By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Supporter cash going to good use.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Guess you just gotta take it at what happened, site went down for somewhere between 12-24 hours, it's unlikely to have been a coding issues on the part of the people working here directly as they would have reversed their mistake almost instantly and it would have been back up. I would guess it was server maintenance from the provider of the site while they done some upgrades and the info just didn't get down the grapevine to the users here while it took place.

That it was something related to the server is the common assumption, so it wouldn't surprise anyone if that turns out to be the case.

But to be honest, my biggest problem has been the silence that has come from the team. Not here nor on on of teh other threads has come any of the mods or site admins to say anything. That's what bothers me, that they don't think it's worth to tells us what has happend... Because the other option is that they don't know what happened either, and that would be an even bigger concern.

Like I said, what was going on probably didn't come down the grapevine... as far as the people on the site, ioi might well have just gotten an email which said what was going to happen and forwarded on a "site'll be down for half a day, don't fret about it too much, can't be helped" type of message.

Seems to have been a one off but relatively long down time for any site to have with no announcement before hand so yeah I agree it's strange but the likely best answer is, "it just had to happen and it happened and don't fret about it"

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Down for another few hours last night. Very strange

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

It is strange. Additional logging has been implemented to determine the root cause.

Happened again this morning.

Twitter: @d21lewis

Around the Network

I was just now able to access the site after 2 decent stretches were I couldn't. Good luck figuring out what the problem is.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Oh, oops. I made mashed potatoes out half of our server farm for the mod team. My bad.

Ganoncrotch said:
JEMC said:

I can't believe that no one has said anything yet.

Guess you just gotta take it at what happened, site went down for somewhere between 12-24 hours, it's unlikely to have been a coding issues on the part of the people working here directly as they would have reversed their mistake almost instantly and it would have been back up. I would guess it was server maintenance from the provider of the site while they done some upgrades and the info just didn't get down the grapevine to the users here while it took place.

Not likely maintenance from the data center the site is hosted in.  They typically schedule maintenance or outage windows and inform the clients well in advance.  Or they did tell VGC and VGC just has never told us.

But the length of downtime, the time of day for most active users and the erratic nature with multiple outages suggest it specific to the server VGC is hosted on and not maintenance by the data center.

To VGC, if you need a more stable host, let me know.  I have colocation, cloud, VPS and managed hosting with 100% power and network uptime.

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

Thanks to jlauro (and trads too), for comming to say something.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Thanks to jlauro (and trads too), for comming to say something.

In all transparency, the mod team in general experiences and discovers the outages in the same manner you do. We aren't privy to any additional tools to discover what the source is and our best course of action is also asking Site Admins and hoping they can come to a resolution quickly. 

No one is fond of these outages and we all wish they'd go away or we had more knowledge on when and why. So I gotta hand it to the community for taking it in stride and keeping together. Thank you for being constructive and patient about it and working with us.