By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UK: Spider-Man is fastest-selling game of the year (200k+ retail only)

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-09-09-uk-charts-spider-man-is-fastest-selling-game-of-the-year

Looks like spiderman is a big hit:

PS4 exclusive Spider-Man is the fastest-selling game of 2018 so far.

It narrowly beat previous record-holder Far Cry 5 (which was available on more platforms), and sold almost double that of the previous biggest exclusive of the year - God of War on PS4.

Not only that, but it's the fastest-selling Marvel-branded game in history, beating previous title LEGO Marvel Super Heroes by a big margin.

It's also the fastest selling individual format game since the PS4 version of Call of Duty: WWII in November last year. Spider-Man is the latest in a long-line of hit PS4 exclusive single-player games.

Around the Network

Not surprised at all, Spider-Man is a huge brand.

RolStoppable said:
Sounds good on the surface, but this week was UEFA Nations League, so what else were people going to do?

You can do much better then that. 

@thread 

So it looks like spiderman might beat the god of war opening WW. That was over 3m. Is 5m doable? Including digital obviously. 

Far Cry 5 - 200-210K

Spider-Man > FC5

Uncharted 4 did 190K

Spider takes gow? Monster sales.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Kerotan said:

You can do much better then that. 

Ireland too, but did they? Computer says 'no'.

Again you can do much better then this. 

Sh1nn said:

Far Cry 5 - 200-210K

Spider-Man > FC5

Uncharted 4 did 190K

Holy moly. So new record for a ps4 exclusive. 200k+ and I'd guess digital of 50% so this could be a 300k UK debut. Spiderman 2 will be developed for ps5 now surely. 

Mar1217 said:
Gotta stop you. It's specified the numbers are coming from physical sales only.

So, if we use GOW FW numbers from UK. Then it gives us something around 160k-180K.

We know nothing about digital sales yet.

All in all, this is still humongous for UK's market. Spiderman does impressive numbers indeed. But it wasn't even put into question if it would do well ... cuz I mean ...

IT'S FREAKING SPIDERMAN !!

Those god of war estimates were apparently not correct and its known fc5 did over 200k retail in the uk so spiderman has done 200k+. I'd honestly guess digital will be 45 to 50% giving it a chance to do 300k week one. 

Sorry but I'm still going to do it:

I FUCKING CALLED IT. People severely underestimated how popular Spiderman is. Sony went absolutely ham with the marketing, even more so than Uncharted 4. Besides like Halo 3, Destiny 1/2, and COD, I can't think I've seen a single game marketed at much as as spiderman. My friends who have a PS4, are excited for this, yet they haven't even heard what horizon zero dawn is and can't tell out an Uncharted game when they see it.

Mark my words, this will be the best selling PS4 exclusive, over UC4, over Horizon, over GOW, over TLOU 2. Mark my words.

Heck, this game has a good shot of surpassing the best-selling Sony published game on a single console, which is Gran Turismo 3 at 14.89 million units (iirc).

Last edited by flashfire926 - on 09 September 2018

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Kerotan said:
Mar1217 said:
Gotta stop you. It's specified the numbers are coming from physical sales only.

So, if we use GOW FW numbers from UK. Then it gives us something around 160k-180K.

We know nothing about digital sales yet.

All in all, this is still humongous for UK's market. Spiderman does impressive numbers indeed. But it wasn't even put into question if it would do well ... cuz I mean ...

IT'S FREAKING SPIDERMAN !!

Those god of war estimates were apparently not correct and its known fc5 did over 200k retail in the uk so spiderman has done 200k+. I'd honestly guess digital will be 45 to 50% giving it a chance to do 300k week one. 

That'd be closer to 360k-400k 

I wouldn't be surprised if it became the best selling PS4 game ... but I also wouldn't be surprised if GOW4 ended up having better legs than Spider-Man. And wasn't GOW relatively an American centric franchise sales wise UNTIL GOW4? Wouldn't be surprised if GOW4 still sold more worldwide.