By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - July 2018 NPD: Switch #1, Octopath Traveller #1 software, UPDATE

Lawlight said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Yeah, Switch first party games sales will top all ps4 first party games like nothing

Be sure to let me when Switch software sales top PS4 software sales. People so easily forget that people don’t just play first party games.

Heh, i'm pretty sure i told you about first party games sales only and you know what will happen about them in the end so you are trying to shift it to total software sales to cover that, for a member of downplay and defense force, nice try and effort. Also, i have to thank you because whenever you appear, it is either praise Sony victory or downplay Nintendo amazing sales so yeah, in this case, Nintendo really did very great. Hope you continue, i need to know if Nintendo do good or not

Last edited by HoangNhatAnh - on 23 August 2018

Around the Network
HoangNhatAnh said:
Lawlight said:

Be sure to let me when Switch software sales top PS4 software sales. People so easily forget that people don’t just play first party games.

Heh, i'm pretty sure i told you about first party games sales only and you know what will happen about them in the end so you are trying to shift it to total software sales to cover that, for a member of downplay and defense force, nice try and effort 

Hang on, you shift the focus from the global hardware numbers that I was talking about on my post to first party sales and now you accuse me of doing the same? Not only does Sony not release first party game sales but overall software sales is more important than first party games sales. Why? Because people play more than just first party.

Let me ask you - how many first party games has Nintendo sold on the Switch and how many has Sony sold on the PS4? Exactly - you cannot answer that.

Lawlight said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Heh, i'm pretty sure i told you about first party games sales only and you know what will happen about them in the end so you are trying to shift it to total software sales to cover that, for a member of downplay and defense force, nice try and effort 

Hang on, you shift the focus from the global hardware numbers that I was talking about on my post to first party sales and now you accuse me of doing the same? Not only does Sony not release first party game sales but overall software sales is more important than first party games sales. Why? Because people play more than just first party.

Let me ask you - how many first party games has Nintendo sold on the Switch and how many has Sony sold on the PS4? Exactly - you cannot answer that.

Because ps4 and Switch came out at the same time, LOL. Why don't you wait till the end of Switch life? At the moment, BoTW and Odyssey give both Horizon and Knack a run for their money, even the small games like Kirby and Yoshi can still sell least over 1 million. Sony small budget first party games? Well, they sell very big, major success... to Sony fans 

Last edited by HoangNhatAnh - on 23 August 2018

2019 will be probably Switch peak year (Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4 and other unannounced games will do the job).

HoangNhatAnh said:
Lawlight said:

Because ps4 and Switch came out at the same time, LOL. Why don't you wait till the end of Switch life? At the moment, BoTW and Odyssey give both Horizon and Knack a run for their money, even the small games like Kirby and Yoshi can still sell least over 1 million. Sony small budget first party games? Well, it sell very big, major success... to Sony fans 

Now or in the future you will never be able to do a comparison because you won’t have the numbers do the comparison. You say that long lasting IPs like Kirby and Yoshi (knowing that these games typically sell 2-3 million) that  can sell at least over 1 million? Do you think it’s different for the Sony’s small games?

Around the Network
Replicant said:
Miyamotoo said:

It stands because this year will be best or second best year in US for PS4. Its also stands because we again talking about one of best PS4 years, so saying "Switch finally winning a month against a 5-year old system" losing point because we talk about one of best PS4 years, so Switch is battling against one of best PS4 years not worst one like you sounded. If talk about same period sales, Switch is selling on pair with PS4.

I think Lawlight's point is that Switch needs strong sales now if it's as front loaded as other Nintendo consoles.

N64 (2nd year peak)
Launch: 1996
Peak: 1998

Gamecube (2nd year peak)
Launch: 2001
Peak: 2003

Wii (2nd year peak)
Launch: 2006
Peak: 2008

Wii U (1st year peak)
Launch: 2012
Peak: 2013

3DS (2nd year peak)
Launch: 2011
Peak: 2013

Switch (? year peak)
Launch: 2017
Peak: ?

On the contrary, PS consoles have all peaked in their 4th or 5th year with the exception of PS2.

PS1 (4th year peak)
Launch: 1994
Peak: 1998

PS2 (3rd year peak)
Launch: 2000
Peak: 2003

PS3 (5th year peak)
Launch: 2006
Peak: 2011

PS4 (4th/5th year peak)
Launch: 2013
Peak: 2017/2018

We can only speculate whether Switch will peak early or not so let's just be happy that it's selling great right now.

It feels like the Switch is more relevant that the Wii ever was despite the Wii having the highest sales. I fully expect The Switch to continue selling really well into its third or fourth year. Maybe it will peak in its 3rd or 4th year but The Switch honestly does feel like the most accepted of Nintendos consoles in a long long time regardless of sales.

Lawlight said:
BlackBeauty said:

We will never know the real software sales of switch becaus nintendo don’t report eshop only downloads where as Sony reports everything.

This is not true.

? Not true to what? Your delusion? 

Total Sofware report for switch are only retail games.

Moderated - think-man

Last edited by think-man - on 23 August 2018

zorg1000 said:
LipeJJ said:

The way I see it Switch should peak next year (year 3) if Nintendo releases the games that are supposed to come out (mainline Pokémon alone should be worth 2 megahits combined like Zelda and Mario).

It could also get a price cut and/or revision.

IMO its safe bet that Switch will have both of them next year.

BlackBeauty said: 

We will never know the real software sales of switch becaus nintendo don’t report eshop only downloads where as Sony reports everything.

We will know from Nintendo internal ship numbers of top 10 best selling games.

Lawlight said: 
HoangNhatAnh said: 

You do realise you comparing sales of software of platforms where one is released 3.5 years before second and where one has around 4x bigger install base!?

Saying that, Switch already has 3 games that have sales over 10m or near 10m with install base of 20m, how many games with around 10m sales PS4 had with install base of around 20m at all? Not single one 1st party game probably in that time didnt pass even 5m, even if take in account 3rd party probably only GTAV was near 10m.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 23 August 2018

Updated OP with more informations.

BlackBeauty said:
Lawlight said:

This is not true.

? Not true to what? Your delusion? 

Total Sofware report for switch are only retail games.

No, Nintendo reports all software sales in their earnings reports.