By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

twintail said:
DonFerrari said:

Yep quite funny to go from rumors (or real negotiations, dunno) with MS for a total buyout to partnership with Sony and integration in the OS.

Oh, MS didn't buy them?

Weird... I somehow thought it was just a done deal and never gave it another thought.

Got cancelled for whatever reason, don't remember as well.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Man, I just read that Resident Evil Village on PS5 has a filesize of only 27 GB Vs Ps4 and Xbox's 50+ GB. That is pretty damn incredible.

I think PS5's compression more than makes up for PS5's smaller onboard hard drive. While Xbox has a 1TB hard drive and PS5 has only 825GB, PS5's compression is better so I guarantee you can fit more PS5 games on the PS5 than you can fit Series X games on the Series X. This is, of course, backwards compatible games notwithstanding.

Also, I got an 8TB external drive. Should EASILY be able to fit all my PS4 games and cover me for most if not ALL of the PS5 generation (I also intend to get a 2TB NVME expansion once that feature is unlocked) with the PS5's compression and the fact that ALL my digital PS4 games take up only about 3.5TB total, I think that's a reasonable expectation. As of right now, my actually owned PS4 games (not PS+ games) is about 3TB, then we got a handful of games like Bioshock that add another hefty 500-800 GB, so all of that together up to this point only barely fills my 4TB drive and I just doubled the drive's capacity. Considering I'm unlikely to get many if any more PS4 games, that means I'll have about 3-4TB to work with just for those well-compressed PS5 games.

Looking more and more like a wonderful generation to me!

Last edited by Runa216 - on 04 May 2021

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:

Man, I just read that Resident Evil Village on PS5 has a filesize of only 27 GB Vs Ps4 and Xbox's 50+ GB. That is pretty damn incredible.

I think PS5's compression more than makes up for PS5's smaller onboard hard drive. While Xbox has a 1TB hard drive and PS5 has only 825GB, PS5's compression is better so I guarantee you can fit more PS5 games on the PS5 than you can fit Series X games on the Series X. This is, of course, backwards compatible games notwithstanding.

Also, I got an 8TB external drive. Should EASILY be able to fit all my PS4 games and cover me for most if not ALL of the PS5 generation (I also intend to get a 2TB NVME expansion once that feature is unlocked) with the PS5's compression and the fact that ALL my digital PS4 games take up only about 3.5TB total, I think that's a reasonable expectation. As of right now, my actually owned PS4 games (not PS+ games) is about 3TB, then we got a handful of games like Bioshock that add another hefty 500-800 GB, so all of that together up to this point only barely fills my 4TB drive and I just doubled the drive's capacity. Considering I'm unlikely to get many if any more PS4 games, that means I'll have about 3-4TB to work with just for those well-compressed PS5 games.

Looking more and more like a wonderful generation to me!

Nice. Do we know the filesize for Series S? Should be even smaller with the reduced size of some assets quality and the smart delivery.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Bristow9091 said:

So about an hour ago I booted up my PS3 for the first time in... fuck knows to be honest, definitely over a year though, lol. I decided to go onto the PlayStation Store and buy Ratchet & Clank Nexus digitally because new copies are ridiculously overpriced. The last time I checked the store it was £23.99 which was fine, since it also comes with Quest For Booty, another game I've not got, so yay right?

... Apparently since I last checked the price has only gone and dropped down to £10.99, and it STILL comes with Quest For Booty! :D

Naturally I bought it as soon as I saw the price was so low now, lol. However I won't be playing the game just yet, I've decided I want to play from the start of the Future trilogy, since my history with them is basically... I got about halfway through Tools of Destruction before moving onto other games (That's when the backlog began pretty much), and I bought A Crack in Time but never actually played it, lol. There we go, that's my history right there, lol. So now I've got a four game trilogy to play through, yay! (Quest For Booty still counts, right? Doesn't it take place between ToD and ACiT?)

Aaaaanyways, so I popped Tools of Destruction in ready for whenever I sit down to play it properly, but thought I'd have a quick 5-10 minutes just to familiarise myself with it, and wow y'know what? For a 14 year old game it still looks and runs pretty fucking good lol, I was surprised with how well it held up, since in my head I was expecting it to look pretty much how the PS2 Ratchet games look now. The camera can be a pain in the arse though, I mean it's fine but it moves slower when looking up and down than it does when you're looking left and right, which bugs me a little bit lol... oh well, excited to play through it again and see if I can remember any of the story that I got up to as I'm doing so lol.

TL;DR I bought an old game that came with an older game bundled, then played a little bit of an even older game.

All of the Ratchet and Clank games have held up well in terms of gameplay and sheer fun factor. Cannot recommend them enough! 

A Crack in Time is probably my favourite in the series, with Up Your Arsenal and Going Commando in close 2nd and 3rd, as well as  Tools of Destruction as 4th. so two of your games are in my faves list, where the other two (Nexus and Booty) are both enjoyable games that are pretty short but fun. None of them are in any way bad or poor. I do put the 2016 remake in as my #5, but most people agree you can skip it. 

Great Series overall. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Around the Network

I wonder how old is the protagonist woman of The Returnal.

Bristow9091 said:

So about an hour ago I booted up my PS3 for the first time in... fuck knows to be honest, definitely over a year though, lol. I decided to go onto the PlayStation Store and buy Ratchet & Clank Nexus digitally because new copies are ridiculously overpriced. The last time I checked the store it was £23.99 which was fine, since it also comes with Quest For Booty, another game I've not got, so yay right?

... Apparently since I last checked the price has only gone and dropped down to £10.99, and it STILL comes with Quest For Booty! :D

Naturally I bought it as soon as I saw the price was so low now, lol. However I won't be playing the game just yet, I've decided I want to play from the start of the Future trilogy, since my history with them is basically... I got about halfway through Tools of Destruction before moving onto other games (That's when the backlog began pretty much), and I bought A Crack in Time but never actually played it, lol. There we go, that's my history right there, lol. So now I've got a four game trilogy to play through, yay! (Quest For Booty still counts, right? Doesn't it take place between ToD and ACiT?)

Aaaaanyways, so I popped Tools of Destruction in ready for whenever I sit down to play it properly, but thought I'd have a quick 5-10 minutes just to familiarise myself with it, and wow y'know what? For a 14 year old game it still looks and runs pretty fucking good lol, I was surprised with how well it held up, since in my head I was expecting it to look pretty much how the PS2 Ratchet games look now. The camera can be a pain in the arse though, I mean it's fine but it moves slower when looking up and down than it does when you're looking left and right, which bugs me a little bit lol... oh well, excited to play through it again and see if I can remember any of the story that I got up to as I'm doing so lol.

TL;DR I bought an old game that came with an older game bundled, then played a little bit of an even older game.

I think there is a remastered trilogy for R&C in PS3, try to look at them (R&C Collection) maybe you can find it at a good price.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

I wonder how old is the protagonist woman of The Returnal.

Considering she is going back all the time but her body don't maybe she is like 200 years old.

Bristow9091 said:
Runa216 said:

All of the Ratchet and Clank games have held up well in terms of gameplay and sheer fun factor. Cannot recommend them enough! 

A Crack in Time is probably my favourite in the series, with Up Your Arsenal and Going Commando in close 2nd and 3rd, as well as  Tools of Destruction as 4th. so two of your games are in my faves list, where the other two (Nexus and Booty) are both enjoyable games that are pretty short but fun. None of them are in any way bad or poor. I do put the 2016 remake in as my #5, but most people agree you can skip it. 

Great Series overall. 

Those are 2 and 3, right? We didn't get any punny titles here in the UK... apparently the names were too inappropriate for Europe so they got renamed lol

yea, Going Commando is #2 and Up Your Arsenal is #3. Deadlocked is a loose #4/side project in between the PS2 and PS3 games. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

TSMC says they are going to move on and produce 6nm PS5's APU's in mid/late 2022. This is largely no doubt due to the massive shortages thanks to over demand for the 7nm process (next gen consoles APU's, AMD CPU's and GPU's).

[Suppliers including foundry TSMC are expected to kick off production for the redesign of Sony's PlayStation 5 (PS5) games console between the second and third quarters of 2022, according to industry sources.]

Digitimes

[ As noted by Kantan Games analyst Dr. Serkan Toto, DigiTimes’ supply chain sources say the redesigned PS5 will come with a “new semi-customized” 6nm CPU from AMD, which will be cheaper than the 5nm one currently used.

It’s likely the redesign is purely components-focused and won’t feature any significant external changes. ]

- VideoGamesCronicle

Moving to another node to relieve production issues is pretty much needed rn. Demand way outstrip supply.. But yeah, will be interesting if they cut costs on other things like cooling, since its going to be running on a more efficient node.