By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are games being announced too early?

Sometimes, yes. However, games take much longer to develop than they did even 10 years ago. These companies are trying to appease share holders, core gamers, and the casual audience. Each group wants, needs, or cares about when, how, and where these games are announced in very different ways.

Personally, I think a good mix of at this moment, at the end of the year, by the end of next year, and we are working on it, but have no release window, is just fine. As long as the titles arrives, it doesn't bother me. I just hate when something is announced and never comes to fruition. That should never happen. Agent, Scalebound, 8 Days, just to name a few.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

Agreed - personally I think this trend makes less sense than ever because of the sheer number of games that are released these days. There's more than enough to keep track of in a six to twelve month period, let alone over 2 - 5 years.

If they only announced games that were going to be released in the next 12 months, then you would realize just how few games are coming out soon.

Yes. One year ahead of release should be the max.

twintail said:
MasterThief said:

the fact that we got 0 games in two E3s in a row from Sony is pathetic. all we got is the same games across like 3 different conferences

its miserable. 

in 2017 they announced Bravo Team, Hidden Agenda, Horizon expansion, Inpatient, Shadow of the Colossus PS4. This year it was Déraciné and some Playlink titles. Nioh 2 sorta if they are still publishers for outside of Japan like the first game.

0 games in not fact. its fiction.

Anyhow there is a new San Diego studio from Sony (or at least an expansion - either way there will be a new game from them) and of course Manchester Studio was established in 2015 so they have a game that should be ready soonish.

he is singing that tune for a while now he conveniently choose to forget Ghost of Tshushima and concrete genie announced last year

Around the Network
Nozz-A-La said:
Miyamotoo said:

That not even comparable with something like Cyber Punk, game was announced 5 years ago and game will not be out before 2020. MP4 was announced last year and probably it will be out next or year after next.

Nintendo announced a lot of games last year and they didn't showed us anything about these this year (Core pokemon rpg, mp4, bayonetta 3, yoshi, pikmin(?), new no more heroes game, etc.)

I know this situation is not as bad as cyber punk's. On the other hand 12+ month without any new footage is far from perfect as well. 

They showed new Pokemon game, MP4 was announced only one year ago, same goes for Yoshi, Bayonetta 3 was announced in December (so 6-7 months ago), Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes is showed only 2 months ago, Pikmin never was announced officially.

So comparing 12 months with 60 months is not serious at all. :)

next gen ahead, dont expect anything but filler until then, that then can be ported and charged for again, or just download/ or pop in your disc and play, depending on system.

Miyamotoo said:
Nozz-A-La said:

Nintendo announced a lot of games last year and they didn't showed us anything about these this year (Core pokemon rpg, mp4, bayonetta 3, yoshi, pikmin(?), new no more heroes game, etc.)

I know this situation is not as bad as cyber punk's. On the other hand 12+ month without any new footage is far from perfect as well. 

They showed new Pokemon game, MP4 was announced only one year ago, same goes for Yoshi, Bayonetta 3 was announced in December (so 6-7 months ago), Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes is showed only 2 months ago, Pikmin never was announced officially.

So comparing 12 months with 60 months is not serious at all. :)

They showed a new Pokemon game, not the new CORE pokemon game, like he said. They only mentioned the CORE pokemon game is releasing next year. So expect a Pokemon Direct in either February or like right before E3. Yay.

I like it if games are announced very early in the development cycle because of the leaks. As later you are revealing it as more likely it will get leaked like in nintendos case. FF7 was announced very early but no one can tell me that this game wont sell like hot cakes.

Because it sells consoles? It happens with new consoles aswell, before they release their is an E3 with promises and games that will come but we don't know when so we see people rushing to get consoles (and occassionally bitch a lot first year because their are not that many games).

For some games I forgive them, announcing Samus returns without announcing MP4 would make people mad at Nintendo. Bethesda every year has to answer why ESVI is not announced and they have stated many years that the vision they have with ESVI is not possible with the tech that is out today.

E3 is also for investors, stock from nintendo went down after their conference. If they announced some games that will not be available for years it probably would went up.