By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Xbox One will reportedly soon support Alexa and Google Assistant

Finally the console exclusives that really matter.

Around the Network
TheBird said:
Now we're all going to look like crazy people talking to our consoles again. Voice commands aren't really that good, my google phone has troubles listening to me when I ask it to do something. Could be that I have a billion different voices I use throughout the day, but it should know me by now. More gimmicky technology for people to use I guess.

That's the fun part though. My wife shouting at her phone to set the alarm over and over, my kids talking to the iPad to see what weird stuff it will come up with or talking to the tv remote to find a you tube video and ending up with who knows what. Not sure how they'll ever learn how to spell with today's technology. I guess spelling is on the way out just like mental arithmetic.

Cool. I'd like to see Sony do the same. GA keeps getting more impressive (future Duplex applications will be insane). Good voice integration with consoles' OS's will make them that much more convenient; whatever cuts down on navigating menus.

SvennoJ said:
TheBird said:
Now we're all going to look like crazy people talking to our consoles again. Voice commands aren't really that good, my google phone has troubles listening to me when I ask it to do something. Could be that I have a billion different voices I use throughout the day, but it should know me by now. More gimmicky technology for people to use I guess.

That's the fun part though. My wife shouting at her phone to set the alarm over and over, my kids talking to the iPad to see what weird stuff it will come up with or talking to the tv remote to find a you tube video and ending up with who knows what. Not sure how they'll ever learn how to spell with today's technology. I guess spelling is on the way out just like mental arithmetic.

Why would you want to type stuff into your phone in the first place.  Using voice is way faster and currently Google voice is pretty damn accurate, at least for me.  Its been a number of times where old schoolers were typing navigation or trying to search on Google for something and I was able to do it in secs compared to trying to type it.

They have my curiosity though it already supports Cortana. I have all three on my phone already and I think Cortana is already better than the other two.

Will we be able to use one at a time or all three? Hmm...

Around the Network
KBG29 said:

It's not Xbox taking over PC, it is just Microsoft using the Xbox Branding for their 1st party PC hardware. Microsoft having its own in house PC, does nothing to stop people from building a custom PC, or buying from any number of companies that make pre-built PCs, just like Microsoft having Surface Tablets, and Laptops doesn't stop other manufactures from making and selling products in that category.

I don't believe Microsoft would call it a PC, because the goal would be to sneak it into peoples homes as a console. If they try to maket it as a PC for the TV, I believe it would scare people off, just like it always has in the past. I already have what I want, with XOX as it is. I can use more and more Windows apps every week thanks to Universal Windows Apps, and each update continues to make it operate more and more like full Windows, of course in a closed garden fashion at the moment.

And since when is a PC defined so narrowly? PC's come in every form factor imaginable. Tall Towers, Mini Towers, All In Ones, Laptops, Tablets, Phones, the list goes on and on. Why would an Xbox with full blown windows not be a PC?

Xbox was never going to take over PC though, so yes, it isn't about Xbox supposedly taking over PC. What it's about is trying to assume MS is making Xbox "the PC", when it cannot, because we already have it, it's called the "Personal Computer".

Xbox on Windows OS is more a brand service, than it is the the console side (which it is presented as a console with it's own specified OS).

As far as things go for MS, the Xbox is not their "in-house PC". It is their in-house console though. 

MS never really intended their line to be PC's snuck into living rooms. Not when their starting off point was more in line with what Sony was doing at the time. Just because it "scared" some people off in the past, doesn't mean it will till the end of time itself. It's how you actually market it that counts, just like how MS presenting X1 during that e3 event, counted a metric ton.

I don't really see it becoming exactly like win 10 at the end of it's cycle, let alone the next OS installment. It's closed, just like it will be for years to come, but that's not really an objectively good thing for everyone (since not everyone wants it to be a closed and walled garden).

I was never talking about it's form factor, so I'm not sure why you're bringing that up. 

I know you're trying to muddy the lines up, but that's not really why we're talking (and it shouldn't be either).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"