By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Labryinth of Refrain Demo

So has anybody else played the demo for this game? Refrain is a Dungeon RPG like Etrian Odyssey, Wizardry, or Darkest Dungeon. It was made by Nippon Ichi, so if you like the visuals of Disgaea and the complexity it has that in spades. I thought the voice acting and story in the demo were ultra cringeworthy though. Between Luca's super high pitched voice, and the bad fanservice, I couldn't really wait for each cutscene to end. A huge difference between the Etrian Odyssey games, and this was the inability to see the map at all times. Constantly having to bring up the map menu, instead of just being able to glance at a bottom screen was a huge hit to QoL. The demo didn't have much of a boss battle, so it was really hard to get a feel for the combat. Regular enemies were just bowled over by my team, without any thought whatsoever. 

I wanted to get this game, and I might still get it eventually. But the demo did nothing but kill my hype levels for this game. Perhaps the game really ramps up in the next few levels, but what I saw so far was kinda meh. 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
I couldn't be bothered to download it. The description of the game was unappealing and so was the price and publisher. It's such a common occurence on the eShop to stumble across a game with an interesting name, only to find out that NIS is the publisher which goes hand in hand with absurd prices relative to how the game looks.

Yeah that's another thing that makes me pause to get this. The price is $50 for a port of a Vita game. It's like The World Ends With You costing $60 on Switch. $60 for a port of a DS game. 

RolStoppable said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Yeah that's another thing that makes me pause to get this. The price is $50 for a port of a Vita game. It's like The World Ends With You costing $60 on Switch. $60 for a port of a DS game. 

Ports of bad games. That's what makes these cases especially deplorable.

TWEWY was a good game, so long as you don't mind rapidly aging your DS screen from the non-stop stylus swiping. But $60? Why? It was $30 on the DS at launch. What in the world justifies the price hike? Same goes for Refrain. It was $40 or so on the Vita. Why the price hike? 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 21 September 2018