By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamestop looking for buyer?

Good for them!

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

I hope whoever buys them uses their Power Up Rewards Card. They can save 10% on their purchase.

MasterThief said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

yes we need stats, please provide,Thief

i can throw the "sauce please" comment at everything its just an opinion. just like yours is.  

No, it is not an opinion. An opinion deal with things that are subjective. Facts deal in reality, and can be shown to be either true or false. 

PwerlvlAmy said:

Used game market is great. A lot of games that aren't worth paying full priced for so you can just get a cheap used copy elsewhere. 

Right.  I can't understand how anyone that doesn't have a financial interest in a gaming company could think any other way.  

AlfredoTurkey said:
When Gamestop bought out Funcoland, a superior company, the first steps towards my loathing them were taken. At this point, I don't really give a shit about them at all and if they went under, not many of us would mourn outside of the poor souls that chose to work there.

I can get physical games both new and used other places.

I don't buy much from Gamestop, as prices are generally better elsewhere.  But, the reality is that a nearby Gamestop almost certainly has any game I want from the current generation, and many from the last.  Nobody else has that kind of selection in brick-and-mortar retail at this point.  So, I will miss Gamestop when they inevitably go away.*

* I think they may be able to survive for a very long time if they dramatically reduce their store count, and bring in retro games as physical retail of the current generations fades.  

Around the Network
XD84 said:
I would comprehend why Gamestop would get sold. To survive in a long-term they would need to do some huge changes.

Yeah.  It is unfathomable to me that anybody would want to buy them.  You'd be better off to start a new retailer from scratch, with a much smaller store count.  Gamestop is almost certainly wrapped up in tons of leases for locations that are not profitable.  I guess the name is worth a bit, but it has a bad reputation with enough of the gaming community.  So, I don't see a whole lot of good will value.

MasterThief said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

Used game market is great. A lot of games that aren't worth paying full priced for so you can just get a cheap used copy elsewhere. 

I don't agree with the used market is great point

its terrible for the industry. it does nothing to the big bucks online games. and it massively hurts big retail single player games that are niche. 

everyone but nintendo lowers prices fairly after release of retail games.  people literally buy and trade in games and then buy used copies to save like 5-10 dollars. thats not worth it and it hurts industry badly. 

But the used games market has existed since the industry started, and even before, and there's still a game industry around, isn't it?. Every single market based on physical goods has a second hand market, for the simple reason that people have the right to trade and sell their goods, and there's a big percentage of people who don't care if that produt has been used beforehand, as long as it has some form of discount. The more options for the consumer, the more beneficial it is for them.

If the industry had a monopolistic control over their distribution, consumers would be squeezed out of their money constantly. It's already happening with the digital market.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

VAMatt said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

Right.  I can't understand how anyone that doesn't have a financial interest in a gaming company could think any other way.  

Saves the consumer money and doesn't make them feel forced to buy a game dirt cheap. Sure games get price drops,but then you're waiting to be dictated by that company themselves when you're able to buy at a cheaper price. Whereas buying used games you can get a cheaper price many months before an official price drop is initiated by a games actual publisher. Used game market is a great thing to me.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

VAMatt said: 

I don't buy much from Gamestop, as prices are generally better elsewhere.  But, the reality is that a nearby Gamestop almost certainly has any game I want from the current generation, and many from the last.  Nobody else has that kind of selection in brick-and-mortar retail at this point.  So, I will miss Gamestop when they inevitably go away. 

Do you mean nationally? Because at the local level in some cities it just isn't true. Phoenix AZ has Fallout Games, with a massive selection ranging from Atari to current gen. Gamers in Omaha Nebraska is a great locally owned chain too. Then there's Jay's CD and Hobby in Des Moines. All of them have a bigger selection than gamestop by a country mile. 

Cerebralbore101 said:

VAMatt said: 

I don't buy much from Gamestop, as prices are generally better elsewhere.  But, the reality is that a nearby Gamestop almost certainly has any game I want from the current generation, and many from the last.  Nobody else has that kind of selection in brick-and-mortar retail at this point.  So, I will miss Gamestop when they inevitably go away. 

Do you mean nationally? Because at the local level in some cities it just isn't true. Phoenix AZ has Fallout Games, with a massive selection ranging from Atari to current gen. Gamers in Omaha Nebraska is a great locally owned chain too. Then there's Jay's CD and Hobby in Des Moines. All of them have a bigger selection than gamestop by a country mile. 

I mean in my area (the DC metro area) and most other regions.  There simply are no other national chains, and there are only a handful of regional ones that can match Gamestop.  

I will note that eStarland is located in my area.  If you're unaware, they're a mostly-online, one retail store operation with a massive selection of retro games, and a decent selection of modern stuff.  They really introduced used game trading and sales to northern Virginia 30 years ago, and I went to one of their (then multiple) stores often, prior to (the pieces that have merged into) Gamestop getting into the used game business.  But, I have literally 15ish Gamestops closer than their current store.