By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The biggest problem with 3rd party ports on Switch...

MajorMalfunction said:
Miyamotoo said:

Thats not true, Nintendo recently said that even some Indie games are around 1m on Switch, also games like Super Bomberman R, Fifa, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle are also most likly are around 1m. In short 3rd party games are selling quite good on Switch, much better than on last few Nintendo platforms.

Are some indie games an indication of AAA Western game performance? Games like Wolf 2 aren't going to continue to get ported if they don't cover the opportunity cost of doing something else more profitable. That was what I was getting at.

Actually we don't talking about some Indie games but plenty of Indie games are selling great on Switch and actually better than on other platforms. Point in any case is that you are wrong buy saying that Skyrim is only 3rd party million seller on Switch, I also mentioned games that are not Indie and probably million sellers, I can also add to that list Minecraft also. Wolf 2 is not best example in any case because game didn't sell good on other platforms too, on other hand Doom sold/selling OK especially when we talk about late full priced port. At end like I wrote, generaly 3rd party games are selling quite good on Switch, much better than on last few Nintendo platforms.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
MajorMalfunction said:

Are some indie games an indication of AAA Western game performance? Games like Wolf 2 aren't going to continue to get ported if they don't cover the opportunity cost of doing something else more profitable. That was what I was getting at.

Actually we don't talking about some Indie games but plenty of Indie games are selling great on Switch and actually better than on other platforms. Point in any case is that you are wrong buy saying that Skyrim is only 3rd party million seller on Switch, I also mentioned games that are not Indie and probably million sellers, I can also add to that list Minecraft also. Wolf 2 is not best example in any case because game didn't sell good on other platforms too, on other hand Doom sold/selling OK especially when we talk about late full priced port. At end like I wrote, generaly 3rd party games are selling quite good on Switch, much better than on last few Nintendo platforms.

What I'm saying is I don't see them on Nintendo's website. That's the information I'm basing my posts on. We may have to agree to disagree. The performance of indie games is irrelevant to publishers looking to make bank on AAA games. Minecraft's performance is also irrelevant. I'm thinking you've fallen to the "hot hand falacy". You seem think because AAA games have happened on NSW, that they will continue to come. Sales performance and opportunity cost dominate that discussion for businesses. "Much better than previous nintendo consoles" doesn't hold much water to me. Just because sales aren't as bad as previous consoles, doesn't necessarily mean it's a prudent investment.

Currently (Re-)Playing: Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void Multiplayer, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Currently Watching: The Shield, Stein's;Gate, Narcos

MajorMalfunction said:

What I'm saying is I don't see them on Nintendo's website. That's the information I'm basing my posts on.

What does this mean? How is Nintendo's website relevant to 3rd party sales?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
MajorMalfunction said:

What I'm saying is I don't see them on Nintendo's website. That's the information I'm basing my posts on.

Nintendo posts million sellers on their website. I'll find it. I haven't found any other reliably sourced information. If we have leaks, go ahead and post them please. I'd like to know. If all you have is VGC numbers, well, you might as well have nothing.

EDIT: found it, but it won't load on my machine. Cannot tell if it's the website itself or what. https://www.nintendo.com/games/bestsellers

Last edited by MajorMalfunction - on 22 July 2018

Currently (Re-)Playing: Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void Multiplayer, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

MajorMalfunction said:
zorg1000 said:

Nintendo posts million sellers on their website. I'll find it. I haven't found any other reliably sourced information. If we have leaks, go ahead and post them please. I'd like to know. If all you have is VGC numbers, well, you might as well have nothing.

EDIT: found it, but it won't load on my machine. Cannot tell if it's the website itself or what. https://www.nintendo.com/games/bestsellers

No, they post the top 10 games published by Nintendo that are above 1 million, the list does not include 3rd party titles.

Pokken & Mario Rabbids were confirmed over 1 million but not on the list because they are not published globally by Nintendo.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
MajorMalfunction said:

No, they post the top 10 games published by Nintendo that are above 1 million, the list does not include 3rd party titles.

Pokken & Mario Rabbids were confirmed over 1 million but not on the list because they are not published globally by Nintendo.

Swore I found Skyrim listed. My apologies.

MajorMalfunction said:
zorg1000 said:

Swore I found Skyrim listed. My apologies.

No worries, here is the current list by the way and it will be updated on July 31.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/index.html

MajorMalfunction said:
Miyamotoo said:

What I'm saying is I don't see them on Nintendo's website. That's the information I'm basing my posts on. We may have to agree to disagree. The performance of indie games is irrelevant to publishers looking to make bank on AAA games. Minecraft's performance is also irrelevant. I'm thinking you've fallen to the "hot hand falacy". You seem think because AAA games have happened on NSW, that they will continue to come. Sales performance and opportunity cost dominate that discussion for businesses. "Much better than previous nintendo consoles" doesn't hold much water to me. Just because sales aren't as bad as previous consoles, doesn't necessarily mean it's a prudent investment.

Like its already stated, Nintendo lists top 10 Nintendo published games with numbers, so 3rd party games that are not published buy Nintendo and that are not in among 10 best selling Switch games cant be on that list (as 31. March numbers, Kirby is on 10. position with 1.26m). I dont talk about what is relevant or irrelevant, but about simple point that 3rd party games are generaly selling good on Switch in any case, most 3rd partyes that released their games on Switch said they are satisfied with sales of their games on Switch, latest example is Take-Two.

https://nintendoeverything.com/take-two-says-its-switch-games-have-been-successful/

Offcourse if games are selling good on Switch and publishers are satisfired with sales and profit, that we can expect more games and further support, especially because Switch install base cotinue to rapidly growing.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 23 July 2018

Miyamotoo said:
MajorMalfunction said:

Offcourse if games are selling good on Switch and publishers are satisfired with sales and profit, that we can expect more games and further support, especially because Switch install base cotinue to rapidly growing.

I'm a skeptic by nature. I'll believe it when I see it. Switch is doing good, but nothing got announced at E3. I hope I'm wrong, but I feel like there's fundamental problems with the way Nintendo tries to attract third parties. Nintendo needs third parties, third parties don't need Nintendo. That's where I'm coming from. Hope I've explained myself at least.

MajorMalfunction said:
Miyamotoo said:

I'm a skeptic by nature. I'll believe it when I see it. Switch is doing good, but nothing got announced at E3. I hope I'm wrong, but I feel like there's fundamental problems with the way Nintendo tries to attract third parties. Nintendo needs third parties, third parties don't need Nintendo. That's where I'm coming from. Hope I've explained myself at least.

Disagree, I don't think there is problem at all between Nintendo and 3rd party any more, we know that Nintendo has much better communication with 3rd party regardless support than before, and Switch has much better support from tools and engine support than before, at end all comes to if 3rd partes think is worth enough to release some games on Switch. Saying that Nintendo needs third parties but third parties don't need Nintendo is wrong, offcourse that potential and sales for Switch would be stronger with 3rd party than whithout them, but Switch is selling very good despite has much weaker 3rd party support than XB1/PS4, on other hand all that could be said for 3rd party, potential and sales for 3rd party would be stronger if they support Switch also, but they are also selling good whithout Nintendo support.