By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

Sony should've bought Atlus when they had a chance.

Around the Network

What would you guys think if Sony acquired Epic Games?

They would get a ton of development teams, popular live service games in Fortnite, Rocket League, Fall Guys, they would own Unreal Engine 5, and have a PC storefront where they could implement PS Plus and sell their ports exclusively on there. Overall it makes a ton of sense for Sony. It would be difficult to acquire them since Tencent has a major stake but they're not Microsoft when it comes to capital expenditure.

PotentHerbs said:

They would get a ton of development teams, popular live service games in Fortnite, Rocket League, Fall Guys, they would own Unreal Engine 5, and have a PC storefront where they could implement PS Plus and sell their ports exclusively on there. Overall it makes a ton of sense for Sony. It would be difficult to acquire them since Tencent has a major stake but they're not Microsoft when it comes to capital expenditure.

I really don't see that happening and I don't think I'd want them to either. Epic clearly has their own vision for their company and products that doesn't include being beholden to any one platform. Say what you want about EGS but I like the growth that Unreal Engine has made over the years and I wouldn't want any third party jeopardizing that.

TallSilhouette said:

I really don't see that happening and I don't think I'd want them to either. Epic clearly has their own vision for their company and products that doesn't include being beholden to any one platform. Say what you want about EGS but I like the growth that Unreal Engine has made over the years and I wouldn't want any third party jeopardizing that.

Aside from Sony using EGS to sell their first party software, and intertwine their subscription services, Epic will be operating similar to Bungie, under SIE rather than PlayStation Studios. They would be sabotaging their own investment if they made UE5 exclusive to Sony Interactive/Sony Pictures. 

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 01 April 2022

twintail said:

I don't think Sony are going to do their own movie/ tv subscription like this. They don't even own the IPs of their most lucrative division, Sony TV, nor would they jeopardise that part of their business. And they've already signed on a deal with Netflix to have Sony Pictures and Animation content released on their platform.

BUT, it is a big purchase with a lot of content, so I suppose a subscription with all of this would naturally make sense.

I thought Sony Pictures owned most of their IP's with SpiderMan being one of the few exceptions. Or is that more common with Sony's television shows? Which is a shame since Sony TV makes some of the best content today lol.

Just to be clear though, an all for one entertainment subscription is where I see Sony pivoting to in a decade or so, as I believe that is the final transition of subscription services. 

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:

I wouldn`t appreciate... a big publisher with mostly multiplayer background and well not my favorite games as well. And Sony already have great tools.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

TallSilhouette said:

lmao

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Bandorr said:

April fools is just the worst. It is legalized fake news.

Disagree, April fools we know is a joke and even when someone falls for one of them he soon discovers he was fooled. Fake news can keep being believed for a long time and sometimes even major outlets put them out as true.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Is anybody planning to buy something from the Spring sale?

I finally got Control for a decent price lol.