By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

Kyuu said:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh

THOSE LOOK SO GOOD! I thought only the Nintendo Switch was getting glorious pixel games! 

speaking of, when are we getting Final Fantasy 1-6 Pixel Remasters on console? Seriously, I'll pick them up on PS4/5 and Switch. yes, I'll buy them twice. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:

Great, still want to get it on Switch because it plays perfectly portable, but the more platforms it gets released the better

This is very interesting if true. Tom Henderson is also a pretty reliable journalist so it's definitely possible.

https://insider-gaming.com/new-playstation-5/

Tom Henderson - PS5 redesign planned with detachable disc drive

SONY TO LAUNCH NEW PLAYSTATION 5 WITH A DETACHABLE DISC DRIVE, SOURCES SUGGEST

The PlayStation 5 is set to get a unique overhaul in the middle of FY 2023, with the new console launching around September 2023, say sources.

Sources familiar with Sony’s plans have shared details under the condition of anonymity outlining the next iteration of the PlayStation 5. It’s been suggested that this new console will completely replace the A, B, and C chassis that have been in production since the console’s launch.

The console, currently named the D chassis PlayStation 5, will have almost identical hardware to the existing consoles already on the market.

The most surprising new feature of the new this new PS5 though, is that the console will have a detachable disk drive. The detachable disc drive will be connected to the PlayStation 5 using an extra USB-C port on the back of the console.

It’s understood that this new PlayStation 5 console will be sold on its own, or, in a bundle with the detachable disc drive. It’s also understood that the disc drives can also be purchased separately, so, if it gets busted, there’s no need to buy an entirely new console.

Sources have implied that although the new detachable disc drive is portable, it will not ruin the aesthetics of the console and will attach to it without looking external, presumably meaning the new PlayStation 5 will look similar to the existing model.

However, the new detachable disc drive could entail that the new iteration of the PlayStation 5 will be slimmer and lighter, which is something Sony has been trying to implement effectively with its latest PS5 models.

Kyuu said:
DonFerrari said:

Nice but not enough to make me want to buy and play =p

Truth be told, I'm not 100% sure if I'm getting it myself, does that make me a hypocrite? :P

Runa216 said:

THOSE LOOK SO GOOD! I thought only the Nintendo Switch was getting glorious pixel games! 

speaking of, when are we getting Final Fantasy 1-6 Pixel Remasters on console? Seriously, I'll pick them up on PS4/5 and Switch. yes, I'll buy them twice. 

They look gorgeous! I think it's a bit of a challenge to make old 2d games look appealing on bigger screens, but yeah, this still doesn't explain the situation considering how easy it is to port them in acceptable forms for added revenue streams. No Switch ports in particular is very strange.

Konami also announced Maze of Galious remake!! (well they're not making the game themselves, but they're letting a reputable indie make it, and will help marketing it). Maze of Galious on the MSX is my original "Dark Souls" and the game I blame for my exploration addiction.

Finally they confirmed a cool high fidelity shmup exclusively for PS5/Series/PC! Unfortunately it isn't Gradius... but still a W in my book:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bzenHb-3TU

As a huge fan of classic Konami (my original favorite pubisher), their TGS updates (and Eiyuden) pleasantly surprised me. Konami is much more to me than just Metal Gear, Castlevania, and Silent Hill. I think I played dozens of different IP's from them and enjoyed most.

Don't make you a hypocrite, you liked it, shared it for others to see but perhaps don't have time or wish to pay fullprice, totally understandable from my pov.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Bristow9091 said:

Graphically I think Eiyuden looks miles ahead of the Suikoden remasters even if they're going for different styles, and the main reason for that is because the sprites of the Suikoden remasters are basically ripped from the original games so look horribly low res compared to the newly updated backgrounds, to the point where I find it a little offputting... that being said I've never played the games but always heard great things about them, so I'll definitely be picking it up eventually.

This happens in so many games. Like sometimes they update the 3D models of chars but leave the background at most upscaled texture. Some other times the whole game is remastered to a good level but they level cutscene original or just upscaled and that gives such a big break that it is off-putting. 

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
VersusEvil said:

Low key one of my favourite things in video games is levels where it rains and TLOU part 1 has one of the best rain levels in recent memory. I still don't think this game needed a remake (hell it didn't need any sort of re-release) but the downpour is beautiful.

I'd argue that it needed the PS4 remaster just to give us a stable framerate lol, and it also helped the game look pretty fucking great at the time since it was clearly held back by the PS3, but I absolutely agree that the PS5 remake is completely unnecessary, although it does look fucking gorgeous and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to play it lol. 

I mean, from a global perspective no games are necessary. 

But I don't get the discourse surrounding this game. They took a great game and made it better. (Still not a fan, personally, but let's be real here); it's up to you as a consumer to decide if you want to buy it now or if it's worth it. to many it's not. To some it is. Remastering a game takes a lot less time and effort than making a whole new game so it wasn't like they were taking resources away from another project, and it's not like Sony games don't go on sale within 6 months of release, soooo...

I dunno. Gaming is a luxury, not essential. Everything is on a spectrum in regards to what is and isn't worth it, and what prices are and are not fair, and the frequency of releases and ports and upgrades. Gaming is art, they can put whatever effort they want into whatever release they want and sell it for whatever they want. It's up to us to decide if it's worth it or not. Was it NECESSARY? No, no remasters are (not even the fabled/wished for Bloodborne remaster), but I see no harm in updating the game. 

In spite of not being a huge fan of the game I still intend to pick it up because, while it wasn't necessary, I still hear great things about how it looks and plays. 

Funny that nowhere near as many people are bitching about PErsona 5 Royal on PS5. THAT I won't be picking up because I already paid for 5 and 5 Royal instead of just upgrading it. They can get bent. But again, I'm not angry at them, I just don't feel what they are demanding is worth it while I feel The Last of Us Part 1 is. Even though P5R is longer and better in every way. Everyone gets to make their own decisions on this.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

How do you guys feel about one major showcase versus 4x - 5x major State of Plays a year?

As in, instead of a major showcase with a ton of exciting first and third party reveals, Sony will sprinkle their major game announcements and partnerships throughout State of Plays during the year. For me, nothing beats a showcase, but at the same time, I'm not conditioned (yet) for these random State of Plays to include massive reveals lol.

I could imagine a 20 minute State of Play with nothing but AAA reveals, from first and third party, changing a lot of minds on this subject.

God damn!!!! I never would've thought that 200fps+ would be possible in a massive open world game like Spider-Man Remastered. With Ray Tracing on! 

I'm definitely upgrading my graphics card I'm blown away at PlayStation's dedication to PC features. This new tech was barely announced yesterday and it's already going to be implemented!

So much for "the real insider"

I'm on that PlayStation 5 wave fellas!! I got the HFW bundle unexpectedly from a family member. Got it all set up and I'm currently waiting for HFW to download. Played through a good chunk of Astro's Playroom and have some impressions:

- This is a great tech demo to demonstrate the capabilities of the PlayStation 5 and the Dualsense controller
- It's a very fun platformer with a lot of charm and throwbacks
- Not really blown away from the haptic feedback, feels a bit more refined than regular vibration
- The adaptive triggers are a game changer

I didn't play around with the UI yet but I have noticed its a bit inconvenient to access your trophies/friends lists. I feel like I won't be purchasing any games until God of War Ragnarok releases, or if Ratchet and Clank goes on sale, since I also got NBA 2K23, but I'll work towards the platinum for HFW & Astro's Playroom in the meantime, with 2K in rotation.

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 21 September 2022