By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

Kyuu said:

FromSoft are just on another level. Elden Ring will explode in popularity, I think it's too late for Sony to buy them at a reasonable price.

IIRC, FromSoft doesn't own a lot of their IP, including Elden Ring & Dark Souls, which could make the price more palatable if Kadokawa wanted to sell them. It's one of the few studios I could see Sony shelling out for.

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 23 February 2022

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:

I think this will be an outlier in terms of Sony having a major showcase in March due to the fact they're launching PSVR2 this year. That being said, I could see this as a roadmap for 2022, which includes PSVR2 software and price, Spartacus announcement, first/third party updates & new reveals, etc. We will have another showcase in the summer (most likely September) to give us a roadmap for 2023. 

Going forward, I expect the September showcase(s) to be a roadmap for the upcoming year(s), with small or dedicated SoP's sprinkled throughout the year. 

the-pi-guy said:

They do own Sekiro, Tenchu (they bought back the IP rights, but not the rights to the first few games).

I think Sony would like From at this point, but it'd be hard to see Kadokawa parting with them. Especially now that Elden Ring is so acclaimed.

Yeah, its unlikely Kadokawa will want to part with From, but anything can happen nowadays.

Runa216 said:

Well, As of this writing, Elden Ring has a 98 on Metacritic.

Wait, 97. Still. Um, wow. I knew it was going to do well, but I thought 'well' was like 92-93. I AM NOT COMPLAINING!

Very high indeed, hope it is more in tone with the type of game I like to play because I didn`t like the soul series.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Runa216 said:

Well, As of this writing, Elden Ring has a 98 on Metacritic.

Wait, 97. Still. Um, wow. I knew it was going to do well, but I thought 'well' was like 92-93. I AM NOT COMPLAINING!

Very high indeed, hope it is more in tone with the type of game I like to play because I didn`t like the soul series.

AS much as I don't want to scare you off, if you don't like the Souls series you won't like this game. From what I can tell it's everything from all the other FromSouls games mashed up into one, and set in an open world. IT's got gameplay, elements, and themes from all the other games, including Sekiro and bloodborne. that's what I gathered from the network test and that's what its pre-release reviews seem to be saying. 

I would love to convince you to give it a shot, but no. If you don't like Souls, this is not the game for you. It's basically BloodSoulsEkiro VII

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
DonFerrari said:

AS much as I don't want to scare you off, if you don't like the Souls series you won't like this game. From what I can tell it's everything from all the other FromSouls games mashed up into one, and set in an open world. IT's got gameplay, elements, and themes from all the other games, including Sekiro and bloodborne. that's what I gathered from the network test and that's what its pre-release reviews seem to be saying. 

I would love to convince you to give it a shot, but no. If you don't like Souls, this is not the game for you. It's basically BloodSoulsEkiro VII

Well thanks for the heads up, there is a good discount for pre-order here but I`ll prefer to wait for discounts.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Bandorr said:

Digital Foundry said they would put off their "review" of Elden ring until the day one patch.
So all those reviews and comments are being made.. off the version that hasn't been patched?

So doesn't that mean the reviews and comments are actually underselling the game? If it is getting a 97/100 off prepatch - imagine the scores post-patch.

There is also the possibility reviewers ignored the faults and gave higher scores even with the issues?

Kyuu said:

FromSoft are just on another level. Elden Ring will explode in popularity, I think it's too late for Sony to buy them at a reasonable price.

Well it could be that they already had a discussion and even close to signing. Insomniac made Spider-Man and announced the purchase for a cheap price even though sales of the game were already very high.

DonFerrari said:
Runa216 said:

Well thanks for the heads up, there is a good discount for pre-order here but I`ll prefer to wait for discounts.

souls games go on quite the discount a few months after launch, so that's probably a good idea. I do think it's worth giving a shot to, but I wouldn't try to convince you to get it unless you were into the series as a whole. 

Not all games are for everyone and FromSouls games are some of the finest examples of that mentality in action. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

twintail said:
Kyuu said:

Tbh, I doubt Sony ever were. Not sure why anyone thinks Kadokawa is even open to selling them in the first place.

Though it would be an incredible get.

Honestly I just don't like the idea of these 'acquisition wars'. Like, I like that Sony basically just puts a ring on companies they're already almost exclusively working with, not huge third party stuff. they have got Demon's Souls and Bloodborne, but FromSoft is primarily a third party developer and I think it should stay that way. 

The only reason I'm okay with FFXVI being PS5 exclusive is because of the LONG history Sony has with Squaresoft/Square-Enix. I wouldn't want them buying up Square-Enix or Capcom either. Maybe Konami, just so that SOMEONE has those IPs and can do something with them. but that's it. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
DonFerrari said:

souls games go on quite the discount a few months after launch, so that's probably a good idea. I do think it's worth giving a shot to, but I wouldn't try to convince you to get it unless you were into the series as a whole. 

Not all games are for everyone and FromSouls games are some of the finest examples of that mentality in action. 

I got nioh, liked it somewhat but couldn`t muster the will to finish it.