By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Disney fires 'Guardians of the Galaxy' director James Gunn over 'indefensible' old tweets

irstupid said:
Cobretti2 said:
Makes no sense considering he deleted apologised so not like Disney didn't know

He was hired in a different time.

But I don't find his humor innocent.

1. They weren't funny.
2. The sheer amount of them
3. I keep hearing decade ago, when I see some tweets were only 5 years ago
4. His age. I hear people say, do you want to be held accountable for something you posted 10 years ago when you were say 10 or 17 or something young. Gunn is like 53 years old. That means his most recent tweet was when he was 47 years old. Not a teenager, but freaking 47 years old.
5. He is a Hollywood director. If any Hollywood director is found to be a pedophile or something, I would NEVER be shocked. It's amazing how horrible some of them are. Hell, Hollywood still celebrates convicted pedophiles and let them still work.

To me his posts scream a super homophobic guy who we later find out is gay. The fascination he had with child rape jokes, really makes you think he either has done that/does it, or has a secret desire to do so.

Look at the post above you. I googled the guys name and rick and morty and there was only ONE article about it. That was from Breitbart. Where is the rest of the press? Hell even this James Gunn story got like relatively low media coverage, and nearly half of it in defense of him. The holllywood/media always seems to shelter or look the other way when it's related to pedophilia. I feel it's like the whole Winestein situation. Where "everyone" knew. I found that funny when it came out. I had no idea on who he was, but was not surprised in one bit hearing all I heard. Felt like that was what we all knew was going on in Hollywood. Yet who is all surprised and outraged? The media and Hollywood actors, the very people that you know damn well knew of it first hand.

I'm not saying what he did wasn't wrong, however Disney knew who they hired at the time. If they found it acceptable that should be the end of it.

Firing someone because times have changed and the wind direction is blowing elsewhere is not a good reason to fire someone.

What if what he said in 5 years time becomes a norm? Will Disney then hire him back cause they know he is the best man for the job that will earn them the 1.5bn on the movie?

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
irstupid said:

1. They weren't funny.
4. His age. I hear people say, do you want to be held accountable for something you posted 10 years ago when you were say 10 or 17 or something young. Gunn is like 53 years old. That means his most recent tweet was when he was 47 years old. Not a teenager, but freaking 47 years old.
5. He is a Hollywood director. If any Hollywood director is found to be a pedophile or something, I would NEVER be shocked. It's amazing how horrible some of them are. Hell, Hollywood still celebrates convicted pedophiles and let them still work.

To me his posts scream a super homophobic guy who we later find out is gay. The fascination he had with child rape jokes, really makes you think he either has done that/does it, or has a secret desire to do so.

Look at the post above you. I googled the guys name and rick and morty and there was only ONE article about it. That was from Breitbart. Where is the rest of the press? Hell even this James Gunn story got like relatively low media coverage, and nearly half of it in defense of him. The holllywood/media always seems to shelter or look the other way when it's related to pedophilia. I feel it's like the whole Winestein situation. Where "everyone" knew. I found that funny when it came out. I had no idea on who he was, but was not surprised in one bit hearing all I heard. Felt like that was what we all knew was going on in Hollywood. Yet who is all surprised and outraged? The media and Hollywood actors, the very people that you know damn well knew of it first hand.

I'm not saying what he did wasn't wrong, however Disney knew who they hired at the time. If they found it acceptable that should be the end of it.

Firing someone because times have changed and the wind direction is blowing elsewhere is not a good reason to fire someone.

What if what he said in 5 years time becomes a norm? Will Disney then hire him back cause they know he is the best man for the job that will earn them the 1.5bn on the movie?

I might agree with you if we were talking about something like using the word retard, gay or something like that where it was a common term at one point and now it is not.

But this is about making jokes about raping little boys, getting off on videos of little kids, making fun/light of rape victims, ect. Go read his stuff. Do you really think what he said was ever acceptable or will be acceptable?

That is not something that will just go in and out of acceptable. The big difference is that his jokes are about an action, not some word being acceptable or not. They are jokes about a 45 year old man having sex with a  teenage boy, and not even in a consensual way.

irstupid said:
Cobretti2 said:
Makes no sense considering he deleted apologised so not like Disney didn't know

1. They weren't funny.

Making inappropriate jokes is not the same thing as the Harvey Weinstein situation where someone used their position to try to force women to sexually compromise themselves.  People can have a foul mouth and still be a good person and be able to contribute to society.

mZuzek said:
irstupid said:

This is the worst argument I've seen thrown around. The idea that people can only change when they're teenagers, that once they reach adulthood we stay the same forever. Everyone can have dramatic changes in their personality/lifestyle at any point in their life, all it takes is for a few things to happen to someone which can affect them enough to cause this change. Obviously, I can exemplify the GotG characters themselves, who undergo dramatic changes in their 30's or 40's, but if we need to go with real people, I personally know a few people who have done a complete 180 in their career and lifestyle in their 40's. I once read a story about someone who one day decided to become a DJ and began to make a living off it, in her 70's. I mean, there's even a popular term (midlife crisis) for people who undergo tough, life-changing moments when they're older.

If you wanna be so convinced that James Gunn is a pedophile rapist, there's nothing I can do to change your mind. There's no solid evidence either for or against it, but what there is is a whole lot of people close to him (and even himself) talking about his past and the person he was back then. These people might be biased, of course, but to think we know more about Gunn than them is ludicrous - and what has been said is that Gunn, back then, was trying to make a living off of shocking people. He posted fucked up stuff because he saw that as his means of promoting his career (hardly surprising if you've seen his previous films, he had plenty of overly gory moments and stuff like that). I think when you're working in an artistic industry for over 10 years and no one gives a shit about your work, neither does it make enough money, it can have that effect on you, to make you desperate and begin trying to do anything to get attention.

Wanting to be successful is something that can bring out both the best and the worst in people, regardless of whether you're 15 or 45 or anything else. And yes, we all have our worst sides. We've all made that casual homophobic or racist joke without giving it much thought. We've all said insensitive stuff thinking only about ourselves without even realizing other people might be hurt by it. And no, maybe we never did on Twitter hundreds or thousands of times, but that can be because likely neither of us was desperately trying to make a U-turn in a so far failed career at moviemaking. I gotta say, as someone who aspires to make it as a musician one day, if things don't go my way and my music never really gets to people, beyond that being incredibly depressive, it then scares me to think about what I might say or do to turn things around. Instead, knowing myself, I'd probably say or do nothing and just give up on my music career because I lack determination, but is that really better? To give up on what I love doing just because I'm afraid of risking my public image? That might make me look like less of an asshole, but it would make my career a failure and I'd feel like shit for it... and even then, it's not like James Gunn has offended more people than he inspired. Hardly anyone knew about these tweets a week ago, whereas millions of people have seen, and been deeply moved by his movies. I know for one, GotG Vol. 2 had a serious impact on me as a person, for the better, and I'm sure it happened to many other people too. This, to me, is much more valuable than whatever crap James Gunn might have said in a somewhat distant past.

Peace.

Who says he's changed? His apology when he got hired by Disney, and his apology now when the tweets resurfaced and he lost his job or was in danger of losing it?

When he was hired by Disney, they either saw these tweets, some of them or his earlier work and told him he needed to get out in front of it, and ALSO most likely told him to never do that shit again. So he quit tweeting. Him no longer tweeting that stuff doesn't mean he magically was now a perfect human being.  One's public image is often very much a lie.

There was that recent NY attorney general that was heralded as this champion of women and almost celebrity status. Had fake comic book superheroes made in his image and so on. Yet we then find out he was a huge woman abuser, emotionally and physically. Referring to his Sri Lanken girlfriend as brown slave and making her call him master and physically abusing her. Same with other women.

Who knows what James Gunn is like in private.

irstupid said:
mZuzek said:

This is the worst argument I've seen thrown around. The idea that people can only change when they're teenagers, that once they reach adulthood we stay the same forever. Everyone can have dramatic changes in their personality/lifestyle at any point in their life, all it takes is for a few things to happen to someone which can affect them enough to cause this change. Obviously, I can exemplify the GotG characters themselves, who undergo dramatic changes in their 30's or 40's, but if we need to go with real people, I personally know a few people who have done a complete 180 in their career and lifestyle in their 40's. I once read a story about someone who one day decided to become a DJ and began to make a living off it, in her 70's. I mean, there's even a popular term (midlife crisis) for people who undergo tough, life-changing moments when they're older.

If you wanna be so convinced that James Gunn is a pedophile rapist, there's nothing I can do to change your mind. There's no solid evidence either for or against it, but what there is is a whole lot of people close to him (and even himself) talking about his past and the person he was back then. These people might be biased, of course, but to think we know more about Gunn than them is ludicrous - and what has been said is that Gunn, back then, was trying to make a living off of shocking people. He posted fucked up stuff because he saw that as his means of promoting his career (hardly surprising if you've seen his previous films, he had plenty of overly gory moments and stuff like that). I think when you're working in an artistic industry for over 10 years and no one gives a shit about your work, neither does it make enough money, it can have that effect on you, to make you desperate and begin trying to do anything to get attention.

Wanting to be successful is something that can bring out both the best and the worst in people, regardless of whether you're 15 or 45 or anything else. And yes, we all have our worst sides. We've all made that casual homophobic or racist joke without giving it much thought. We've all said insensitive stuff thinking only about ourselves without even realizing other people might be hurt by it. And no, maybe we never did on Twitter hundreds or thousands of times, but that can be because likely neither of us was desperately trying to make a U-turn in a so far failed career at moviemaking. I gotta say, as someone who aspires to make it as a musician one day, if things don't go my way and my music never really gets to people, beyond that being incredibly depressive, it then scares me to think about what I might say or do to turn things around. Instead, knowing myself, I'd probably say or do nothing and just give up on my music career because I lack determination, but is that really better? To give up on what I love doing just because I'm afraid of risking my public image? That might make me look like less of an asshole, but it would make my career a failure and I'd feel like shit for it... and even then, it's not like James Gunn has offended more people than he inspired. Hardly anyone knew about these tweets a week ago, whereas millions of people have seen, and been deeply moved by his movies. I know for one, GotG Vol. 2 had a serious impact on me as a person, for the better, and I'm sure it happened to many other people too. This, to me, is much more valuable than whatever crap James Gunn might have said in a somewhat distant past.

Peace.

Who says he's changed? His apology when he got hired by Disney, and his apology now when the tweets resurfaced and he lost his job or was in danger of losing it?

When he was hired by Disney, they either saw these tweets, some of them or his earlier work and told him he needed to get out in front of it, and ALSO most likely told him to never do that shit again. So he quit tweeting. Him no longer tweeting that stuff doesn't mean he magically was now a perfect human being.  One's public image is often very much a lie.

There was that recent NY attorney general that was heralded as this champion of women and almost celebrity status. Had fake comic book superheroes made in his image and so on. Yet we then find out he was a huge woman abuser, emotionally and physically. Referring to his Sri Lanken girlfriend as brown slave and making her call him master and physically abusing her. Same with other women.

Who knows what James Gunn is like in private.

None of us, including you.  This isn't Minority Report where we respond to incidents before they occur.

Around the Network
mizzou_guy said:
irstupid said:

1. They weren't funny.

Making inappropriate jokes is not the same thing as the Harvey Weinstein situation where someone used their position to try to force women to sexually compromise themselves.  People can have a foul mouth and still be a good person and be able to contribute to society.

My point is, who says all he has a is a dirty mouth?

Look how many people we have found out recently have been sexual predators or pedophiles in places of power or Hollywood. Heck, you still have famous directors who have been accused of it that are still celebrated such as Woody Allen, Roman Polanski and Bryan Singer of the top of my head.

mizzou_guy said:
irstupid said:

1. They weren't funny.

There are rumors/accusations floating about some higher ups in hollywood having pedo parties and using their position to molest child actors. It gets little to no coverage by the media and hardly anyone speaks about it. Gunn could very be one of the people involved. The whamen are getting plenty of attention though.

How repulsive. Good for Disney, we can't let people making pedophilia/rape jokes thrive. DRAIN THE SWAMP!!

Aeolus451 said:
mizzou_guy said:

There are rumors/accusations floating about some higher ups in hollywood having pedo parties and using their position to molest child actors. It gets little to no coverage by the media and hardly anyone speaks about it. Gunn could very be one of the people involved. The whamen are getting plenty of attention though.

Oh, well if there are rumors, then he MUST be one of those men since he made some jokes, right?

mizzou_guy said:
Aeolus451 said:

Oh, well if there are rumors, then he MUST be one of those men since he made some jokes, right?

People have no problem believing the whamen on less.

He didn't make some jokes. He made alot (around 10k) of pedo comments and pedo pseudo-jokes. I'm not saying he's a pedo but his comments are disturbing at the very least.