By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony first Party games sales, A huge leap from PS3 era. ( Entered Ninty Level ) Update: GOW at 10m & Uncharted 4 16M

I really don't get why people still deny this....Mario 3D games in home consoles have always been around 10m sold, Odyssey probably will end around 15m. Pokemon games in last 3DS and DS consoles sold around 15-20m. Breath of the Wild is the first Zelda to surpass 10m. Smash Bros usually sells 10-15m too. And Splatoon, maybe one day will be a 10m seller too, but right now, more than a year after, is still around 6m sold. Mario Kart is the best selling game in Nintendo home consoles by far (20m+ easilly). So if I count right, that's 5 Nintendo franchises that sell 10m or more in Nintendo home consoles. Now, comparing to Sony, if we have TLOU at 17m(doesn't matter at all the game launched in 2 consoles, like it doesn't matter with mario kart 8), Uncharted 4 around 10-12, Horizon zero dawn around 8-9m, and God of War on pace to reach 10m before the year ends. That's already 4 Sony franchises. Spiderman is a Sony-Marvel property so is an exclusivity to Sony too, and everybody expects to be as succesful as god of war. Then we have Gran Turismo Sport that will end 2018 around 6-7m and still selling in years to come like previous GT games did before, beause all GT games had a lot of legs except GT6 (and we know the reason why....). I count already 6 different Sony franchises that are close or will surpass 10m sales, maybe even 15m sales. So, I still need to understand why Sony games can't be considered as succesful as Nintendo games saleswise....I haven't yet read a good reason.

Around the Network
colafitte said:

I really don't get why people still deny this....Mario 3D games in home consoles have always been around 10m sold, Odyssey probably will end around 15m. Pokemon games in last 3DS and DS consoles sold around 15-20m. Breath of the Wild is the first Zelda to surpass 10m. Smash Bros usually sells 10-15m too. And Splatoon, maybe one day will be a 10m seller too, but right now, more than a year after, is still around 6m sold. Mario Kart is the best selling game in Nintendo home consoles by far (20m+ easilly). So if I count right, that's 5 Nintendo franchises that sell 10m or more in Nintendo home consoles. Now, comparing to Sony, if we have TLOU at 17m(doesn't matter at all the game launched in 2 consoles, like it doesn't matter with mario kart 8), Uncharted 4 around 10-12, Horizon zero dawn around 8-9m, and God of War on pace to reach 10m before the year ends. That's already 4 Sony franchises. Spiderman is a Sony-Marvel property so is an exclusivity to Sony too, and everybody expects to be as succesful as god of war. Then we have Gran Turismo Sport that will end 2018 around 6-7m and still selling in years to come like previous GT games did before, beause all GT games had a lot of legs except GT6 (and we know the reason why....). I count already 6 different Sony franchises that are close or will surpass 10m sales, maybe even 15m sales. So, I still need to understand why Sony games can't be considered as succesful as Nintendo games saleswise....I haven't yet read a good reason.

Well you excluded some Nintendo games like Animal Crossing & 2D Mario, that brings it to 8 franchises that can/will do over 10 million, many of which will likely go over 15 million, maybe some over 20m.

Adding games that games that will come close doesnt really make much sense to me.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

routsounmanman said:
A huge point that many fail to acknowledge is that Sony HEAVILY bundles both their established and new IPs, to the point that it's rare to see a PS4 without a pack-in game.

In US they usually do not for their exclusive games. They only did it this gen for UC4. It's currently rare in US to see a PS4 bundled with a game. Even in Europe the majority of sold consoles are standalone cause the bundled consoles are actually expensive and not worth it. in France currently on gamestop:

- Pro Spiderman LE is at €489 (in US it's $399, it's a real hoax)

- Pro Destiny 2 is at €459

- Pro Tekken 7 is at €439

- Slim fifa at €349

- Slim spiderman at €349

- Slim GTS at €349

- Fat Metal gear solid 5 still at €340

You get the point ? In US Sony doesn't bundle anymore since UC4 its exclusives and in Europe the price of their bundles is ridiculous, usually it's cheaper to buy both stuff separately. 

Last edited by globalisateur - on 14 August 2018

zorg1000 said:
colafitte said:

Well you excluded some Nintendo games like Animal Crossing & 2D Mario, that brings it to 8 franchises that can/will do over 10 million, many of which will likely go over 15 million, maybe some over 20m.

Adding games that games that will come close doesnt really make much sense to me.

Animal Crossing and 2D Mario are big Nintendo franchises too, sorry to forgot. I wasn't trying to measure success only by the number of a random rule that i invented, but it was the best way to compare or to explain why one company is becoming closer to another. What I was trying to say is the fact that Sony games have experimented an unprecedented success in sales recently. Another fact is that more than 5 Sony games have experimented that success, so is becoming a trend, with more new ones probably following the same pattern (Spiderman, Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone, ....). 10 years ago was impossible to compare Nintendo and Sony in terms of 1st party sales. Now is actually possible, that's why Sony is now, at least, "entering Nintendo level". In a year from now, when we have updated numbers from games like God of War, Horizon, Spiderman and probably (I wish at least) TLOU II, Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima all of this that I'm trying to explian will become more clear.

And i'm putting games that will come close because the 10m is an arbitrary number, like any other. Breath of the Wild have more in common with games like Horizon (in sales terms) than games like GTA, COD or Fortnite, so if the difference is 10m to 8m, or 13m to 11m to me they are still very comparable, more than Uncharted 4 against Splatoon 2 to put an example.

globalisateur said:
MasonADC said:

So they aren't actually outdoing them, you just think Sony is more impressive. 

No. Back then Mario 3, Super Mario Kart, Zelda ALTTP, Mario 64 and Zelda 64 were both the most impressive games and the best available games. Now the most impressive games, while being the best games out there, are often only available on PS3/PS4 with TLOU, Bloodborne or God of War.

In that sense Sony is the new Nintendo. Nintendo don't do ambitious and impressive games nowadays, mostly re-imagined (or not) highly polished and improved remakes (Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Smash, Pokemon). Splatoon is really a new Nintendo franchise, but it's not an impressive game.

This thread was about sell numbers though, not which titles you think are more impressive. Someone can argue against what is the most impressive games, but not what first party games sell the best. Also, how is Mario kart 8, Super Mario Odyssey, Pokemon sun and moon, or Breath of the wild remakes or re imaging? I could maybe see someone make the case for botw, but nothing else.  Lastly, IMO, Smash Ultimate is the most ambitious game to release in the the last decade, and it certainly is not  easy to polish something like that

Around the Network
colafitte said:

The thing is, the switch seems to be a whole new life from Nintendo's past systems when considering first party sells. Mario Odyssey sold 11 million units in around 8 months, to say that it will only reach 15 million lifetime would be a disappointment. Mario Kart has a good shot at pasting 20 million, Zelda 15 million, and Splatoon 10 million. Let's just assume that the other big titles follow the same pattern, then we can see smash at 20 million, and Animal crossing at 15 million. I can't predict 2d Mario or Pokemon, but they could be just as big or bigger than before. I just don't consider the PS4 titles on this level.

zorg1000 said:
taus90 said:

Well we have to agree to disagree on the 1st point, My point of reference was that when mario was released on arcade it didn't set world on fire, like they are doing it right now.

Also Regarding Arms and 1 2 switch I knew about them but i didnt include as I consider them to be byproduct hit for a successful console launch and Metacritics. But if u still wanna do that then Lets include Resogun, Order 1886, Knack, Until dawn and Driveclub all are 2 million sellers. 

And how its relevant you ask... Well in short sony develops and sells more copies than a new nintendo IP, So technically Sony is better when it comes to new ip and Nintendo is better at developing their older Ip's..

Well i was under the impression we were talking about consoles, not arcades. The first Super Mario game did 40 million, the first Zelda did 6.5 million, the first Kirby did over 5 million, the first Metroid did over 2.5 million, etc.

Add whatever games you want, you said Splatoon was the only successful new IP and told me to correct you if you're wrong, you were wrong so i corrected you. 

Thats called cherry picking. New IP, old IP, M-rated, child friendly, cinematic, single player, multiplayer, casual, etc doesnt matter. Nintendo's top sellers sell more than Sony's, Nintendo has more big sellers than Sony, Nintendo overall sells more 1st party games than Sony.

All those games that you listed had no competition on release.

MasonADC said:
colafitte said:

The thing is, the switch seems to be a whole new life from Nintendo's past systems when considering first party sells. Mario Odyssey sold 11 million units in around 8 months, to say that it will only reach 15 million lifetime would be a disappointment. Mario Kart has a good shot at pasting 20 million, Zelda 15 million, and Splatoon 10 million. Let's just assume that the other big titles follow the same pattern, then we can see smash at 20 million, and Animal crossing at 15 million. I can't predict 2d Mario or Pokemon, but they could be just as big or bigger than before. I just don't consider the PS4 titles on this level.

To me, this sounds like wishful thinking. You add 4-5m more to games that launched in 2017 like if it was easy to do. This notion that all Nintendo games have infinite legs is a lie. 2D Mario and Mario Kart have those legs, but Pokemon, Zelda, Splatoon, not as much (i'm not saying they don't have, I'm saying not at the same level). Mario odyssey will sell 1m a year for the next years as much, and Zelda will start drop in sales inevitably. Splatoon 2 is around 6'5m...., no way will reach 10m in a year or two. And why Animal Crossing will suddenly sell more than 15m??? This notion that Switch is some kind of magic box that makes everything amazing is wrong. Odyssey and BOTW sold a lot because they were historically good games that had amazing marketing campaigns behind them. The same with Smash at 20m.... why???, the Wii one sold around 13m and was hyped as hell then too, so why a game in a console that sold less hardware and softare in the same time period will suddenly sell a 50% more??? that's too much. 

And I'm still waiting for a better answer for what i said about sony games than "I just don't consider the PS4 titles on this level". So, when in a year, we start seeing updated numbers and we have Uncharted 4 10-15m, Horizon surpassing 10m, God of War reaching 10m before 2019, Gran Turismo Sport saying that there are 7-8m players (i remember the days in this site when GT5 launched and for years people said that the sales were disappointing, but GT5 kept selling and selling), Spiderman becoming the most succesful Marvel licensed game, TLOU II launching and becoming the fastest Sony game ever, then what? If by the end of this year TLOU, U4, Horizon, GOW and Spiderman are all 10+m sellers, what people will say then?

They are having a lot of sales success for sure. But I don't think they are similar to Nintendo on that. Totally different environment.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Lawlight said:

zorg1000 said:

Well i was under the impression we were talking about consoles, not arcades. The first Super Mario game did 40 million, the first Zelda did 6.5 million, the first Kirby did over 5 million, the first Metroid did over 2.5 million, etc.

Add whatever games you want, you said Splatoon was the only successful new IP and told me to correct you if you're wrong, you were wrong so i corrected you. 

Thats called cherry picking. New IP, old IP, M-rated, child friendly, cinematic, single player, multiplayer, casual, etc doesnt matter. Nintendo's top sellers sell more than Sony's, Nintendo has more big sellers than Sony, Nintendo overall sells more 1st party games than Sony.

All those games that you listed had no competition on release.

Well thats not true in the slightest, NES and Gameboy had tons of 3rd party games.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.