By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg: "Our Userbase Is Made Up Of More Hardcore Gamers"

https://wccftech.com/greenberg-xbox-userbase-more-hardcore/

From the article:

Xbox might not have the biggest userbase this generation, with PlayStation 4 consoles outnumbering Xbox One units over two to one, but the customers are ‘more hardcore’ than competitors. That’s what Aaron Greenberg, Senior Director for Global Product Marketing at Xbox, said in an interview with IGN Italia at Gamescom 2018.

"I notice the same and identical thing on my friends list and the data we have available suggests exactly that. Hardcore players, those who prefer the best gaming experience, have always been on our side, from the first Xbox to Xbox 360 and now with the Xbox One X. Looking at the numbers and results of the competition, we have a smaller installed base, but the attach rate and sales data for many games are much higher on Xbox. This is due to the fact that our userbase is made up of more hardcore gamers, and we return to the previous point: it is our relationship with the community that puts us in this position. We are at Gamescom especially for our users and the Xbox Fan Fest and we do similar activities all over the world. Along with Phil Spencer we are always very attentive to this aspect, it is really important to spend time with our fans and we will continue to do so, it is part of our way of being."

Around the Network

When you don't share numbers, it's easy to say "it's way more than our competitors"

Didn't think that they would outright say "we have a smaller installed base".

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Lol. I love the explanation for the attach ratio.

A smaller user base is almost always going to be made of more hardcore gamers. He's probably right about that but it's not really something to brag about this late in the generation. It just means you failed at attracting casual gamers.

As far as "the best gaming experience," though, I'm pretty sure their initial failure on that front is part of the reason they lost market share. Most of this is just spin.

Around the Network

"This is due to the fact that our userbase is made up of JUST hardcore gamers, and we return to the previous point:"

he's gone bonkers

Xbox has more hardcore gamers than Playstation....................lol

Considering the attach ratio is quite similar and that they made the kinect that is hard to consider true. Would like him to provide sources.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Percentage-wise, most likely yes. Quantity-wise, most likely no.

Wow, they're going after attach rates now. I wonder if they realize that this glowing marketing piece is basically an admittance to complete failure of capturing the audience they set out to get with the initial concept.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.