Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does valve have the staff to work on a theoretical HL3 ?

You can outsource a lot of stuff when making a game, you know. Staff ain't a Problem for Valve. They just don't want to do Half-Life 3. They have zero interest in developing it and at this point I have zero interest in playing it anyway. It's dead. Let it go.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network

Valve employees can do the core gameplay design and art, and they can hire other studios to help out.

caffeinade said:
Valve employees can do the core gameplay design and art, and they can hire other studios to help out.

thats a great way to make a double A 70~ish metacritic game 

I accepted that it will never happen a long time ago.

It's hard, but that's all you can do, honestly.

MasterThief said:
caffeinade said:

Not really.  

Big studios outsource all the time.  

But Valve doesn't seem very interested in making HL3 right now, anyway.  

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
MasterThief said:

Not really.  

big studios are much bigger than valve. we can simply expect most people at valve to be unavailable for main game development. that leaves ~100 people. thats like 1/3rd the baseline imo 

Do they even want to make AAA games ? Valve is both dead to me as a game publisher/developer and as a digital retailer ...

That's exactly how lame they are ...

MasterThief said:
the-pi-guy said:

Not really.  

big studios are much bigger than valve. we can simply expect most people at valve to be unavailable for main game development. that leaves ~100 people. thats like 1/3rd the baseline imo 

From Software also has 300 employees and yet they were able to release Souls games on a yearly basis.  While still working on smaller games.

Valve has also been doing hiring, and they had about 360 employees in 2016.

No. Half the team left the company, including the series story writer, Marc Laidlaw. 

Even if they did, they don't have the desire to do it, and why would they when they can just sit on mountains of cash selling other people's games on Steam?

If you think HL3 is or will ever happen, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell to you.

MasterThief said:
caffeinade said:

Like Uncharted and stuff, yeah.
You don't need to hire hundreds of employees to do grunt work when you can just outsource it.