By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wait what? Mario Tennis Aces looks like it's going to be an amazing game?

Mario Tennis hasn't been good since Mario Power Tennis. The Wii U's Mario Tennis Ultra Smash sucked. It lacked a story mode. Multiplayer was broken, with mega mushrooms dominating competitive battles. Ultra Smash was barebones, lacking strategy, character differences, and game modes. 

So, I didn't have the highest of hopes for Aces. In the Metacritic Prediction thread, I originally predicted a score of 73. But after pouring over information on the game, I think it might actually be a fantastic game. 

+There's a Story Mode!

+Different characters have unique stats, and abilities. 

+Various courts have hazards on them such as Piranha Plants that eat the ball, and spit it back out.

+There's three main types of swings; topspin, slice, and lobbing the ball. 

+There's a Super Meter ala fighting games.

+You can break your opponent's racket.

+You can slow down time with your Super Meter.

++++ Unlike Smash, IT HAS WALUIGI!!!!!!!!!!

I was a little disappointed in Nintendo's 2018 lineup. They only really had three games, I was looking forward to. But damn, I think Aces might just be the Mario Kart 8 of the series. Cautiously predicting 88/100. 

Normally I hate sports games, but Nintendo has a way of taking mundane things, like racing, tennis, or golf, and making them fun and exciting, by injecting mechanics into them that would never be found in real life. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 17 June 2018

Around the Network

i tried the tournament demo when it was available and my god was i impressed by it. they were not kidding when they said you will need to master different strategies. i got my ass handed to me a good dozen times before i really even figured out what was going on, and then the rest of the tournament just trying to find what worked best for me. but then by that point the demo ended, and now i have to wait a few more weeks and the pay $60 to play it again. the gameplay is surprisingly and ridiculously fun.

i will say this - do not be afraid of Mario Tennis Aces being a generic sports game, because it isnt. it is an amazingly addictive competitive arcade game that is cleverly disguised to look like tennis

It honestly looks like the most interesting game for Switch this year.

mZuzek said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
It honestly looks like the most interesting game for Switch this year.

December 2018 is this year.

interesting usually implies new intrigue, not recycled content

mZuzek said:

interesting usually implies new intrigue, not recycled content

Ah, sorry. I thought you had a brain.

(edit: worth the ban.)

Sorry, I assumed you were capable of basic sarcasm interpreting skills. 

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

Sorry, I assumed you were capable of basic sarcasm interpreting skills. 

Only works with people. And by "people", I mean having an avatar.

I mean, you literally liked and replied to a comment where I was making fun of people who thought the game was a port like ... yesterday or two days ago

C'mon now mZuzek. 

You didnt try the demo? It's amazing.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

mZuzek said:

I mean, you literally liked and replied to a comment where I was making fun of people who thought the game was a port like ... yesterday or two days ago

C'mon now mZuzek. 

You had an avatar back then though, didn't you? That changes everything.

...Yesterday?

I haven't had an avatar in almost a month. 

I think you meant Mario Power Tennis. Toadstool Tour is  a Mario Golf game, not a Mario Tennis game.

Slarvax said:
You didnt try the demo? It's amazing.

Nope. Is it still up?