By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - NYT defends their new editor accused of racism - "an important voice"

Usually when there's 'racism against white people', it's strongly exaggerated. But this woman is tweeting things that even some of the most extreme Republicans wouldn't dare to say about other races.

Around the Network

BBC waffles

jason1637 said:
pokoko said:

Who gives an actual damn about the semantics?  Usually when people bring up the "but it's not racism" objection, it's an attempt to downplay or marginalize something nasty.  You don't like "racism" in this situation?  Okay.  Then let's go with "prejudiced, biased, venomous bigotry intended to hurt, belittle, and damage people of a different ethnic background."  Does that make it prettier?  Does that make it dismissable?  

I mean, seriously, the things she said and the first inclination some people have is to argue about semantics?

The OP isn't presenting the full picture. She was harassed for years om twitter and people were being racist towards her so she was trolling them by making those jokes. It's just humor and it's in bad taste but it's not racist. Anyway I don't believe that someone should be fired based om something they said years ago.

Awwww. How terrible for her. I was stabbed in the back with a screwdriver by a guy yelling "honkey!" at me while he jammed metal into my vital organs. This was a few hours after he tried to rob me and I pieced his ass up outside a liquor store. There were serious race tensions in the neighborhood I lived in from 18-26. I was blasted with an elbow and kick-fucked by two dudes while waiting for a cab too. Robbed at knifepoint on another occasion. Somehow, I still hold it together though. Even in the face of online douchbaggery. There's a gross history in Canada with ethnic Euros and the Indigenous population. And as a result, there is some overt racism from their side, as well as, of course, from the whites. Nothing good comes from crap like what this dumb-dumb posts online. It just propagates the worst elements of society, and she should be held accountable for having such a big, fat mouth. Her body of work is substantial, and not subject to misinterpretation. I seriously hope you're trolling. Especially your initial comment.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 03 August 2018

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

I like how she made fun of NYT as well hahaha

The NY Times is both racist and supports terrorism.

They also recently posted an article about New Hampshire being "too white", and wondering what can be done about that.  Imagine the shitstorm if they said an area was "too black", and something needed to be done about that.

Currently Replaying: Baten Kaitos

Around the Network

Now imagine the outrage on reversed position.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

But personally the only problem I see on the tweet is not being funny or even trying. The doublestandard is already expected.

It is not racism if against people in power (meaning white and or men). It is one of those "good hate" and "too much love makes one need to killing white man", etc excuses.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

numberwang said:

BBC waffles

Seems like someone forgot to edit all the content.

This situation isn't really comparable to Roseanne. Roseanne said some shit about a political aide that could easily be interpreted as racism. ABC fired her to save face and she apologized. Not even a day passes until she takes back her apology and begins ridiculing and mocking this person again because they're associated with a political figure she doesn't like. She then goes on Twitter rants and a FOX News interview in order to gain sympathy points for making some fucked up comments. She didn't learn anything and is engaging in the typical "leftists are evil and inhumane" conversation that proves she hasn't learned her lesson. ABC was completely justified in firing her. Sarah Jeong made reprehensible comments about an entire gender and race in 2014 in order to be a provocateur and got called out on her racist and sexist statements. She has since apologized for these statements and admits that they were a bad attempt to replicate the language of individuals that targeted her for her gender and ethnicity. Its been 4 years and she has presumably grown up and changed as a person since than. This attempt to mark her as Satan is similar to the attempts to make statements said by James Gunn and Donald Trump several years ago a political tool to completely dismiss them. Everyone says regrettable shit and everyone has to learn to grow from the mistakes they make. Jeong, Gunn, and Trump have apologized extensively for the comments they have made and are on the process of trying to better themselves. I'm not saying that her statements were acceptable and action needs to be taken if she says shit like that again, but I feel that this movement to demonize her is just another chapter added to the outrage culture that's perpetuated by both the left and the right.

jason1637 said:
Aura7541 said:

Overgeneralizing people of a certain race is racist.

No it's not.

Well, this is an interesting development... The mental gymnastics that you had to perform to conclude that overgeneralization of people of a certain race is not racism must be quite something. But hey, I guess overgeneralization is not a form of prejudice or discrimination.