By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you expect a "new Trailer" of FFVIIR at TGS 2018?

SammyGiireal said:
finalrpgfantasy said:

The game will be episodic but it won't be like the Telltale Games (2-4 hours each episodes).  Each episode will be full-sized games.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-7-remake-will-be-multiple-full-sized/1100-6438387/

I wonder what Square means by full sized games. The Midgar area the first part?  If it's taken them this long to make that chunk of the game, my toddler will be out of highschool by the time we get to the North Crater. I was looking forward in all honesty to a great remake as FFVII is my fave JRPG. But Square hasnt made a great FF since Hinorobu left, and the entire "Episodic" thing has kinda killed my interest for the time being. I assume the open world craze in today's gaming has created a hurdle for them. They need to create a realistic planet, not just a 3D world map like back in the 1990s that would seem the one reason to justify splitting the game up, other than to milk our cash obviously.

It exist, and it's called Final Fantasy X :P

I agree with you on the last part, but not because of the open world craze.  In a sense, old school FF's games were open world.  SE needs to create an open world game with a great scope of exploration in areas (something  old 3d ff's games lacked, imo) and those areas need to blend realistically with the 3d environment (world map).  This must be a huge work for the FF VII remake team.

Around the Network

To be fair to SE, if I remember correctly they did say somewhere that the announcement was so early because they wanted to make the announcement meaningful instead of having it leak. I don't know if they will continue to put trailers out until they're fully focused on it, similar to what happened to FFvs13/FF15.
On the episodic stuff, I have mixed feelings. If they make it a 3 part where part 2 and 3 are basically expansions that come out each year after, that would be perfectly fine, and I wouldn't mind the added cost to get it early, but if it's 3 distinct games that maybe carry over saves like mass effect, I think that would be terrible.

Would surprise me..I dont give it much of a chance but crazier things have happnd.. but I do think Squeenix might show some good stuf at TGS. Another KH3 trailer seems likely, DQXI for Switch could happen and Quiet Man? Looking forward to it at least =)

finalrpgfantasy said:
SammyGiireal said:

I wonder what Square means by full sized games. The Midgar area the first part?  If it's taken them this long to make that chunk of the game, my toddler will be out of highschool by the time we get to the North Crater. I was looking forward in all honesty to a great remake as FFVII is my fave JRPG. But Square hasnt made a great FF since Hinorobu left, and the entire "Episodic" thing has kinda killed my interest for the time being. I assume the open world craze in today's gaming has created a hurdle for them. They need to create a realistic planet, not just a 3D world map like back in the 1990s that would seem the one reason to justify splitting the game up, other than to milk our cash obviously.

It exist, and it's called Final Fantasy X :P

I agree with you on the last part, but not because of the open world craze.  In a sense, old school FF's games were open world.  SE needs to create an open world game with a great scope of exploration in areas (something  old 3d ff's games lacked, imo) and those areas need to blend realistically with the 3d environment (world map).  This must be a huge work for the FF VII remake team.

Agreed. By open world craze I meant world’s today are pretty much on real life scale, unlike the 1990’s but you are right in the 90’s JRPG overworlds were the definition of open worlds in those games. Leaving Midgar for the first time in 97 was an awe inspiring experience. But I think that’s the big challenge how to translate the planet into a realistic open world in real scale. Skyrim, Witcher, HZD, BotW all take place in a region of a larger world. FFVII was a glove trotting quest. PS I didn't like the fact that FFX did away with the open world.