By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony first Party games sales, A huge leap from PS3 era. ( Entered Ninty Level ) Update: GOW at 10m & Uncharted 4 16M

IMO drop the nintendo level narrative. Just focus on the fact that SONY has done a good job this gen of fixing what they did seriously wrong last gen.

Yet another Mario Kart selling however millions and millions is good for them but to me it is functionally just an iterative same game over and over again.  Horizon Zero Dawn a brand new IP selling over 10 million is amazing and way more impressive to me than yet another mario game selling whatever.

When Nintendo does amazing or when SONY does amazing shouldn't detract from one or the other.

Last edited by dharh - on 03 March 2019

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network

Sony has done done such a lovely job of cultivating new IPs, old IP's and generating consumer confidence over a long period of time. You can't buy that. You really can't. You can't even have a booming voice meaninglessly say "exclusive" over and over again while your competition pays the flute.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 03 March 2019

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

BraLoD said:
pikashoe said:

I don't mean to offend you here, but this is the biggest load of nonsense I've heard on this site in a while. Your acting as if everyone literally migrated instantly from ps360 to ps4. The fact is most early adopters are going to be big Sony fans that in all likely hood already had the last of us on ps3. Just because it released on ps4 does not mean the entire potential audience moved to ps4. At this point the ps4 hadn't even sold 20 million yet. And most 3rd party games were still releasing on ps360.

I call bullshit on none of your friends rebuying the game. Either you have very few friends or your lying. If you said very few of your friends double dipped that would be more believable. 

Of course price matters the whole point of this thread is that Sony are entering Nintendo levels with there ips. Nintendo games don't go down in price Sony games do. That has a big impact on sales. If Sony games could do these sales at full price then they would be on Nintendo's level.

The paragraph about Zelda doesn't make much sense. I don't know what your trying to say here. 

I'm not trying to take away from the last of us. i m just saying the 17 million figure doesnt show the entire picture. Also the last of us is only one tiny bit of my argument. Probably the least important part of my argument.

Again, not a single one of my friends rebought TLoU, in fact I have very few times seem any ever buy a game twice, first world problems I guess?

Check my PSN account to see if TLoU was ever played on a PS4 on my account, for instance.

I've got its platinum, if you are about to mean I don't like it or something so I wouldn't rebuy it, btw.

And to remember you, we are both conjecturing here, none of us have any actual data on how many times was the game rebought.

Pretty sure you mean to offend me, tho, using words like bullshit and saying I'm lying out of the blue while you just typed nothing but personal experience yourself, and on top of that incredible over exaggeration while purposely pretending to not doing something you just bring to the conversation for that only one reason, to offend.

I dunno why you are going that way but since you are, go do that with someone else, if you want to be ridiculous it won't be with me.

You don't want to reason, you show no reason yourself, and you dismiss for the sake of dismissing.

And you even end with a conclusion I have addressed on my own post as if you didn't even read it: I would not have sold 17M without the PS4. I've said that.

We stop this here, you'll be ignored from now on.

Sorry if i was insulting, i damaged my shoulder recently and was in a lot of pain when i replied to you. I know that isn't an excuse, but I regret some of the things I said to you.

I never said you bought it again. I feel like you've just been putting words in my mouth and assuming what I mean to say rather than actually listening to what I'm saying.

What am I exaggerating. Your the one that seems to be exaggerating. I'm not saying that literally everyone that bought it on ps3 bought it on ps4, but that in all likelihood a decent portion of people double dipped. Your the one saying that no you know has ever double dipped which seems like an exaggeration. I'm not sure about where you are from, but in Europe and the US (Sony's biggest markets) double dipping is pretty common. 

Double dipping isn't some uncommon thing. Many people have bought Minecraft 2/3 times or more. Gta v is another game that a lot of people bought again on next gen consoles (this is a game that I don't know anyone that bought it on ps4/xbox1 that didn't already have it on ps360). Mario kart 8 is a big example of it on switch. There are people that will buy the same game half a dozen times on different consoles, that's an extreme example but it happens. 

Again I apologise for being rude earlier.

COKTOE said:

Sony has done done such a lovely job of cultivating new IPs, old IP's and generating consumer confidence over a long period of time. You can't buy that. You really can't. You can't even have a booming voice meaninglessly say "exclusive" over and over again while your competition pays the flute.

I agree, i feel like there biggest weakness in the early days was there lack of 1st party content. I think the 360 gaining a lot of 3rd parties helped push sony to make more of there own content. It seems to be paying off wonderfully this gen. They also have great advertising now which helps a lot.

The Playstation Exclusives this Gen have been superb. Playstation has always catered to the genres that I am into; RPGs,ocassional platformer, and Story driven action titles. Yet once upon a time my interests solely laid with 3rd party published games on their systems. Not anymore!!!

Something that has boosted their success with their games greatly is the fact that they are Single Player. They have shined in an era where all the 3rd parties want to do is chase the ghost of big microtransaction heavy multiplayer. I love this about them.

Very curious about what they will have ready for next gen. I have my suspicions.

Launch: The Last of Us 2 will be PS5's version of BOTW. Cross gen but large focus on next gen enhancements. The series is huge for them. So many first time PS players I talk to talk about how TLOU was the game to turn them. Naughty Dog is an almost peerless studio, up with the elites like Rockstar in sheer quality. I am thinking Dreams is going to be a surprise cross gen smash, but I also think it will end up being free or a Minecraft family friendly price of $20.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network
colafitte said:

Uncharted franchise sales were almost 42M by December 2017 and was 28M just before Uncharted 4. So by then UC4+ UC TLL was 14M sold to consumers. Considering UC TLL just launched in the summer and a lot of people played it via season pass, i'm pretty sure UC4 would be 10-11M of those 14M sales at least. More than a year after those numbers UC4 probably sold another 1M, so if i have to guess, UC4 should be around 12M sold by now, probably more.

Then we have TLOU. Just before the PS4 version launched in 2014, the PS3 version was announced to have sold around 7M. By June 2018, TLOU (PS3+PS4) sold 17M. Knowing the game is still charting in PS4 sales everywhere, i won't be surprised at all if the game is already ahead of 18M, and i'm pretty sure, 10M at least must come from the PS4 version.

Horizon Zero Dawn, has been already confirmed to have sold "well over 10M units", so let's say around 10'5M units in two years.

Gran Turismo Sport launched on October 2017 and it was announced on July 2018 to have surpassed 5M players, so let's say the game was close to sell 5M by then. Knowing how historically GT sales work with its slow pace, if i have to guess, the game probably must be close to 6M by now and it will keep selling until next GT comes. In the end, won't reach 10M but it well sell well enough.

Spiderman sold 9M just before December 2018, so we can almost confirm it must be close to 11M by now, if not more.

God of War, probably will know the numbers for the 1st anniversary in a few weeks, but i'm pretty sure the game will be close to 10M if not alrady ahead of that.

Those are the "confirmed" games that have sold very well on PS4 as exclusives, and all of them are from different IP's. Days Gone is looking like it's going to sell a lot too this year, and it's another potential 10M seller in a year or two. Ghosts of Tsushima looks even more promising. TLOU 2 is a guarantee, and in my personal opinion is destined to beat every Playstation exclusive record at launch. Death Stranding will sell a lot at the start but i don't know if it will have the same kind of legs as the other ones. And Dreams, will sell well, but i don't expect anything close to 10M, but who knows...

So, TLOU, UC4, Horizon, GOW, Spiderman, Days Gone, Ghosts of Tsushima, TLOU Part II, and maybe Gran Turismo Sport, Death Stranding or even Dreams in the long future are or could be 10M+ sellers. All of this, competing against the most succesful 3rd party games also in the same platform.

Good to know. Thanks for your comment!

forevercloud3000 said:
The Playstation Exclusives this Gen have been superb. Playstation has always catered to the genres that I am into; RPGs,ocassional platformer, and Story driven action titles. Yet once upon a time my interests solely laid with 3rd party published games on their systems. Not anymore!!!

Something that has boosted their success with their games greatly is the fact that they are Single Player. They have shined in an era where all the 3rd parties want to do is chase the ghost of big microtransaction heavy multiplayer. I love this about them.

Singleplayer Games are the best :D Awesome Story/Gameplay with interesting characters - thats the heaven for me :)

VAMatt said:
MasonADC said:

I definitely think Halo in its prime is just as successful as TLOU, but sadly those days are long gone 

It depends on your definition of successful.  But, in terms of legacy, general impact on gaming, and importance to the platform holder, Halo is definitely the most significant non-Nintendo first-party IP.  It's second only to the Mario family (though it is a distant second).  

Halo has lost a lot of it's shine.  But, that doesn't erase how big of a deal it has been, or the impact it had.

Halo is no longer that. 10 years ago it might have been second to Mario but not anymore. 

10 million plus sellers:
The last of us
Uncharted 4
Horizon zero dawn
God of war
Marvel's Spider man

Wow, Other than the gran turismo games, these are the only sony published games that sold over 10 million. And all of them on PS4.
What a generation its been for Sony.
With install base of over 100 million, its fair to assume that games like 'the last of us 2' , 'death stranding', 'ghost of tsushima' and hopefully 'days gone' would all be 10 million sellers.

Geralt99 said:
10 million plus sellers:
The last of us
Uncharted 4
Horizon zero dawn
God of war
Marvel's Spider man

Wow, Other than the gran turismo games, these are the only sony published games that sold over 10 million. And all of them on PS4.
What a generation its been for Sony.
With install base of over 100 million, its fair to assume that games like 'the last of us 2' , 'death stranding', 'ghost of tsushima' and hopefully 'days gone' would all be 10 million sellers.

I was hoping great PlayStation's exclusives would do this kind of numbers.

JRPGfan said:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/gran-turismo-sports-hits-over-7-million-players.1473022/

GT Sports is now at ~7.1m Players (feb 21st 2019).

Even if this GT was kinda a fail, in that it focused way to much on online multiplayer.... it must have sold well enough to reach a player base that size.

Seems like GT still got it. Still the king of racing sim.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."