By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best Modern Beat 'Em Ups?

Dragon's Crown, Odin Sphere, and Muramasa Rebirth come to mind!

Around the Network

Scott Pilgrim v. The World
Guacameele
Dead Rising
God of War 3
Madworld

CaptainExplosion said:
Smartie900 said:
Scott Pilgrim v. The World
Guacameele
Dead Rising
God of War 3
Madworld

Good choices, but again, mostly ones that blend beat 'em up with other genres. Is that the only way beat 'em ups work now?

I don't think developers know how to make a pure beat 'em up game anymore. It's incredibly hard to make a long game with gameplay elements that get repetitive quickly. If they don't blend RPG, puzzle, or other genre elements, the game starts to get really tiring. Consumers were a lot more accepting of games like Streets of Rage back in the 1990's because games weren't particularly long. Games have evolved and I don't think players would be accepting of such simplistic games anymore unless it's something constantly fun like Mario. I think a good example of this is the Golden Axe game that was made fore the 360 a couple years back which was hated by everyone.

Code Princess EX is coming to Switch soon, I'd highly recommend it based off playing the 3DS version. It's kinda like Guardian Heroes.

CaptainExplosion said:
Smartie900 said:

I don't think developers know how to make a pure beat 'em up game anymore. It's incredibly hard to make a long game with gameplay elements that get repetitive quickly. If they don't blend RPG, puzzle, or other genre elements, the game starts to get really tiring. Consumers were a lot more accepting of games like Streets of Rage back in the 1990's because games weren't particularly long. Games have evolved and I don't think players would be accepting of such simplistic games anymore unless it's something constantly fun like Mario. I think a good example of this is the Golden Axe game that was made fore the 360 a couple years back which was hated by everyone.

Yes, but Golden Axe: Beast Rider did EVERYTHING wrong.

Maybe more beat 'em ups should be like River City Ransom, which blended beat 'em up combat with an open world environment. It was almost like a prototype of Grand Theft Auto or Yakuza. And maybe add some other elements, like give playable characters the option to equip weapons or carry healing objects. It could work for franchises like Final Fight or Streets of Rage, right? :)

Yakuza is actually a really good example I didn't think of until you said it. If developers were to make a beat 'em up, it would have to be closer to the styles of 16 bit games. I think adding an open world isn't going to do much for the game and will slow down the overall game like it did for MGS 5. This genre works most efficiently in a linear and straightforward manner. I heard that there was a Double Dragon game that was pretty good made a couple years back. River City Ransom was a really good game, but I'm not sure how some of its elements like open world would translate to other games.

Around the Network

Abobo’s Big Adventure

Smartie900 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Good choices, but again, mostly ones that blend beat 'em up with other genres. Is that the only way beat 'em ups work now?

This is probably quite true. In Street Fighter II, hitting a car was considered novel.

I really can't even remember beat em ups even existing in the 64/PS1 generation. It died with 3D.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

I'd consider Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Devil May Cry 3, Kingdom Hearts, and the Warriors series to be beat em ups. And good ones.

Mar1217 said:
JWeinCom said:
I'd consider Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Devil May Cry 3, Kingdom Hearts, and the Warriors series to be beat em ups. And good ones.

Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't consider Hack 'n Slash/Beat 'em Up genre to be the same sub-category in the fighting game genre ...

No, Hack ’n Slash is not the same as a Beat ’em Up, they play and feel completley differently.

CaptainExplosion said:
RJTM1991 said:
Dragon's Crown, Odin Sphere, and Muramasa Rebirth come to mind!

Aren't those more action RPGs?

Action RPGs meshed with the old side-scrolling beat 'em up style!