By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Valkyria Chronicles 4 review thread. (85 Opencritic)

So Valkyria Chronicles 4 isn't out for weeks. But this morning I saw that Easy Allies had a review up. And Opencritic has 19 reviews for the game so far. So I guess I'll make this thread. 

From what I understand from the reviews, is that Sega went ahead and just cloned the first game. For me that's fantastic, because I've been pining for a console sequel to Valkyria Chronicles for a decade now. The Switch version runs just fine, from what I played of the demo. Also I get to open this bad boy in a few weeks...

Around the Network

So glad its solid. I didn't have the right equipment to play 2 or 3!

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

It looks just like the first game and that's completely fine with me. Looks like it should be a great time playing, and I'm ecstatic it'll be releasing on PC as well. I've played VC and VC3 (via emulator + fan English patch) and am looking forward to good times ahead with VC4. I do hope that VC3 gets at least a digital release in the near future. It's a wonderful game and deserves to be played by more people, and I'd love to own it in English.

Don't know if I've ever seen an Opencritic-only aggregate score thread. Congrats to you on being different. :) 86 on Metacritic by the way.

I have the deluxe Man-Boy Edition edition ordered and on the way. Planning on moving this one way up ahead in the queue. Maybe even playing it this year.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Cerebralbore101 said: 

From what I understand from the reviews, is that Sega went ahead and just cloned the first game. 

Megiddo said:
It looks just like the first game and that's completely fine with me.

With the way you guys worded that I take it you haven't played the demo yet?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Cerebralbore101 said: 

From what I understand from the reviews, is that Sega went ahead and just cloned the first game. 

Megiddo said:
It looks just like the first game and that's completely fine with me.

With the way you guys worded that I take it you haven't played the demo yet?

I played the demo. Hell, I made the demo thread. The only new addition, from what I could tell, was the mortar type class. 

COKTOE said:

Don't know if I've ever seen an Opencritic-only aggregate score thread. Congrats to you on being different. :) 86 on Metacritic by the way.

I have the deluxe Man-Boy Edition edition ordered and on the way. Planning on moving this one way up ahead in the queue. Maybe even playing it this year.

Metacritic varies wildly right now on a per platform basis. So I chose to go with Opencritic. It's not like the game is going to run significantly better on any one platform. It's a Sega game, and they are using the same engine as the PS3 original. 

I hope they included the Japanese Voices like the first one, but actually synced it to the subtitles this time.

Cerebralbore101 said:
COKTOE said:

Metacritic varies wildly right now on a per platform basis. So I chose to go with Opencritic. It's not like the game is going to run significantly better on any one platform. It's a Sega game, and they are using the same engine as the PS3 original

Derp. My bad. I just looked at the PS4 version. I guess I still think of it as a PS game, even though it's on everything now.

Also @ bolded. Huh. No foolin'? I didn't realize this. PS3 game looks fine, but I'm still hoping there's some improvement beyond resolution when I play it on the Pro.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Metacritic varies wildly right now on a per platform basis. So I chose to go with Opencritic. It's not like the game is going to run significantly better on any one platform. It's a Sega game, and they are using the same engine as the PS3 original

Derp. My bad. I just looked at the PS4 version. I guess I still think of it as a PS game, even though it's on everything now.

Also @ bolded. Huh. No foolin'? I didn't realize this.

Well, Fallout 4 technically uses the same engine as Fallout 3. So there's probably going to be some improvements. But not so many as to make the Switch version significantly worse.