By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - TBH, I don't expect this E3 to work at all for Nintendo

Will they be able to reach the forecast of 20m this FY?

Yes 3 50.00%

No 3 50.00%

Total:6

Hyperbole (positive and negative) aside, I don't expect this E3 to work for Nintendo at all, bussiness wise.

While I also know that Pokemon and Smash are big names, those games are coming too late in the year imo. One in the middle of November (just in time for BF) and the other one 3 weeks later.

I think nobody can deny that those games are going to be a double punch and push a lot of high numbers in hardware sales, BUT momentum is important. How is the Switch going to reach the holiday season when those two games arrives?

As we must know, June and July are very packed months for the Switch, and even in Japan there's Yokai Watch 4 coming this summer. But for the rest of world, from August to October there are only 2 somewhat big games coming: Monster Hunter and Super Mario Party (real boards again! No car bullshit).

Since Switch release, I was very positive about the future of the platform, as I saw a shift in Nintendo's planning mentality: no fear in announcing far away from release games to promise consumers of future support. Meanwhile, Nintendo Directs fills the gaps with smaller titles.

But they went back to their old self: only close to release games. That would have worked if their presentation had more games coming soon. I acknowledge leaks ruined some surprises like Paladins and Fortnite, but I still believe it was pretty light in content.

To add to my concern, Fire Emblem has been delayed to Spring 2019, while Yoshi is nowhere to be seen. This leaves us with only 3 first party titles for the rest of the year, SO FAR.

I believe, Nintendo needs to do a good couple of very good directs during the rest of the year to fill the gaps and announce more 2019 games.

Maybe they are betting on the Online Subscription to fill the late summer-early fall season. But who knows...

TL;DR: If Nintendo really plans to sell 20million Switch devices this FY I honestly don't expect them to do it with the current line up.

In case anyone cares.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

Some people are giving their presentation a 10/10, so they can reach 100 million and develop the ability to fly for all I know at this point.

I felt like they focused soooo much on the Switch 1st year, and have barely anything in its 2nd year.

Sadly this thread is going to get locked because it is a reaction thread.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
I felt like they focused soooo much on the Switch 1st year, and have barely anything in its 2nd year.

Sadly this thread is going to get locked because it is a reaction thread.

Indeed, first year was amazing.

But oh well, at least the thread was open for a couple of minutes.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

At the very least they can compensate with 3rd party this time, but the lack of an Animal Crossing or anything remotely close to that is going to sting around september-october.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.