By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Official DETROIT Screenshot Thread

Detroit honestly has the best character models I've ever seen in a game, they look absolutely amazing and sometimes I have to remember I'm looking at a game and not a live action film, these people aren't real. I've not played it yet, not even bought it yet lol, but I've seen two Digital Foundry videos along with plenty of screenshots, and it's such a visually pleasing game, even the environments are on point!

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
Detroit honestly has the best character models I've ever seen in a game, they look absolutely amazing and sometimes I have to remember I'm looking at a game and not a live action film, these people aren't real. I've not played it yet, not even bought it yet lol, but I've seen two Digital Foundry videos along with plenty of screenshots, and it's such a visually pleasing game, even the environments are on point!

Wait till you see it in motion. 

These shots look a lot better than some others I've seen. The news anchor lady looks a bit creepy, but the rest of those (that aren't pitch black) are awesome.

Just finished my first playthrough. This is the best looking game I have played by far. The character models and enviornments blow away Uncharted, Horizon, and GOW. It has its moments of inconsistancy, but most of the time, it is on point. I am really enjoying the ability to view all of the characters in real time, in the extras menu. Can't wait tell we have this kind of clarity and quality in VR.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
John2290 said:
KBG29 said:
Just finished my first playthrough. This is the best looking game I have played by far. The character models and enviornments blow away Uncharted, Horizon, and GOW. It has its moments of inconsistancy, but most of the time, it is on point. I am really enjoying the ability to view all of the characters in real time, in the extras menu. Can't wait tell we have this kind of clarity and quality in VR.

Is the focal blurring a thing on the pro? It's so bad on the OG that things look as if they weren't textured, then you move the camera towards them or get closer and they are incredible detailed. I wonder if this is to keep the high graphical look without too much FPS loss on the OG or is it a bad design choice. it was so bad in some areas that unless you direct your camera to a specific spot everything is just a blob, particularly the black fat ladies house. Could barley see anything in focus in that place.

There is a lot of Micro texture poping. It happens really fast, and it is not as bad as say early PS3/360 games where it is massive amounts of deatail loading, it is fine details in the focal point getting a sudden burst of detail. They also use very heavy depth of field, which sometimes ends up focused on areas that contradict where you are intending to look. That is with a PS4 Pro and an SSD. Honestly, this game gives me a headache every time I play. I have been able to play longer and longer with each session before it happens, but there is definitly some oddity with the presentation, that affects me.

That said, I only noticed this stuff to a distracting degree a handful of times through my playthough. It wasn't a presistant issue that kept me focused on it, or thinking about it. Just enough to take note of the few times it was joltingly obvious.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

This game came at a fun time. I usually look at what a game tries to do with player controlled character movement through the environment and how high the visual fidelity is comparatively and this game seems to meet the exact circumstances i wanted to see.
1. Game has AAA budget and quality
2. Game developed exclusively for a single platform
3. Game doesn't have a lot and/or fast player controlled movement so the devs can put more effort into perfecting rendering tech in each scene
4. Game has a very talented art department
This game is more or less the perfect storm in my opinion.
Also CGI, your avatar looks great lmao.

No longer any doubt for me. Detroit takes the crown for best looking console game (and really, it challenges Battlefront II for overall quite nicely)!

John2290 said:
CGI-Quality said:

No longer any doubt for me. Detroit takes the crown for best looking console game (and really, it challenges Battlefront II for overall quite nicely)!

-pics.

Hmm. Maybe but it's terribly inconsistent. It has highs that are damn well beatiful and in lower light scenes manage to trick the brain for those split seconds but the focal blur/bokkah and depth of field really weigh it down..I mean c'mon, some objects or even entire scenes or rooms that should be clearly visible in front of the camera and protagonists get randomly turned to blurrs. 

At least give us setting to turn that off but I hear there are none on Pro either. I can't wait to see it on Pro to compare as much of what I read say it keeps those problems. Even the slow/smoothly incremental texture pop in nut only ups performance and resolution. Pity.

Eh, a lot of the 'blur' were design decisions, not inconsistencies. Plenty of games do it when they want your eyes to focus elsewhere. Hell, look at any number of the shots that I've presented here of my own work. Now, I can understand you wanting to turn it off, but don't mistake inconsistencies with deliberate design.

The texture pop-in, which isn't a big deal (at least not to me - particularly on the Pro), could be fixed with a patch. And no game is free from some form of visual defect. 

John2290 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Eh, a lot of the 'blur' were design decisions, not inconsistencies. Plenty of games do it when they want your eyes to focus elsewhere. Hell, look at any number of the shots that I've presented here of my own work. Now, I can understand you wanting to turn it off, but don't mistake inconsistencies with deliberate design.

The texture pop-in, which isn't a big deal (at least not to me - particularly on the Pro), could be fixed with a patch. And no game is free from some form of visual defect. 

I duuno, I can't say for sure until I see it on the Pro but some of those "design decision" with the blurring seem to be a method to mask pop in. The depth of field, I can live with but when the two mix together and everything becomes a blurr, their is something not right. It's not like the game has insane draw distances either. For 40 mil budget it is fantastic looking, def the best facial animations and character models to date maybe only beaten by Kratos in his focused scenes (They probably polished those though), some scenes look incredible 90 percent of the time but other there is inconsistency. For example compare the plaza to the fat black ladies house and the difference is like GT enhanced cars versus classics. Even the walls in that house look terrible with noticable aliasing. The game is up there but Horizon and GoW environments do it better. It does have greater highs in places but compare those draw distances and activity on screen. 

Bigger budgets and larger teams though. One thing is for sure, the team should spread their knowledge on how they created those facial animations and character models. They really shot that out of the park and into space. I've spent actual time staring at Chloe the menu bot :D

The blurring doesn't mask the pop-in, though. So that would have been useless and it's clearly not the point. And I saw plenty of flat areas in Horizon and God of War (all games have plenty of them - even Battlefront II maxed out on an enthusiast rig), but let's not turn this into an us vs them. Plus, you haven't played it on the Pro (all of the PS4's most recent games have looked notably worse [as they should] on the base system).

The visual make-up, while not perfect, is a splendor of tech and creativity. For that, the minor flaws are forgivable.

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 29 May 2018