By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony first Party games sales, A huge leap from PS3 era. ( Entered Ninty Level ) Update: GOW at 10m & Uncharted 4 16M

potato_hamster said:
routsounmanman said:

Huh? I did not imply they're doing something wrong with that. If anything, Nintendo SHOULD follow suit and bundle stuff like ARMS, Bayonetta, and other brand new or lesser known ip in order to make them grow. That's one thing that Sony absolutely murders Nintendo.

My point was that we see a huge growth in many Sony first party ips partly due to them being heavily bundled, a thing Nintendo has neglected to do since the Wii days.

Was there a Wii U console sold that wasn't bundled with a game? I think maybe the cheaper version of the release consoles didn't? And how about the 3DS? There has been at least a dozen bundles over the years, packing in everything from Mario Kart to Zelda. Even the Switch has had bundled games. In fact, I personally got a Splatoon 2 bundle, with green and pink Joycons. There has also been a Mario Odyssey bundle.

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

That is corrent, Wii U and 3DS have had a whole bunch of bundles. Most of Wii U life was $299 with 2 games and 2DS is $79 with a game.

Switch has had a couple but none with real great value yet, basically you're paying the same price of the system and game seperately. They should really get some $299 bundles out for the holidays.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
potato_hamster said:

Was there a Wii U console sold that wasn't bundled with a game? I think maybe the cheaper version of the release consoles didn't? And how about the 3DS? There has been at least a dozen bundles over the years, packing in everything from Mario Kart to Zelda. Even the Switch has had bundled games. In fact, I personally got a Splatoon 2 bundle, with green and pink Joycons. There has also been a Mario Odyssey bundle.

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

That is corrent, Wii U and 3DS have had a whole bunch of bundles. Most of Wii U life was $299 with 2 games and 2DS is $79 with a game.

Switch has had a couple but none with real great value yet, basically you're paying the same price of the system and game seperately. They should really get some $299 bundles out for the holidays.

For sure. If Nintendo wants Switch it keep its momentum, a Mario Odyssey/Mario Kart combo Bundle for $299 would sell like gangbusters

potato_hamster said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Well that contingent would be full of bullshit then, wouldn't they?

Why would they? It's a fact. Pokemon games DO sell higher because they release two versions of the game and there are a number of fans that buy both copies. That's undeniable. How much higher? I personally don't have any way of knowing, but it is noteworthy when factoring in Pokemon to any sales discussion.

I'm sure some people buy both versions but I can't see it being a large amount. I know a large amount of Pokemon fans varying from casual to more hardcore and i don't know a single person that buys both versions. I know some that skip the initial release and wait for the third version.

Personally for me Sony games are much above Nintendo in quality and presentation. Sales and Meta doesn't really make my experience better.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

pikashoe said:
potato_hamster said:

Why would they? It's a fact. Pokemon games DO sell higher because they release two versions of the game and there are a number of fans that buy both copies. That's undeniable. How much higher? I personally don't have any way of knowing, but it is noteworthy when factoring in Pokemon to any sales discussion.

I'm sure some people buy both versions but I can't see it being a large amount. I know a large amount of Pokemon fans varying from casual to more hardcore and i don't know a single person that buys both versions. I know some that skip the initial release and wait for the third version.

Havent the double packs sold like ~200k in Japan? Worldwide that should easily be over 500k and then add in people who buy both but seperately.

It might add 1-2 million to the total but for a game that sells 16-17 million per entry thats not a huge amount.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Personally for me Sony games are much above Nintendo in quality and presentation. Sales and Meta doesn't really make my experience better.

Well this is a sales thread on a sales site, personal preferences really dont matter.

potato_hamster said:
zorg1000 said:

For sure. If Nintendo wants Switch it keep its momentum, a Mario Odyssey/Mario Kart combo Bundle for $299 would sell like gangbusters

I can't see them bundling both of them together. I could see one of them along with 1 2 Switch or something along those lines.

A little while ago Best Buy had a deal, buy Switch and get MK8, Odyssey, BotW or Splatoon for 50% off. I could see them doing that again this holiday nationwide and getting the game for free instead. Gamecube had something like that back in the day too.

zorg1000 said:
potato_hamster said:

I can't see them bundling both of them together. I could see one of them along with 1 2 Switch or something along those lines.

A little while ago Best Buy had a deal, buy Switch and get MK8, Odyssey, BotW or Splatoon for 50% off. I could see them doing that again this holiday nationwide and getting the game for free instead. Gamecube had something like that back in the day too.

Yeah, that's not a bad idea. I wonder how longer before they come out with joycons with graphics on them. I want me some Super Famicom joycons.

zorg1000 said:
pikashoe said:

Havent the double packs sold like ~200k in Japan? Worldwide that should easily be over 500k and then add in people who buy both but seperately.

It might add 1-2 million to the total but for a game that sells 16-17 million per entry thats not a huge amount.

But are all of those double packs bought for one person. Some could be families buying a version for each kid, or friends saving a little cash by getting a double pack. Most average people arent going to drop €100 to buy to near identical versions of the same game. Collectors make up a very tiny number of people.

zorg1000 said:
pikashoe said:

There were dual packs in America as well.
https://www.nintendo.com/en_CA/games/detail/pokemon-sun-and-pokemon-moon-dual-pack-3ds

Who wants to bet Nintendo counts that as two sales? I have no idea what the numbers are. I wouldn't be surprised it if was 10-15% though.  I swear I must know the like 6 most hardcore Nintendo fans on the planet and it's skewing my perspective on hardcore Nintendo fans. I literally know four people that automatically buy both Pokemon games the day they come out, on release every single time. They also own 3-4 DSs and 3DS each. One of them even imported the PAL SNES edition 3DS.

Last edited by potato_hamster - on 15 August 2018