By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why does GT not get any acclaim in mainstream media?

flashfire926 said:
DonFerrari said:

So you think 10 points difference on the frivolous parts when the core is worse is justifiable?

Just reread all his passive aggressive comments, I'm sure you'll find.

If you think the core is the only thing that matters, and everything else is frivilous, you should be playing RFactor, IRacing Assetto Corsa, or even Project Cars instead of GT. All have more realistic physics.

According to your logic Project Cars is undeniably better than GT.....so then why don't you defend that instead?

I don't game on PC so RFactor and iRacing would be a no go. AC I'm still to try, not always my wife allows me to put the wheel on the room. Project Cars I have almost platined and hated it, control seemed quite bad easy and arcadey for my taste, now people say PC2 is much better, but I didn't want to waste the time or money on it to discover.

If/when I test PC2 and like it, sure I may defend it, so far my experience was very bad for the 300h I played.

But I see that you have agreed that they analysed the game on the wrong premise so I'm happy with it (they could even have hated the online and think it was bad, we know that comparing to other console racers it isn't, but at least they would have judged by what the game is instead of isn't).

Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

Let's be pretty clear to help you out. If you are chasing a simulation focus, the quality of the physics is analyzed on the simulation not "the different focus on simulation". So anyone saying Forza is a better race is ok to have their opinion, but if the person recognizes GT have better simulation but say FM is a better simulator is crazy.

Sorry Azz already told you, majority having an opinion doesn't make it right or valid, it isn't a dictatorship of the majority. Most of the planet would think Einstein was crazy and wrong, basically only himself knew he was right, so the majority being against made they right?

Yes if you want a more simulator focus car racer than GT leans towards that way, if you want a more Simcade experience than FM leans that way. Neither way is better. GT6 scored a 81 on Meta higher than FM5 which scored a 79 due to its lack of content. Now do you see why GTS sits lower than its competition and why its justified. The no campaign didnt help either, a first in both big series.

FM4 outscored GT5 because it also had a good roster of cars, the visusls looked better, the sound was better, the crash physics are better, GT5 had nothing over FM4 except its direction with sim physics.

Also like others mentioned in this thread, if you are aiming just for a Sim experience than both GT and FM are underpar compared to PC, AC and iRacing etc. There the games you should be playing.

Why does FM get high reviews this gen is due to its total package and quality, its the best in its genre for content and features and its polish is up there with the best in the buisness not just in the racing genre.

I agree neither is better it is all about taste. But if someone ask which is the best simulator you can't say FM instead of GT (sure you may say iRacing or whatever though) and that was the fault of several reviewers..

Visuals looked better than the standard cars you mean right? Because the premium was way ahead. Sound yes we have a consensus that GT had a worse sound even if FM isn't really real as well. Crash physics is both ridiculous, just because cars get bumps on it doesn't mean any crash physic was there. You see the cars there still being drived after bad collisions that alone discredit any crash physics (and also on professional races people won't be crashing and running).

I don't play on PC so I wouldn't be playing the other games you mentioned.

Not only this gen I'm pointing to last gen as well.

Errorist76 said:
flashfire926 said:

But 99% of time it is true. Unless it's some Einstein situation. In this case though, the majority is right on the money.

And that second part: maybe apart from from one or two bad apples, no want GT to be an arcade racer. 99% of reviewers fully understand that GT is going for simulation. These reviewers know what GT is.

What the game is? It's a Gran Turismo that strips out many features of past games, and was launched all bare bones and deprived of content, effectively making it the worse GT than past titles. The reviewers hit the nail on the head with this one.

I'm sorry but I disagree heavily.

It's a much more realistic and fun to play game than past GTs. It was always advertised as an online focused, new direction for the franchise. Many reviewers respected that but a lot of reviewers didn't and judged it in comparison to what they wrongly expected and to the scope of older games, instead of rating it as its own game series.
It strips out some features of older games but it adds some brand new ones instead. I agree with Don Ferrari that the game was harshly and unfairly reviewed by many, sadly, even though it was a little barebones at launch, which long has been corrected since then.

Nate4Drake said: 
If GT Sport had been released with current contents, it would have received all the praises of this World. I don't think the same game can be reviewed twice though; why Media is not talking about this ? Maybe racing games don't get all the attention that other genre are getting.

This is sadly true. 

And this is the whole motto of my discussion, reviewers weren't helpful in evaluating this game on what it's so they don't give a fair score for someone wanting to play it.

They sure could put a 42 Arial disclaimer that the game isn't the same as the numbered, that the SP is lacking, less cars, no adjusments, etc... but then do the review of what matters on that game.

Funny a lot of people talking about the cuts justifying the score, GT5 Prologue had a meta of 80, and way less content.

Let's not talk about racers like NFS or even Mario kart that have only about a dozen cars and circuits.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

How many times can you release the same game? I feel like I've been playing GT since GT1 and 2.  Don't get me started as GT is so life like.  You can bump off AI cars all day long in the game.  Maybe they finally made it realistic?  Nah I'll save real life driving to that.  Guess what?  Most people suck at driving even when they think they are good.

⚠️ WARNED: Trolling ~ CGI

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 10 August 2018

sethnintendo said:

How many times can you release the same game? I feel like I've been playing GT since GT1 and 2.  Don't get me started as GT is so life like.  You can bump off AI cars all day long in the game.  Maybe they finally made it realistic?  Nah I'll save real life driving to that.  Guess what?  Most people suck at driving even when they think they are good.

⚠️ WARNED: Trolling ~ CGI

Maybe if you aren't interested in these types of games maybe you could just ignore this thread.

But instead you leave a classic shitpost. Fucking tasteless.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

DonFerrari said: 
Azzanation said:

Yes if you want a more simulator focus car racer than GT leans towards that way, if you want a more Simcade experience than FM leans that way. Neither way is better. GT6 scored a 81 on Meta higher than FM5 which scored a 79 due to its lack of content. Now do you see why GTS sits lower than its competition and why its justified. The no campaign didnt help either, a first in both big series.

FM4 outscored GT5 because it also had a good roster of cars, the visusls looked better, the sound was better, the crash physics are better, GT5 had nothing over FM4 except its direction with sim physics.

Also like others mentioned in this thread, if you are aiming just for a Sim experience than both GT and FM are underpar compared to PC, AC and iRacing etc. There the games you should be playing.

Why does FM get high reviews this gen is due to its total package and quality, its the best in its genre for content and features and its polish is up there with the best in the buisness not just in the racing genre.

I agree neither is better it is all about taste. But if someone ask which is the best simulator you can't say FM instead of GT (sure you may say iRacing or whatever though) and that was the fault of several reviewers..

Visuals looked better than the standard cars you mean right? Because the premium was way ahead. Sound yes we have a consensus that GT had a worse sound even if FM isn't really real as well. Crash physics is both ridiculous, just because cars get bumps on it doesn't mean any crash physic was there. You see the cars there still being drived after bad collisions that alone discredit any crash physics (and also on professional races people won't be crashing and running).

I don't play on PC so I wouldn't be playing the other games you mentioned.

Not only this gen I'm pointing to last gen as well.

Well at least we both can agree with something, its the taste of the individual. Yes GT focuses more on Simulation while Forza focuses more on Simcade/Simulator. And neither do it wrong. Its all the dev's choice that suits there games. However we cannot judge a game for being better because its more simulator, its like saying Ace Combat shouldn't get better reviews than Flight Simulator because FS offers realistic Simulator physics in comparison.

If we look back at last gen, Forza games were top of its class in the sound department and so was the crash damages. GT sounds were a major criticism back in there days, many reviewers referred to them as vacuum sounds while also not offering or barely offered any crash damage on there car models while Forza games did and they did them well, weather its simulated or not, seeing a car hit the wall and watching the cars gain dents and scratches over the time of the races was a major bonus to the genre. Crash damage has become a standard with car racers today. (Just remember one important part to my post, I am referring to at the time not comparing to today.)

Turn 10 has always been amazing when it comes to offering a great package for racing fans, that's why they tend to favour the reviewers. Sure hardcores might go elsewhere but that doesn't take away from what Forza does right.

Does GTS deserved to be reviewed again? I would say no it doesn't and that's due to the industry has a stance with that, plus personally FM5 copped similar criticism and that game never got another go at the review boards. There are some exceptions like SFV and maybe some outlets might give it another go, but lets be honest here. If GTS got reviewed again, does it really matter? You seem to enjoy the game, if Sony re-releases GTS again its going to cost them more money on marketing, packaging and all the bells and whistles on a game that's already out just to try to get better reviews.

And as this thread has been modded, I wouldn't want to keep adding fuel to the fire.

I don't know about you guys but I think GT5 is still the best racing simulator on consoles all things considered to date. GT6, GTS and all the Forza's and PCs to release since then didn't make the cut for me. GTS shouldn't be reviewed again too. Polyphony need to make a proper GT5 successor. The next proper GT will still sell over 10m I believe, and if Sony pull another GTS, then it's bye bye to GT games that sell over 10M.

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

Around the Network

Gran Turismo was THE racing game, back in the PS1&PS2 days. They seem to have somehow ruined it over the years, and people stopped caring about it as much as other racing games.

trixiemafia86 said:
I don't know about you guys but I think GT5 is still the best racing simulator on consoles all things considered to date. GT6, GTS and all the Forza's and PCs to release since then didn't make the cut for me. GTS shouldn't be reviewed again too. Polyphony need to make a proper GT5 successor. The next proper GT will still sell over 10m I believe, and if Sony pull another GTS, then it's bye bye to GT games that sell over 10M.

GT6 was the game GT5 was meant to be and worlds better in terms of physics, so I respectfully disagree. 

Sixteenvolt420 said:
Gran Turismo was THE racing game, back in the PS1&PS2 days. They seem to have somehow ruined it over the years, and people stopped caring about it as much as other racing games.

It’s still the best selling simulation game by far, so I don’t know how you come to that conclusion.

Errorist76 said:
trixiemafia86 said:

GT6 was the game GT5 was meant to be and worlds better in terms of physics, so I respectfully disagree. 

That's fine if you disagree but the sales of GT5 compared to GT6 speaks volumes. There was no need to release GT6 on PS3 and if they had to, it should have been at least cross gen. GT6 appeal just didn't cut it for over 50% of the people that purchased GT5 to care. It's that simple. The market to sell over 10m copies of GT is still there. It's up to Polyphony to step up. A new GT game with positive reviews and word-of-mouth will sell over 10M.

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

trixiemafia86 said:
Errorist76 said:

That's fine if you disagree but the sales of GT5 compared to GT6 speaks volumes. There was no need to release GT6 on PS3 and if they had to, it should have been at least cross gen. GT6 appeal just didn't cut it for over 50% of the people that purchased GT5 to care. It's that simple. The market to sell over 10m copies of GT is still there. It's up to Polyphony to step up. A new GT game with positive reviews and word-of-mouth will sell over 10M.

The sales don't say anything, except for the fact many people sadly passed on the game because it was released very late in the PS3 cycle when PS4 was already a thing. Did you even play it? Many people didn't and just decided it was too similar to GT5. I agree they should've made it cross-gen though.