By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox X trade in value lower then ps4 Pro?

COKTOE said:
shikamaru317 said:

Just checked Amazon for comparison. You get $195 for trading in a PS4 Pro vs $258 for trading in an XB1 X. My guess is the Gamestop Pro pricing is a limited time deal, Gamestop does those sometimes, usually trade values are comparable between Amazon and Gamestop. Trade-ins are a ripoff either way, you're much better off to sell a console privately in a local bulletin board, Craigslist, or newspaper classified ad, or to create a private seller account on Ebay or Amazon and sell it that way, than you are to trade-in. You can get at least $400 for XB1 X as a private seller and at least $350 from PS4 Pro as a private seller.

Check top right corner for trade value:

https://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Pro-1TB-Console/dp/B01LOP8EZC/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1535732088&sr=1-3&keywords=playstation+4+pro

https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-X-1TB-Console/dp/B074WPGYRF/ref=zg_bs_videogames_85?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=H991BC7P1WQMW22EEP5C&th=1

I guess. Depends on the situation to some degree. I sold a Game Boy Advance + 3 games about a month after it launched. I recouped most of my money, and didn't have to wait long, selling to the first person who came to my place look at it. I went the trade route for the XB360 about a year after it launched. The console, 22 games, extra controllers, various other accessories......It could see it being a pain in the ass to sell privately, so I just took it into EB. Took store credit, which bumped up the $$$ value. Still took a hit on it vs selling privately, but well worth it to avoid the parade of strangers coming into my home, vs being done with it in 30 minutes. IMO.

You sold your goods smartly. People keep trying to demonize Gamestop for what is really just common sense. Gamestop is a RESELLER not a BUYER. They don't buyback things at their sell value because then they can't make a profit. When people go into gamestop they have this notion of how much they spent on those individual items vs what they are getting. They overvalue what their stuff is worth because it holds sentimental value(if only from thinking that you spent your hard earned money on it).  What they never seem to factor is

1. You are not the only person selling that item to gamestop at the store level OR company level

2. Gamestop will never sell through even half of what they buy. IE For every Madden you trade in there is likely at least 50 more at any given store.

3. Your games are valued at a point of which they can give you money but recoup cost for the several others they bought. IE Buy Madden for $4, Sell it for 15 in X amount of time to make up for the 50 copies you have in a year.

Selling things yourself with always have the potential to give you more, because you are effectively cutting out the middle man. Now if you tried to make a business out of selling/reselling you would quickly come to understand the practice. And while thats a great idea for some situations most also quickly find that its a waiting game for a good buyer at actual sell value. Most things don't sell instantly and time is money. Many usually have to resort to sweetening the deal in order to entice buyers and at that point you are breaking into Gamestop territory.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network
DialgaMarine said:
I imagine PS4 Pro still sells better in most, if not all, markets, so it makes sense for it to have a higher trade in value. the retailer can flip a bigger profit with it, instead of having it collect dust and take up shelve/ inventory space.

Its amazing how poor the logic is of long time users can be. Like how many years have to pass before a person achieves the ability to create a valid argument? Mayhaps bias clouds the brain.

Okay... you didn't consider if Gamestop is paying less for an X1X and selling at a higher price than a PS4 Pro, that means the profit for a used X1X is bigger! I mean seriously people, think for just a moment.

On a side note, fuck Gamestop. It should be easy to sell a X1X on Amazon or eBay for $350+.

User was Warned for Flaming due to this post - cycycychris

Last edited by cycycychris - on 01 September 2018

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Kerotan said:

I was reading on twitter that the gamestop trade in value for the xbox x is actually slightly lower then the ps4 Pro. I can't get on their website to confirm because my ip isn't American so maybe somebody can check. 

I find this very surprising given the high price of the xbox x but it's obviously supply and demand at work. Too many people trading in the X compared to demand and the opposite for the pro. High demand but not a huge number of trade ins. 

It's because PS4 offers superior experience and other consoles inferior ones.

Ipse dixit.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/dev2016/thread.php?id=237498&page=1

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Buying up PS4 Pros and sell for profit on eBay sounds like an easy way to make clout!

May be on their store there is less demand for X1X than Pro.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Just checked.
Xbox One X 1TB is 230 in store credit.
PS4 Pro 1TB is 250 in store credit.

Cash is $200 vs $186 in favor of PlayStation, too. I guess demand dictates value!

d21lewis said:
The retail prices are still $500 vs $400, XB1X vs PS4P. Such a loss in value is pretty staggering, especially when it comes to Xbox. I need to see what they sell for used because it would seem like GameStop is making an absolute killing on used hardware.

Thanks for finding it out as my ip wouldn't allow me access. Crazy to think you will get more value for trading in your pro then the more expensive xbox x. 

LudicrousSpeed said:
flashfire926 said:
I think it's more to with the fact that there is somewhat of a shortage of pro's in the US, so Gamestop offers higher trade-in value for that. Makes sense.

This. I myself am strongly considering getting a Pro and theyre not in stock anywhere and shipments seem to have stalled. I’m thinking I’ll try for one of those fugly Spider Man ones or, failing that, just get another regular PS4.

Jeez you must be really really eager to get a ps4 Pro if you're considering getting a model you think is ugly. My advice is just wait to get one you want especially if you already have a ps4.