By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4: Insomniac Stunned By Spiderman Pre-Orders

Random_Matt said:
Wonder what MS would of made you do?

I can't help but wonder if Microsoft would have pitched a GaaS title.  I think they would value long term revenue projections over delivering a top quality stand alone work.

Around the Network

Great to know.

VGChartz confirms that Spiderman have more pre-orders than any other game except for Red Dead 2.

Bristow9091 said:
COKTOE said:

"Marvel wanted to work with one of the big studios and specifically mentioned us. Sony said 'Hey are you guys interested in working with Marvel?' and we said 'Of course, but what character do they want us to do?' And they were like, 'Oh no, they want you to pick. You guys can have all the choice of which one you want.' It was like 'Oh wow. So huh, ok, that's an overwhelming decision,'" Stevenson recalls, laughing with the kind of childish glee someone has when they're given the keys to the candy store."

That all sounds so fanciful. Like they couldn't have possibly gotten a better offer. Respected, sought out, and given what appears to be carte blanche in choosing the character they wanted to work on. It's nice to hear about such goings on amidst the all the, sketchy, slimy, and borderline nefarious activities that are entwined with corporate gaming culture.

Just imagine what could happen if, in the future, Marvel and Sony get in touch with them again and are like "So, we loved your Spider-Man game, you totally delivered, how would you like to work on ANOTHER game for us? It can be a sequel or you can even pick a different hero if you'd like!"

I'm actually hoping this isn't just a one-off and Insomniac become THE Spider-Man studio, or get a chance to work on other Marvel games too... please don't let the IP fall into the hands of Activision again! :P 

I'm with you in hoping Insomniac becomes a the go-to Studio for Spider-Man/Other Marvel heros on PS4. And hey, if the next one goes multi, so be it. Not too likely given the relationship Sony/Insomniac have, to say nothing for the relationship Sony/Spider-Man/Marvel have.

And F*** yeah to keeping the IP away from Activision. :)

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Spiderman 2 sold 5 million copies when you combine Xbox, GameCube, and PS2 sales together. And Spider-Man 2 wasn't anywhere near GotY material. Insomniac's game on the other hand will give Arkham Asylum a run for best super hero game ever made.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Well liked studio, thats rideing a "high" (when was its last bad game?).
AAA levels of effort, into a big IP like Spiderman.

It was bound to do well, and have good preorders.

I'm not sure about  bad games  but Fuse was  a mediocre game. still a good track record, what they are missing from their resume is  having a game with both critical and sales success large enough to move them to the top level. Going from selling games that sat in that middle area of 2-3m up to 7m plus and rising for Horizon, has put Guerilla in a prime spot to benefit from its increased audience and reputation going forward and I feel Spiderman is the game to do that for Insomniac.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 20 August 2018

It's awesome that a passionate studio that clearly gives a shit about the product that they're working on is given such a prolific and exciting character to work with. I can't wait to play this when it comes out! I'm gonna pre-order it in a couple of days. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

Random_Matt said:
Wonder what MS would of made you do?

Sea of Webs =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Its all sounds so unrealistic but imagine what would be happen if Sony and Marvel colaborate on more games mean Captain America for PS4 or Doc Strange even Thor/Black Panther. This would be insane as someone mentioned up - Sony Marvel Studio.
I hope Spider-Man will be megabomb for PS4 and sell crazy well. So then could be chance for more Marvel super heroes games.

zkp said:
Its all sounds so unrealistic but imagine what would be happen if Sony and Marvel colaborate on more games mean Captain America for PS4 or Doc Strange even Thor/Black Panther. This would be insane as someone mentioned up - Sony Marvel Studio.
I hope Spider-Man will be megabomb for PS4 and sell crazy well. So then could be chance for more Marvel super heroes games.

It was me that said it =]

And I think it would be great to have these IPs being worked by talented Sony devs. But I can see it wouldn't be cool for MS/Ninty fans, problem is I don't trust most 3rd parties to do such a great job unfortunately.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."