By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

Hmm, Hugh Jackman is returning as Wolverine in 2024……that can’t be a coincidence

Around the Network
gtotheunit91 said:

Hmm, Hugh Jackman is returning as Wolverine in 2024……that can’t be a coincidence

Now we have our release date for the wolverine game and who will be mocking up for it, that is certainly good marketing for it =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Yeah, good month and I don't have any of them yet.

twintail said:

The idea that Sony should just drop COD makes literally no sense. The more ppl who buy into a COD PS5 bundle, the better for Sony, especially if an alternate game is ever created to satisfy the loss of COD in the future.

I doubt Sony is resting on their laurels and secretly hoping COD stays on PS forever. Nor do I think they are 'sweating' at the loss of COD: that ain't happening for a good number of years, and Sony has shown that they are very willing to invest in new and existing studios to build relationships between IP and PS.

And honestly, I feel like the issue with COD is more about the value it brings to Gamepass, which is something Sony knows they can't realistically compete with in any short to medium time frame. So content will be important for Sony, and I believe you'll see that through partnerships, their own developed games, and acquisitions.

What i think will be interesting is whether Sony has been eyeing any FPS heavy studios (outside of Deviation and perhaps Firewalk). There's never going to be a COD killer, but FPS variety could be a good way offsetting its loss.

Yep, I think Sony is more pounding and crying just to get the most favorable timeframe (earning more time) for them work on the potential loss of CoD in the next years.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

PotentHerbs said:
VersusEvil said:

It took awhile but finished Stray, I'm not really fond of speedrun trophies but this was pretty doable (2hrs) got it in 1hr23. Overall a pretty solid, great looking indie.

One of the best puzzle/platformers I've ever played, just below Portal 2, but the speed run trophy put me off from attaining the platinum. They are absolutely vile lol!

I don't like speedrun trophies either but I managed it on Kaze and the Wild Masks. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
ConservagameR said:

Getting away from COD entirely would be more of a long term goal. Dropping COD asap would be leaving way too much on the table right now.

Sony needs a replacement of some sort. Doesn't need to be quite a knock off, but could, yet similar enough it can draw from that audience.

They could maybe work more closely with EA and Dice to better Battlefield, while also helping market it to high heaven for PS5. Though that wouldn't solve the COD problem because it's too different, in a good way, yet would only be a start.

Sony along with Bungie could at the same time, work on a COD like new IP, but we probably wouldn't see it until PS6. I'd say ride what they can from COD for the next few years, while also slowly walking away from it with Battlefield, with a first party COD competitor to come next gen.

Kyuu said:

The good news is supply will most likely considerably improve in the coming months. I can see the 2023 revision being slightly smaller but I don't know if it will be a proper "slim" version.

I tend to agree. The wavy case shape itself makes it harder to be and look slim. If they flattened it out some that would help, but wouldn't be as true to the original.

I kinda doubt the 1200 power supply is shrunk down, and is probably the same as prior, so that should be able to be downsized a bit. The heatsink also should be able to be redesigned, even if just the layout, to make it more compact. They could always shrink the fan size a bit, but then they're quite likely to need higher RPM's leading to the fan making a little bit more noise. The PS5 is pretty darn quiet right now though, so a little more noise wouldn't be a big deal.

Removing the disc drive would also help a bit. If they can make it so it's an add on, so it slides right on the end of the console, so it matches the case design and just lengthens it, that would pretty neat. What you would end up with in that situation would probably be something as tall as the PS5 now standing up, but not near as deep, front to back. As for width, it's hard to say how much slimmer they could actually make it vs the original.

The other way I could see them going, is making it like the PS3 Slim, where it wasn't all that long but was quite deep front to back. This allowed them to slim it down enough to be noticeable. They could still tack an add on disc drive on the end that way as well.

They could go for a squarelike design to ensure they keep minimum total size in dependence of the fan, plus since they are making the chip smaller and more efficient with smaller PS there will be less heat generated so smaller fan perhaps at same RPM, at most perhaps putting a little more money on the heatsink and whatnot.

PS3 Slim was more square like, so ya, they might do that maybe.

The new 1200 PS5 already has the 6nm chip in it, and while the heatsink has been reduced a bit again, it's not a ton smaller, and the minimal heat testing so far has shown it's about the same temps as the 1100 and 1000. More in depth testing is needed though.

Losing too much heatsink as well as air movement will likely cause a Slim to run hotter. A smaller fan would need to be designed more efficiently to try and match the original fans airflow without having much higher noisy RPM's, or the heatsink would likely need more heat pipes or copper in general to keep it as cool. Otherwise the Slim would likely run hotter. Not like that would be a big concern, as long as it's not too hot.

They could also do something kinda like this perhaps. I remember seeing it back before the launch as a potential internal layout. Sony could maybe use a very large in circumference, yet slim fan, on one or both sides. Larger and slimmer than the fans pictured here though.

PS5 might be more like another PS3 hardware cycle, where we get 2 Slims. PS3 was a more gradual size reduction. Sort of like PS4 and its Slim, but there were only 2, and the PS4 never should've been that small and slim to begin with at launch. If it were larger like PS5 (but not necessarily PS5 huge) so it didn't sound like an air strip, the PS4 Slim would've seemed like quite the reduction.

ConservagameR said:
DonFerrari said:

They could go for a squarelike design to ensure they keep minimum total size in dependence of the fan, plus since they are making the chip smaller and more efficient with smaller PS there will be less heat generated so smaller fan perhaps at same RPM, at most perhaps putting a little more money on the heatsink and whatnot.

PS3 Slim was more square like, so ya, they might do that maybe.

The new 1200 PS5 already has the 6nm chip in it, and while the heatsink has been reduced a bit again, it's not a ton smaller, and the minimal heat testing so far has shown it's about the same temps as the 1100 and 1000. More in depth testing is needed though.

Losing too much heatsink as well as air movement will likely cause a Slim to run hotter. A smaller fan would need to be designed more efficiently to try and match the original fans airflow without having much higher noisy RPM's, or the heatsink would likely need more heat pipes or copper in general to keep it as cool. Otherwise the Slim would likely run hotter. Not like that would be a big concern, as long as it's not too hot.

They could also do something kinda like this perhaps. I remember seeing it back before the launch as a potential internal layout. Sony could maybe use a very large in circumference, yet slim fan, on one or both sides. Larger and slimmer than the fans pictured here though.

PS5 might be more like another PS3 hardware cycle, where we get 2 Slims. PS3 was a more gradual size reduction. Sort of like PS4 and its Slim, but there were only 2, and the PS4 never should've been that small and slim to begin with at launch. If it were larger like PS5 (but not necessarily PS5 huge) so it didn't sound like an air strip, the PS4 Slim would've seemed like quite the reduction.

Yep. twin fans will do great.

twintail said:

i think Sackboy or Returnal are this year. i also think that releases are going to be spaced out so that there aren't long dry spells, so to speak. 

There's no reason for them to do Day 1 anytime soon either, I feel. They get extended social media presence this way, like Spider-Man being talked about again with the upcoming PC release of MM. 

Just my 2 cents though. 

You called it! Returnal may just happen this year now!

Leaked footage of the settings menu for Returnal on PC apparently was leaked online yesterday but Sony has been copyrighting the videos. Included graphics options that were shown in the footage were support for Nvidia DLSS and Ray Tracing, and of course unlocked framerate but was labeled "infinity" lol.

I'm almost 100% certain that Returnal is getting a PC release this year as well now. That would make 6 total PlayStation releases on PC in 2022. I highly doubt TLoU Part I is releasing on PC this year. It's a marquee title and the remainder of the year is really crowded. 

I made a new account since the hacker hurt my old account.

Sega Saturn fan most honest, Can you guess which Miku veriosn on here? She has my birth stone color Turqiouse on her eyes.