By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Polyphony should learn from Naughty Dog's porting of The Last of Us to PS4 17 million games sold later

Is Polyphony Digital the PS3 of this generation?

Yes. They let their mind ... 5 50.00%

No. They're still selling... 5 50.00%

Total:10

GT6  could've expanded to PS4. I don't understand what they did to keep the game locked on PS3 system forever. The Last of Us was supposed to be the swan song of  PS3 but Naughty Dog still ported the game and found bigger success on the PS4 than it did for former.

There were cross-gen critics and cynics but it went smoothly for ND. 17 million TLOU copies sold later and it is now Playstation's biggest exclusive. It could've introduced Gran Turismo to xbox and wii refugees who wanted to go back to the Playstation Ecosystem. It still doesn't make sense to me that they have to be this dumb not to want money when they have a chance to get that without the effort of  building a game from the ground up.

If someone asks why I'm using an alt account, CGI and Truckusaurus got me a temp approval until I get my iconic and notorious "kurasakiichimaru" account back. :p

Around the Network

Totally different architecture and Polyphony wanted a clean cut, a true next gen racer. I doubt anyone on PS4 would’ve been contend with PS2 models and trashy vacuum cleaner sounds.

Was there really a need for this thread?

Errorist76 said:

Totally different architecture and Polyphony wanted a clean cut, a true next gen racer. I doubt anyone on PS4 would’ve been contend with PS2 models and trashy vacuum cleaner sounds.

Graphics isn't everything. For a developer who got away from charging fans with a glorified demo called GT Prologue, they'll get away from less like graphics or audio criticisms and the sales of GT6 only speaks for itself why we need this thread.

Ka-pi96 said:
Why learn from Naughty Dog specifically? Bethesda, Rockstar etc all ported PS3 games to PS4 and had success too. It was a pretty standard thing for all publishers.

They're both first party developers. The comparison seems more appropriate with Naughty Dog than Bethesda or Rockstar but I get your point. I really do.

Last edited by kurasakiichimaruALT - on 13 August 2018

If someone asks why I'm using an alt account, CGI and Truckusaurus got me a temp approval until I get my iconic and notorious "kurasakiichimaru" account back. :p

Errorist76 said:

^this.

one and done.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

flashfire926 said:
Errorist76 said:

^this.

one and done.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/i-really-wish-gran-turismo-6-was-ported-to-ps4.1352518/

I'm not the only one who asked the same questions. Almost everyone seems to be in agreement that GT6 should've been ported to PS4. It doesn't even matter if it was Polyphony who did the port. The fact is there was demand and Polyphony or Sony should've seen that.

Around the Network

They just need to make a proper GT7.

PotentHerbs said:
They just need to make a proper GT7.

No one's saying they should now make a GT6 Remaster. It's too late for that but if PD is developing GT7, PS5 should also be on their minds already.

twintail said:
kurasakiichimaruALT said:

GT6  could've expanded to PS4. I don't understand what they did to keep the game locked on PS3 system forever. The Last of Us was supposed to be the swan song of  PS3 but Naughty Dog still ported the game and found bigger success on the PS4 than it did for former.

TLoU is narrative heavy. GT6 isn't.

I don't really see the connection here. Polyphony having to go back and port the entirety of GT6 is an undertaking that ND would have most likely not bothered to do.

I doubt the financial backing would have even been worth it.

Whatever the risk was. It would've been worth it. Gran Turismo sells on its name alone but Sony let GT fans wait for four years before Gran Turismo Sports was released. That is damn too long even considering Gran Turismo's PS3's long cycle of development. The mindshare of Gran Turismo for this gen is in critical conditions. Forza and other racing sims caught up or to put it accurately, Gran Turismo has gone down because of its long absence in the generation of PS4.

If Polyphony is still sane, they should know they can't keep resting on their laurels. The prestige remains but they are in trouble of losing sales and mindshare as the racing sim genre continues to shrink in market size. They do not even have have other IPs to fall back into if Gran Turismo flops so they have to be smart or evolved the game to continue or reclaim their dominance in the racing sim genre.

This is still great though. Sony have reasons to be more critical to Polyphony's autonomy. Their sales underperformance and naivete of this current generation should lit a fire under their butts so they won't make the same mistakes again.

kurasakiichimaruALT said:
flashfire926 said:

^this.

one and done.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/i-really-wish-gran-turismo-6-was-ported-to-ps4.1352518/

I'm not the only one who asked the same questions. Almost everyone seems to be in agreement that GT6 should've been ported to PS4. It doesn't even matter if it was Polyphony who did the port. The fact is there was demand and Polyphony or Sony should've seen that.

In that case, people are impatient as heck, and want things NOW rather than later. These are the types of people that lead to rushed, unfinished games, therfore they shouldn't be listened by any dev, period.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.