step or two back just to hit the guys on upper level. If it comes to VC, i'm not going to purchase it. It still was better than the PC version.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

It's no Super Noahs Arc 64.

I'm a big fan of the SNES (it's still my all-time fav. system), but come on...:-0

I'd take the PC ver. over the SNES one anyday. Hell I'd take the 32X ver. over the SNES ver. (I think Doom was my only 32X game actually, hahaha ;-p)

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

disolitude said:
highwaystar101 said:
I have completed Doom on the GBA and PC many times before, but I have just recently began playing through the SNES version and I am hooked. For me it plays exactly how I expect it to for a console, I am addicted to this game all over again. Has anybody played this version? What do you think is the best version of the original?

Im not too sure I agree. I remember playing the snes version and finding it worse than my 32X version...and we all know anything 32X is garbage...

Compared to Jaguar, 3D0, PS1 and ultimately the PC versions...the snes version can't really compare.

I think you should head on over to Wikipedia and read up on Doom history. The SNES version is generally rated higher than many other versions except for the original PC game. The 32X and Jaguar versions both suffered worse graphics and from my understanding, about a third of the game was entirely cut out of the old 32X Doom. The SNES Doom is one of the truest-to-original ports except for the fact that the enemies are always facing you and the swastika was malformed. 

I still own the SNES and N64 Doom titles and I loved the hell out of them.  Completing SNES Doom was one of my prouder achievements from the SNES days.  It's pure hell fighting that damn Cyber Demon when the guy is always facing you!!  Hell, the Jaguar version didn't even have music.  The 32X Doom lacked the final episode and the BFG9000.  All these things (music, episode, BFG) were present in the SNES game.  They Cyber Demon and Spider are also not in the 32X and Jaguar versions, but they're in the SNES game.  In fact, the SNES version is said to be the one that most closely resembles the PC original when compared to pretty much any console port except for the Playstation version(s).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versions_and_ports_of_Doom

Resident_Hazard said:
disolitude said:
highwaystar101 said:
I have completed Doom on the GBA and PC many times before, but I have just recently began playing through the SNES version and I am hooked. For me it plays exactly how I expect it to for a console, I am addicted to this game all over again. Has anybody played this version? What do you think is the best version of the original?

Im not too sure I agree. I remember playing the snes version and finding it worse than my 32X version...and we all know anything 32X is garbage...

Compared to Jaguar, 3D0, PS1 and ultimately the PC versions...the snes version can't really compare.

I think you should head on over to Wikipedia and read up on Doom history. The SNES version is generally rated higher than many other versions except for the original PC game. The 32X and Jaguar versions both suffered worse graphics and from my understanding, about a third of the game was entirely cut out of the old 32X Doom. The SNES Doom is one of the truest-to-original ports except for the fact that the enemies are always facing you and the swastika was malformed. 

I still own the SNES and N64 Doom titles and I loved the hell out of them.  Completing SNES Doom was one of my prouder achievements from the SNES days.  It's pure hell fighting that damn Cyber Demon when the guy is always facing you!!  Hell, the Jaguar version didn't even have music.  The 32X Doom lacked the final episode and the BFG9000.  All these things (music, episode, BFG) were present in the SNES game.  They Cyber Demon and Spider are also not in the 32X and Jaguar versions, but they're in the SNES game.

I don't need wikipedia for this. I played the Snes Doom quite a lot. It looks like crap...really fuzzy with a lot of textures and animations removed. The controls are also quite sluggish compared to later ports. Just because it has all the levels and all the guns doesn't make it a good port.

It had kickass music too...

Nevertheless it was a great achievement on a console like super nintendo but lets not go crazy here and claim its the best port of the game.

Around the Network

Used to play it alot since i had no pc. I had a lot of fun. In fact, without the quick saving feature, the game is very very much harder, you have to learn all the stages to be able to complete the game.

disolitude said:
Resident_Hazard said:
disolitude said:
highwaystar101 said:

I still own the SNES and N64 Doom titles and I loved the hell out of them.  Completing SNES Doom was one of my prouder achievements from the SNES days.  It's pure hell fighting that damn Cyber Demon when the guy is always facing you!!  Hell, the Jaguar version didn't even have music.  The 32X Doom lacked the final episode and the BFG9000.  All these things (music, episode, BFG) were present in the SNES game.  They Cyber Demon and Spider are also not in the 32X and Jaguar versions, but they're in the SNES game.

I don't need wikipedia for this. I played the Snes Doom quite a lot. It looks like crap...really fuzzy with a lot of textures and animations removed. The controls are also quite sluggish compared to later ports. Just because it has all the levels and all the guns doesn't make it a good port.

Nevertheless it was a great achievement on a console like super nintendo but lets not go crazy here and claim its the best port of the game.

I said that it was a better overall port than most other console versions, except for the Playstation version which is considered the best console release. I never had any problem with the gameplay of the SNES game, myself, and felt that it moved pretty smoothly. Looking back, I think it moved remarkably smoothly for what system it was on and what technology it was using.  Now, of course, I can recognize the lower framerate, but I can still appreciate how much of a push it gave the SNES technologically. 

I can hardly think that soundless, glitchy ports with missing weapons, characters, music, sound effects, and levels can be better.  The SNES version isn't perfect as the one-sided enemies are sorta lame, but you get the same problem with the 32X and 3DO versions, with several other, much worse, problems piled on top.  I'm not sure about the Jaguar Doom enemies--whether they were one-sided as well or not.  Sounds like that was about the only thing they did right in porting that one.  But back then, if you were making a high-quality title, you weren't putting it on the Jaguar anyway.

You're selling the SNES Doom short.  As far as I'm concerned, it offered one of the best atmospheric gameplay experiences to be had during the 16-bit days, only bested by Super Metroid's much more dramatic atmospheric presentation and music.  And without music, or proper music anyway, and without some sound effects, I just can't see 32X, 3DO, or Jaguar versions even coming close.  That atmosphere is one of the things that made Doom awesome. 

For my money though, despite the aging engine, I still think Doom64 is still one of the better-looking N64 games.

disolitude said:
Resident_Hazard said:
disolitude said:
highwaystar101 said:

I still own the SNES and N64 Doom titles and I loved the hell out of them. Completing SNES Doom was one of my prouder achievements from the SNES days. It's pure hell fighting that damn Cyber Demon when the guy is always facing you!! Hell, the Jaguar version didn't even have music. The 32X Doom lacked the final episode and the BFG9000. All these things (music, episode, BFG) were present in the SNES game. They Cyber Demon and Spider are also not in the 32X and Jaguar versions, but they're in the SNES game.

The graphics were better on the 32X but the gameplay and music were far superior on the SNES then the 32X.