By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A look at the Switch's library so far...

So the Switch is going on a year and a half of it's life, and I thought it would be nice to take a look at what it has offered thus far.  Many people, myself included, have been a but disappointed by the offerings in terms of saftware for the first half of the year.  However was this truly a disappointing period, or was the 1st year just so good that it made it LOOK worse than it was...let a take a look...

2017 1st party and 3rd party brand exclusives

Zelda BotW

Splatoon 2

Mario Plus Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Super Mario Odyssey

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

ARMs

Fire Emblem Warriors

1,2 Switch

Last Gen Nintendo Ports 2017

Mario Kart 8 Delux

Pokken Tournament DX

Current gen multiplats

DOOM

Dragonball Xenoverse 2

Disgaea 5 Complete

NBA 2k18

FIFA 18 Switch

WWE 2k18

Sonic Mania

Sonic Forces

2017 3rd party lest gen ports

LA Noir

Resident Evil Revelations

Resident Evil Revelations 2

Skyrim Special Edition

Street Fighter 2

Not too bad, a lot of 1st party games of high quality and a decent number of current gen ports (albiet a year or two late, but the Switch just came out).  Now lets look at 2018...

2018 1st party and 3rd party exclusives

Kirby Star Allies

Mario Tennis Aces

Octopath Traveler

Pokemon Lets Go (upcoming)

Smash Ultimate (upcoming)

Xenoblade 2 Torna (upcoming/stand alone release)

Mario Party Switch

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate

2018 last gen WiiU ports

Bayonetta

Bayonetta 2

Hyrule Warrior Deluxe

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Current gen multiplats (some late again) 2018

Ys VIII

Wolfenstein II

Dragonball Fighters (upcoming)

Valkyria Chronicles 4 (upcoming)

Crash N Sane Trilogy

Megaman Collection

Megaman X Collection

NBA2k19

FIFA 19 Switch

Fortnite

Paladins

Warframe

Shining Resonance Refrain

Starlink (upcoming)

2018 last gen 3rd party ports

Dark Souls Remaster (upcoming)

Okami HD (upcoming)

Diablo III (upcoming)

Now I know there are still a few jrpgs I forgot to mention, but these are the titles that stand out to me off the top of my head.  Throw in the fact that there are hundreds of indie titles as well, and we have enough data to look at I feel.

The first half of 2018 was a slow time, no doubt about it.  However it is not as bad as it appears at first glance.  It looks worse than it is due to the exceptional 2017 line up, and therefore hit us a little harder overall I feel.  One thing is for certain though, the second half of 2018 is doing great.

IMO, the Switch library a year and a half in is rich and offers a lot.  Even as someone who has had a PS4 sonce launch, there are plenty of new experiences to explore on the multiplat scene as many of these games I had to pass on initially.  The many who did not own a WiiU has a lot to benefit from as well.  Compared to the library of the PS4 and X1 a year and a half in, I would say the Switch has the OVERALL superior line up by comparison.

It is also geared up to have another successful holiday with a Pokemon game and Smash in the mix, and 2019 looks to hit about as hard as 2017 did IMO.

Those are my thoughts on the Switch library so far.  So what do you think?    How do you feel about the overall library so far?

Last edited by Shiken - on 18 August 2018

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

OP is like 5x bigger than it needs to be, format please! Also if this is an overall library thread then why seperate games by year? Makes it look like yet another 2017 vs. 2018 thread.

Anywho, from a business perspective the Switch's library is obviously great as the sales show, selling ~170k+ every week even when without substantial new releases. Personally I'm really disappointed in the delays of Fire Emblem and Yoshi, also with how Pokemon Let's Go turned out, but still very much satisfied with my Switch, though admittedly it is a Splatoon machine, so droughts like the one we're in currently won't phase me.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
OP is like 5x bigger than it needs to be, format please! Also if this is an overall library thread then why seperate games by year? Makes it look like yet another 2017 vs. 2018 thread.

Anywho, from a business perspective the Switch's library is obviously great as the sales show, selling ~170k+ every week even when without substantial new releases. Personally I'm really disappointed in the delays of Fire Emblem and Yoshi, also with how Pokemon Let's Go turned out, but still very much satisfied with my Switch, though admittedly it is a Splatoon machine, so droughts like the one we're in currently won't phase me.

I chose this format because to me it is more pleasing than a wall of text.  For some reason, when I post it spaces everything out more than how I actually typed it.  Not much I can do about it.

BTW how is the hacking situation in Splatoon 2?  I have heard some things but I have not been on in a while to see it for myself.  Is it really that bad, or is it blown out of proportion.  I figure you would know better than anyone.

Crash already released on the Switch, is not upcomming anymore!But nice OP

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Shiken said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

I chose this format because to me it is more pleasing than a wall of text.  For some reason, when I post it spaces everything out more than how I actually typed it.  Not much I can do about it.

BTW how is the hacking situation in Splatoon 2?  I have heard some things but I have not been on in a while to see it for myself.  Is it really that bad, or is it blown out of proportion.  I figure you would know better than anyone.

Well you could go into HTML but eh!

Probably a 0.01% chance of running into a hacker.

Around the Network

Switch library has been good to me. I have to resist not buying everything so i wont have a backlog.

umegames said:
Switch library has been good to me. I have to resist not buying everything so i wont have a backlog.

I kind of feel the same way.  Between Switch and PS4, there are way more games out than I have time to play lol.

I think I am going to a one game a month policy once I catch up.  Easier on my wallet.

Okami HD has been available on the Switch since August 9.

Yep, this year is very solid, just not as awesome as last year was. 2019 is also looking to be an excellent year, with the possible releases of Metroid Prime 4, Pokémon Core RPG, Bayonetta 3, Shin Megami Tensei V, Fire Emblem, Yoshi, No More Heroes and so on. I'm looking forward to the event that will disclose the 2019 line up that's supposed to happen later this year.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

I think the main problem with this year is there hasn't been a single AAA game released. Well I guess perhaps Fortnite counts? Does it? At least it is really popular, don't know if it counts as AAA. Nintendo themselves have released a few AA new games and ports, but not a single major game. Considering the Pokemon this year is a spin off of Pokemon Go I wouldn't consider that AAA either. So basically Nintendo, with all of their resources essentially now being able to focus on a single system for the first time, are somehow going the whole first 11 months of the year without releasing a single AAA game, and then just releasing one in December. In terms of indies, and second tier first party and third games and old ports the Switch's year has been alright, but 14 months between a single AAA first party game releasing (SMO to Smash) when they don't even have to split there support in half between focusing on two systems, is just outrageous.

The only thing that would make this make sense is if they focused most of their resources on the big 2017 games and then need two years to get the next round of big games going and they are gonna blow us away in 2019 with many major first party titles again. If you're just looking for big title highlights to rank a year's worth of software by, Switch has almost nothing for the whole year outside of Smash, at least in terms of first party stuff. I'm starting to question their priorities though that they would go 14 months between AAA releases, not that AAA releases are all that counts, cuz they only have so many properties that can be classified as such, but still that is a ridiculously long draught especially when considering they really only have a single system to focus on now.