By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The biggest problem with 3rd party ports on Switch...

zorg1000 said:
Faelco said:
I perfectly agree with your point. I owned every Nintendo handheld except the Switch, and the Wii. All of those consoles got just a few games, never more than 4 or 5. Meanwhile, all of my Sony console (1 to 4, Vita) got easily 10 games, and surely even 20+ on Vita and PS4 with digital.

When I want to buy a 3-4+ years old Nintendo SD game, see that it's still at 35€, and on the next shelf or online see big and more recent games on PS4 for 20-30€, the choice is quick to make. During the spring sale, I got The Witcher 3 and DLCs plus Doom for the price of Fire Emblem Fates... It's also a lot easier to take risks with smaller or less famous games when they're at 5-10€.

Nintendo's pricing policy is anti-consumer compared to their competitors, and the almost lack of digital doesn't help.

What does the bolded mean?

Can't be sure with the Switch of course, but it means that for me Nintendo's console are not made for digital. 

Mostly because of the lack of storage space. And my experience using the 3DS digital store to buy some DLCs made me say "Never again" because of how outdated it felt. 

Around the Network
Faelco said:
zorg1000 said:

Can't be sure with the Switch of course, but it means that for me Nintendo's console are not made for digital. 

Mostly because of the lack of storage space. And my experience using the 3DS digital store to buy some DLCs made me say "Never again" because of how outdated it felt. 

Think I'm gonna need my confused gif here again.

Think on my 128gb card I've got around 60 games installed on my switch, if you wanted to splash out you can buy 512gb micro SD cards for the system.

That said if you buy 4-10 games per system you'll have no issues with the switch storage.

Effectively every game except Skylanders is available on the eShop. Very modern online store.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Faelco said:
zorg1000 said:

Its leaps and bounds better than on 3DS, like 100x better.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

With that said, Wolf 2 is selling pretty well on the eShop.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Nintendo has a policy of not putting games on clearance and holding price points in majoirty of cases. Sony seems to drop as quick as possible most of the time.

One year later major Switch releases will be $40-50 still while can expect to find major PS4 releases for $20. Back in PS3 days I got Mass Effect 2 and 3 for $5 each a year after release. I bought Assassin's Creed 1, 2, Brotherhood, Revelations, and 3 for a combined $50 by waiting.

It's different models, I like both companies, but I could pay $200 more for a Sony system and $50 a year for online still by life cycle end save money compared to a Nintendo system due to differing cost of games (this assumes I buy roughly the same amount of games).

Around the Network
fleischr said:
With that said, Wolf 2 is selling pretty well on the eShop.

Every game sells well on the eshop for the first week or so.  DOOM was up there and dropped off soon after.  If it stays top 30 for a month or so, this will be a valid point.  As of now though, it means nothing without exact numbers.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
melbye said:
I think it's a bigger problem that they are late. Having Wolfenstein and Doom on Switch is really cool and i think it's awesome for the people who enjoy those kind of games in handheld-mode, but that isn't really for me because it's not the kind of games i want to play in handheld-mode and i already own them on PS4.
You shouldn't need to justify what buy and don't buy, how you spend your money is entirely up to you

That is the other half of the problem.  If they were day and date with the other versions, this would no longer be an issue.  It is being late on top of being more expensive that hurts it.

Yeah, you've covered it. I feel like there's more to it, not about current circumstances that demand games be full price, but between the history of Nintendo's video game business and their philosophy on hardware design and third party support. There's a good reason for games not to be made with Nintendo in mind. (Ie. dev for PS/Xbox and PC/Steam by default)

EDIT: making a thread later. Gonna do some research.

Currently (Re-)Playing: Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void Multiplayer, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Currently Watching: The Shield, Stein's;Gate, Narcos

For me the only wrong on that is you selling your games for credits and considering them free money =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
For me the only wrong on that is you selling your games for credits and considering them free money =p

Figure of speech for the 50th time lol.

I am never gonna live that one down...XD

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Good point, OP. Switch ports are a lost cause to begin with : more expensive, inferior versions, late on the market and portability is not a thing anymore. There's a lot more value in PS4/X1, which also have truckloads of games that won't come to Switch as E3 clearly showed.

Shaunodon said:

I think you've missed the whole point of portability. It's nothing to do with value for money, most people who work won't have time to sit at home and play through Persona 5, Monster Hunter World, Assassin's Creed Origins, and Dragonball FighterZ. They want them on Switch so they can fit them into their schedule while out on the go.

Strange. I thought that most people in the west tend to drive to work, hence not playing games outside. It's when they're home, during evenings and weekends, that they can relax and play.