By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Analyzing Nintendo's yearly output over the last 22 years, shows they create 2.7 quality exclusives per year.

Ganoncrotch said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I currently have 10 physical Switch games, and 7 indies. I'm just tired of seeing people buy a Nintendo console, and then complain about a lack of games. It's been the same story for twenty years. Dude buys Nintendo console for tentpole exclusive games, and then complains five years later when his entire library consists of 5-10 games. And in my defense: Handheld games were historically on a different system. Small sample sizes should be avoided. Yes, going by critics is arbitrary, but so is everything else, but sales numbers. 

If you insisted on just the home console and didn't buy a game boy though... you could still get a Super gameboy for the SNES and enjoy Pokemon R/B/Y or buy a Gameboy player for the GC and enjoy all the GBA titles on that system as well.

I'm not sure I've ever just had a system for the first party games though, think the lowest number of games I own for any system is probably my N-gage but at that, still have Tomb Raider, Sonic and Tony Hawks for that.

Yeah, but still no DS/3DS player for the Wii/Wii U. I think we can both agree on one thing though. Anybody that buys a Nintendo console and then complains about only having 5-10 games, only has themselves to blame. If people expanded their horizons every once in a while, trying out new genres, or games that they were unsure about, they would have more than 5-10 games. (And yes, I get the irony of that coming from me. Mr.IFAGAMEDOESN"TGET80/100ITISN"TGOOD!!! I own a few 3DS games under 80/100, and will get around to playing them eventually. Also willing to pickup Mario Tennis Aces, and Kirby eventually... But not at a full $60 )

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

It was a pack-in game, so no. Overall, I think this whole thread needs to be reworked. Going by sales figures would have been a much better idea, instead of by review aggregates. 

But it was a highly influential game, and kickstarted the motion control craze, if influence was the deciding factor for SSB I think Wii Sports has its place.

Yeah, but where is Wii Sports as a franchise today? Meanwhile Smash is not only still around, but arguably a bigger franchise than Zelda/3DMario.

Cerebralbore101 said:
VGPolyglot said:

But it was a highly influential game, and kickstarted the motion control craze, if influence was the deciding factor for SSB I think Wii Sports has its place.

Yeah, but where is Wii Sports as a franchise today? Meanwhile Smash is not only still around, but arguably a bigger franchise than Zelda/3DMario.

Wave Race isn't still around, neither is F-Zero, yet both of those are still on the list, I'd say Wii Sports has been much more influential than those two.

VGPolyglot said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Wave Race isn't still around, neither is F-Zero, yet both of those are still on the list, I'd say Wii Sports has been much more influential than those two.

Including a game because it was influential =/= excluding a game because it wasn't influential. This would be like making an exception to let a convict go because he's dying of cancer, and then immediately asking why that one prisoner who got parole on good behavior, but doesn't have cancer got out. Remember we're discussing making an exception for Wii Sports, because it sold well, and was influential, like I did with Smash 64. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Including a game because it was influential =/= excluding a game because it wasn't influential. This would be like making an exception to let a convict go because he's dying of cancer, and then immediately asking why that one prisoner who got parole on good behavior, but doesn't have cancer got out. Remember we're discussing making an exception for Wii Sports, because it sold well, and was influential, like I did with Smash 64. 

I'm saying that once you make one exception, you're just inevitably going to get a whole bunch of debating on why other exceptions were made, Wii Sports case-in-point considering how massive it was, selling more than every Super Smash Bros. game combined (not to mention that it spawned a sequel which does meet your criteria, yet you omitted that for some reason).

Around the Network

Another reason for why arbitrary qualifiers are stupid.

Well...unless I use them.

VGPolyglot said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I'm saying that once you make one exception, you're just inevitably going to get a whole bunch of debating on why other exceptions were made, Wii Sports case-in-point considering how massive it was, selling more than every Super Smash Bros. game combined (not to mention that it spawned a sequel which does meet your criteria, yet you omitted that for some reason).

Yeah, I legitimately missed that one. Also missed Majora's Mask, and Bayonetta 2 at first. 

When a game is free or a pack-in sales are meaningless. Why? Because when you're giving your game away, there's no such thing as sales. 

But, again this thread needs to be redone, with sales figures instead of aggregate review scores. 

Cerebralbore101 said:

Yeah, I legitimately missed that one. Also missed Majora's Mask, and Bayonetta 2 at first. 

I thought you were omitting games from companies Nintendo no longer owns, I.E. Rare, and since Nintendo has never owned Sega or Platinum, isn't it odd to include?

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I thought you were omitting games from companies Nintendo no longer owns, I.E. Rare, and since Nintendo has never owned Sega or Platinum, isn't it odd to include?

-_- Yes. Let me go and edit the OP once again.... 

Cerebralbore101 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

-_- Yes. Let me go and edit the OP once again.... 

Wait, games not interally developed arent part of the list?

Mario Tennis/Golf are by Camelot

F-Zero GX is by Sega

Kirby Epic Yarn is by Good-Feel

Sin & Punishment is by Treasure

Punch-Out is by Next Level Games

None of those are Nintendo owned studios.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.