By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - To those who say Octopath is not worth 60 dollars...

Who say that?

Got the game on release day. Barely scratched the surface yet.

Sure, I’m currently on vacation and I spend a lot of my time out of my home, but still, the game is worth every penny so far. A game can have a retro look and still be considered a big production.

This game proves it, at least.

People judge it for its look, but they don’t seem to understand the work and research that went into making such a
magnificent game.

Around the Network
Landale_Star said:
Maybe because the development budget wasn't very high and so doesn't need a high price tag to recoup costs and profit. People might perceive it as greed on Square Enix's part, since other publishers are willing to sell lower budget games (even very good ones) at lower prices. So Square Enix knows the hype and prices the game higher than they otherwise would have.

Thats my guess, I don't know the dev costs, it's clearly a lot lower than FFXV or Kingdom Hearts though and I could understand people following this line of thought, Square is a business though and its in their interest to make as much money as possible. Personally, number of gameplay hours do not translate into money well spent in my opinion and the reason I won't buy Octopath Traveller at full RRP is because I haven't been convinced yet that I will enjoy the game enough to spend that much on it.

Now you see, THAT is a legitimate reason.  I do not agree that budget dictates price.  It is all about content, and if I enjoy the game for 100 hours, 60 dollars is not a problem.

The Order 1886 had a big budget due to all of the visual tech and engine building, so it was priced at 60 dollars.  Many people felt that a 6 to 8 hour game at 60 dollars was ridiculous, so now I have to ask, which is it?  Pretty visuals or content provided?  Battlefront 2 was lacking in content for only paying the base 60 dollars, but it was heavy budget and had great visuals so it was ok right?  Oh wait...no it was not.

The bolded at the end of your post, that is all you need to say.  There is no need to complain about the price despite giving you tons of enjoyable gameplay that would be well worth the 60 dollars.  If you feel you might not enjoy that content however, well no one can argue that.  Only you can make that choice.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

areason said:
Mar1217 said:

Kinda screwd point of view when we know that games were way pricier back then. 60$ isn't cheap, but by the laws of inflation, it kinda is now.

60 dollars for a game is cheap. 

Movie tickets average at 10 dollars for about 2 hours of entertainment. 

Games are able to give up to 200 times that, while only costing 6 times as much. 

Crunchyroll, Netflix, and Hulu are about $10-$15 a month and offer hundreds of hours of entertainment. Most games run 40 to 60 hours. If they are online there's a subscription service unless you play on PC. Then you have to pay upfront for the hardware to play them on. Considering that, games are priced about the same per hour as other forms of media. So no. Game prices do not need to be raised. 

The argument you are making is the same one put forth by "games as a service" CEOs. I've seen news segments where some corporate stooge is making the exact same argument.  And it fails completely. 

areason said:
Wyrdness said:

Development costs means bugger all as far as value goes, they can make the game for free for any of us cares if the game delivers worth while content then that's all that matters.

It doesn't offer worthwhile content that's worthy of the 60 dollar price tag. 

It's a handheld game, on a console. Divinity Original Sin 2 retails for 45 dollars, all of the games which are similar to it do not retail for 60 dollars. 

Compared to the market, compared to its competition it does not hold up to it's price tag. 

And the idea that development costs do not matter is insane, you're basically asking to get ripped off. 

It has excellent gameplay mechanics, well written plotline, more content than a lot of 60 dollar games, and is enjoyable to seemingly most people who play it.

I could give a crap about budget if the content is there.  Quantum Break had a big budget, but lacked the content.  Are you saying that it deserves the 60 dollar tag more than Octopath?  It is like you are asking not only to get ripped off, but also for the developers to make less money and have potentially less to put into their next game.

Cerebralbore101 said:
areason said:

60 dollars for a game is cheap. 

Movie tickets average at 10 dollars for about 2 hours of entertainment. 

Games are able to give up to 200 times that, while only costing 6 times as much. 

Crunchyroll, Netflix, and Hulu are about $10-$15 a month and offer hundreds of hours of entertainment. Most games run 40 to 60 hours. If they are online there's a subscription service unless you play on PC. Then you have to pay upfront for the hardware to play them on. Considering that, games are priced about the same per hour as other forms of media. So no. Game prices do not need to be raised. 

The argument you are making is the same one put forth by "games as a service" CEOs. I've seen news segments where some corporate stooge is making the exact same argument.  And it fails completely. 

By comparing prices to a streaming service, you are saying you would prefer game as a service like PSNow.  This is what corporations would prefer anyway so it is you who are playing into their hands with that argument.

No thank you, I would rather own physical copies or at least download the game to my own media.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Mar1217 said:

I heard many people complain over the short the campaign of Mario Odyssey which in turn made them question if it was worth the 80$ 

And seriously ?! A high-end stylised JRPG called low-fidelity game ? On the basis of what ?  Don't mask your opinion on the basis of critism.

What about Octopath makes it high-end? Quality of art and sprites? Neither of those disqualify it from being called low fidelity. I think Octopath is worth $60 because I'll pay just about anything for high quality JRPGs. That said, it's not a hard argument to make that it should be priced differently. Much like I Am Setsuna and Lost Sphear, it should have been priced differently from an $60 game.

Shaunodon said:

(0:21) "Exclusive to Switch, it takes the traditional top down style of SNES greats like FFVI and blends it with the cutting edge rendering techniques of Unreal Engine 4."

I don't see how this helps your argument. Game is beautiful, but it's clearly not pushing any boundaries. They went with style over fidelity. That's ok. At full price, it's going to be compared to other $60 games, regardless of length.

Did you bother watching the video? Just because it's not on the same scale as FFXV or DQXI doesn't mean there's nothing high-end about it. Persona 5 is not on the same scale as those games and went with style over fidelity, but that's somehow different because it has 3D models and cutscenes?
What magical line in the sand are we drawing here.

Grouping it directly with I am Setsuna and Lost Sphear is just lazy at best.

Shiken said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

By comparing prices to a streaming service, you are saying you would prefer game as a service like PSNow.  This is what corporations would prefer anyway so it is you who are playing into their hands with that argument.

No thank you, I would rather own physical copies or at least download the game to my own media.

If they could offer up every single brand new game for $15 a month, with no input lag, and no hardware to buy, I'd do it. But they won't do every single new game. And if they did they wouldn't just charge $15 a month. The fact that they want to charge $4 to $10 a month just for the ability to play online-multiplayer proves that. XBL is about $5 a month, and gamepass is $10. But those are mostly old games. And you still have to shell out money for the system to play it on. 

I have no doubt that once MS eventually kills off the Xbox brand and goes for "Games as a Service" full time, they will try to charge people $30 to $40 a month. And they will do a bunch of other scams to get even more money out of you on top of that, like holding your game saves hostage on the cloud. Or offering a premium monthly price, just to get all the DLC. People forget how MS wanted to charge people $10 just for the ability to sell their used copy. 

You already know this, but most people don't so I'll say it anyway. Once physical games disappear game companies will be able to charge whatever the hell they want, because there will be no alternative. Steam sales are driven by the used game market. Once there is no more used game market there will be no more steam sales.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that the corporate stooges aren't advocating a $15 streaming service. They are making this argument to justify content carving, season passes, and micro-transactions. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 20 July 2018

I think it is more expectations. It's got the retro FFVI graphics but done in 3D, still retro though. People expect retro styled games to be at a discount. I suspect I will get the game at some point, I was quite excited about it, but I never even considered that it would be a full priced game because it looks like a 3D version of a 16 bit game. I just assumed it would be like $30 bucks the entire time I knew about it and then when I realized it was gonna be twice that cost I was like ok no way in hell I'm paying twice what I expected to pay. So for me I'll wait until its discounted to pick it up. I'm not a graphics whore at all and think that people still are obsessed with graphics these days when every single system has unbelievable graphics is crazy, but my expectation for a retro styled game is that it will be cheaper. No doubt the game is worth more than plenty of other $60 games, but in terms of presentation it looks like a (REALLY COOL) retro indie style game, so the expectation from the presentation of the game is that it should cost like $30-$40.

Wyrdness said:
DonFerrari said:

So let's say when you buy a house you don't care if they used the most garbage material or top notch, the price should be the same and companies should suck as much profit as possible from you and you wouldn't care as long as you like the house itself?

Strawman argument because your argument here hinges on the quality of materials used to build a house when in fact the actual scenario is you buy a house that was built with materials that weren't from top expensive brands but are still of good quality resulting in a house that still stands up to other houses. In that scenario the cost to build it doesn't matter because the quality still matches any other product out there.

Nope, Octopath wasn't made using good quality material in the same venue as AAA games are. It was made using cheap alternatives.

And just to make something very clear to you, 100h of content that aren't as good as 30h of another doesn't make it same value. And that is the root of those people point.

Also if amount of content and duration would be a good reason to charge 60 USD them you should be charged 60 USD to buy the classics (like FFs from PS1) on your current system, but no company do that because those games aren't up to the same standard of games that are charged 60 USD nowadays.

For me it seems more like you are trying to validate your own expenditure and an attempt to deflect any critics that you were overcharged and should feel bad about your purchase.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Wyrdness said:

Strawman argument because your argument here hinges on the quality of materials used to build a house when in fact the actual scenario is you buy a house that was built with materials that weren't from top expensive brands but are still of good quality resulting in a house that still stands up to other houses. In that scenario the cost to build it doesn't matter because the quality still matches any other product out there.

Nope, Octopath wasn't made using good quality material in the same venue as AAA games are. It was made using cheap alternatives.

And just to make something very clear to you, 100h of content that aren't as good as 30h of another doesn't make it same value. And that is the root of those people point.

Also if amount of content and duration would be a good reason to charge 60 USD them you should be charged 60 USD to buy the classics (like FFs from PS1) on your current system, but no company do that because those games aren't up to the same standard of games that are charged 60 USD nowadays.

For me it seems more like you are trying to validate your own expenditure and an attempt to deflect any critics that you were overcharged and should feel bad about your purchase.

No dude Octopath was made using UE4 the same engine as many other AAA games which hilariously shoots down your analogy all together because it's using the same materials essentially.

As for content too bad for you that the majority who have played through it flat out say the 50+ hours are as good as any other good game which again contradicts your argument. PS1 games aren't newly developed which again is another strawman argument.

To me it seems like you're reaching to justify your own stance, I have logical reasoning as well as concrete facts that back my stance you on the other hand have nothing in your argument and seem irritated by people liking the game, if you also want to go the personal route just say because like other so called keyboard commandos before you who have tried I'll leave you as a wreck in the corner rolling around like your name is Neymar.