By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Spider-Man PS4 sold 3.3 million units in three days, becomes fastest-selling PS4 exclusive

Mr_No said:

Excellent! And well deserved. This game was a lot of fun and really well done.

If 3m physical units were sold in a weekend, imagine the rest of the month... the rest of the year... digital sales... bundle sales... Black Friday... Probably 7 million units before the end of the year.

Hopefully it was profitable for Sony, Insomniac and Marvel for a sequel to be made.

I would be very curious if Spider-Man was more profitable overall  than Battlefont 2  (The Disney connection). Unfortunately I doubt it. 

Around the Network
forevercloud3000 said:
I predict the game will end up with at least 5 million before year's end. When they do the inevitable GOTY edition that includes the DLC by this point next year I think it will sell 7mil Lifetime. It will be the most successful game Insomniac has ever had and I am happy for them. They are continuously rated one of the top 10 places to work in US, have a sharp pedigree in the industry, they deserve it.

This will also open up quite the door for them with working with Disney. Many might not know this but Insomniac has 2 studios. One in California, the newer one in North Carolina. They really didn't seem to have enough work to support having two studios. Several of their last endevours were complete busts or just not largely successful, like FUSE, Song of the Deep, or to a much less negative extent Sunset Overdrive. but this changes that. Spider-Man 2 is all but assured to happen with them now. I love that they are seemingly able to do this without being controlled by any one publisher. Publishers have too much say in what goes into a game, it is indicative of an industry that has far too many "me too" games. Like every game being a MOBA or Battle Royal these days. Them being allowed to work with what they like is very beneficial.

You sound so serious but I cant believe that. I guess you should adjust your expectations since it's already at 5m after 10 days. Average drop of 40% in week 2 in Europe and Asia. Extrapolate that to USA and other areas and the game is at around 4.7m + let's say 300k bundles and that's 5m.

Lifetime its gonna be 10m + easily 

Stories unfolded with my home made rap songs. Feel free to listen here with lyrics: https://youtu.be/vyT9PbK5_T0

SKMBlake said:
Train wreck said:

LOLLL!  Are you really counting the time that it was available on Amazon as the official start of sales?  The game has been available to preorder everywhere since the game was announced.

Also as someone mentioned before, the game went on sale September 7th worldwide.  Your Preorder/Predownload is not counted as a sale until 12:00am on that day. 

This is why the internet can be dangerous, I'm sure there is someone somewhere who would take the above and push it as fact. 

Yeah, you're right, on the internet, when people will read "Spider-man sold 3,3 millions just in 3 days", they will think that 3,3 millions people hurried up to buy the game the first 3 days. And that's not the case, people decided to buy the game way before by preordering it. But all the preorders are counted as day-one purchases, which makes sense, until some day we have this kind of anouncement.

But that's how the entertainement business works nowadays. Big numbers for day one or first week, that's the only thing that matters. That's why EA decided tobdelay Battlefield V, to have big numbers day one.

Spider-man numers will be impressive when it will hit the 10 milliond mark by the end of the month, or the year.

Pre-order were 1M, so you still have 2.3M in 3 days. So no need to have any downplay.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

and you had to have a ps4 to play, consoles sold must be nuts. how man xb360 sold when halo3 launched?

Mar1217 said:
Mr_No said:

Excellent! And well deserved. This game was a lot of fun and really well done.

If 3m physical units were sold in a weekend, imagine the rest of the month... the rest of the year... digital sales... bundle sales... Black Friday... Probably 7 million units before the end of the year.

Hopefully it was profitable for Sony, Insomniac and Marvel for a sequel to be made.

Both of these are already accounted for.

I've heard versions here and there where the bundles are and aren't accounted for. Since I don't know which one is exactly true, I guided myself by the OP, which hasn't been corrected yet.

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
Train wreck said:

LOLLL!  Are you really counting the time that it was available on Amazon as the official start of sales?  The game has been available to preorder everywhere since the game was announced.

Also as someone mentioned before, the game went on sale September 7th worldwide.  Your Preorder/Predownload is not counted as a sale until 12:00am on that day. 

This is why the internet can be dangerous, I'm sure there is someone somewhere who would take the above and push it as fact. 

Yeah, you're right, on the internet, when people will read "Spider-man sold 3,3 millions just in 3 days", they will think that 3,3 millions people hurried up to buy the game the first 3 days. And that's not the case, people decided to buy the game way before by preordering it. But all the preorders are counted as day-one purchases, which makes sense, until some day we have this kind of anouncement.

But that's how the entertainement business works nowadays. Big numbers for day one or first week, that's the only thing that matters. That's why EA decided tobdelay Battlefield V, to have big numbers day one.

Spider-man numers will be impressive when it will hit the 10 milliond mark by the end of the month, or the year.

Errrr...  you know that this is the case with pretty much EVERY SINGLE big budget game, right?

Congrats to Insomniac! It will surely reach 10 million.

PS4 is only breaking records

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

loy310 said:

and you had to have a ps4 to play, consoles sold must be nuts. how man xb360 sold when halo3 launched?

Well theres already 80 million PS4s out there.

OT: wow! Well deserved! We need more Marvel games like this! 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

the-pi-guy said:
Replicant said:

So the bundled copies ARE included in the 3.3 mill?

Yes.  

The USA article is poorly written.

Everyone assumed "that figure" was talking about the 3.3 million, but there are literally 3 sets of numbers between "that figure" and the "3.3 million".  

Oh, ok. Thanks