By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Solo Headed To Become A Flop? Yep, It Flopped.

How Much Will Solo Make WW?

Under $700M 56 60.87%

$700M-$800M 18 19.57%

$801M-$900M 12 13.04%

$901M-$1B 3 3.26%

Over $1B 3 3.26%

Total:92

Weekend estimates are in and Solo made $2.29M, bringing its DBO to $207.28M. This is 59.5% lower than RO at the same point in time. It this holds, Solo will make $215.53M at the end o its DBO run. If the FBO percentage holds, it will end its WW run with $383.5M.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
Over 200 million is a flop? How much did this trash make overseas?

Man Donald Glover....I hate everything he is in now. Especially the last Spiderman. Liked the movie, but he brought it down.

Expectations - A Star Wars movie losing money would have been unthinkable just a year ago.  Rogue One had a little bit of Vader and then bunch of unknown characters and it made a billion dollars. The idea that one of the most iconic characters in the series would come well short of half of that is a flop.

The big question is if this is a blip, or a canary in the coal mine.  Given Disney announced many of the Star Wars movies are on hold tells me they are taking this seriously and possibly adjusting course.  To take a guaranteed billion dollar series and see it have this happen so quickly shows they mishandled Star Wars.

Estimates are in and Solo has made ~$982K, bringing its DBO take to $210.84M. This is 59.5% lower than RO was at this point in time. If this holds, Solo will en its DBO run with $215.53M. If the FBO percentage holds, it will end its WW run with $388.34M.

thismeintiel said:
Estimates are in and Solo has made ~$982K, bringing its DBO take to $210.84M. This is 59.5% lower than RO was at this point in time. If this holds, Solo will en its DBO run with $215.53M. If the FBO percentage holds, it will end its WW run with $388.34M.

i thought this movie got kicked out of cinemas. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
thismeintiel said:

It's still on 778 screens in the US. I would assume that theaters might be contractually obligated to still show it, Disney has been very strict with their Star Wars movies

Around the Network
melbye said:
eva01beserk said:

It's still on 778 screens in the US. I would assume that theaters might be contractually obligated to still show it, Disney has been very strict with their Star Wars movies

Yea, Disney places strict rules on how long their films stay in theaters. Recently, at least with SW and Marvel films, theaters had to agree to not drop screens until the 4th weekend. My guess is that the underperfomance of Solo, they were able to drop screenings a little earlier.

Even though it's been out for 7 weeks, it only beat IW by $115K this weekend, and that film has been out for 11 weeks. Deadpool has been out for 8 weeks and it beat Solo by almost $700K.

Faelco said:
Jon-Erich said:

I'll straight up say it. Social Justice doesn't sell. Ever. There's a reason why Marvel Comics is doing terribly while Marvel Studios is doing great. One of them tries to sell social justice. The other one doesn't. It is obvious which one is which. Lucasfilm is now finding this out with Star Wars. Look at anything that social justice has touched and you'll see a decline in the quality of the product and a decline in the sales of the product. It always happens. It goes beyond entertainment. Look at college campuses where social justice gets out of control. Tuitions in the semesters that follow always drop. The Evergreen State College and the University of Missouri are just two examples of this.

Marketing is another thing. If an advertisement tries to focus on social justice, most people will avoid that product like the plague. I'll give an example of marketing done right. Look at Storm from the X-Men comics. She made her debut in 1975. She became really popular. However, her popularity had nothing to do with the fact that she was a black female from Africa. She was popular because she was a mutant who could control weather. Fans knew there was so much potential there and they ate it up. If they had advertised her as just a black African lady, nobody would have cared about Storm because in a sci-fi/fantasy comic book series, those characteristics alone don't make anybody interesting. This was why Marvel was able to sell Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler and many other diverse X-Men characters. However, they can't sell their new characters today because they don't focus on what's supposed to make those characters unique. I think we're kind of seeing this in Star Wars, though it isn't nearly as bad as modern day Marvel Comics.

I just started Luke Cage season 2 (the first one wasn't very good, and talked only about "Good blacks versus bad blacks" already though...), and they manage to make it a race war in the first 5 minutes. 

The characters complained by saying that Luke is the "Bulletproof black man" (because Tony Stark is the Iron white man, right?), and that "those guys (white people) are going to copy us and come up with a bulletproof white man!". Just take "I'm black, yo" out of your superhero name and you won't have that issue...

They maybe saw that Black Panther was a huge success for racial reason, and will put a double dose of "Look, Luke is black, remember? Black, black, black! Who cares about the quality of the story when you have such a black lead?". Can feel a trainwreck for now, we'll see...

EDIT: Finished the first episode. That was just a mess, painful to watch at time. Story and dialogues are amateur-level. But they use n*gga as ponctuation and want to "keep Harlem black-black" ("not the wrong shade of black"), so some people will surely call it a masterpiece... 

I haven't even watched the first season but many who have the first half of the 2nd season said it was great by the end.

Any truth to that?

d21lewis said:
Faelco said:

I just started Luke Cage season 2 (the first one wasn't very good, and talked only about "Good blacks versus bad blacks" already though...), and they manage to make it a race war in the first 5 minutes. 

The characters complained by saying that Luke is the "Bulletproof black man" (because Tony Stark is the Iron white man, right?), and that "those guys (white people) are going to copy us and come up with a bulletproof white man!". Just take "I'm black, yo" out of your superhero name and you won't have that issue...

They maybe saw that Black Panther was a huge success for racial reason, and will put a double dose of "Look, Luke is black, remember? Black, black, black! Who cares about the quality of the story when you have such a black lead?". Can feel a trainwreck for now, we'll see...

EDIT: Finished the first episode. That was just a mess, painful to watch at time. Story and dialogues are amateur-level. But they use n*gga as ponctuation and want to "keep Harlem black-black" ("not the wrong shade of black"), so some people will surely call it a masterpiece... 

I haven't even watched the first season but many who have the first half of the 2nd season said it was great by the end.

Any truth to that?

I finished the second season now. 

The first part of the first season is pretty good, but the second part is awful. 

The first couple of episodes of the second season is embarrassingly bad, but it does get better and the end is pretty good. I wouldn't say great if you compare to Daredevil, Punisher or JJ season 1 because Luke Cage is too limited by its characters and setting, but at least I wanted to watch the next episode to know what was going to happen (while I finished LC1 and JJ2 with difficulty, it was hard to keep watching).

Basically, when they stop with the "bulletproof black man" dabbing on YouTube, walking in slow motion in the street and using n*gga twice in each sentence to greet people passing by, and they instead focus on the plot, it gets a lot better. So weird and unexpected! 

Faelco said:
d21lewis said:

Any truth to that?

The first part of the first season is pretty good, but the second part is awful. 

The first couple of episodes of the second season is embarrassingly bad, but it does get better and the end is pretty good. I wouldn't say great if you compare to Daredevil, Punisher or JJ season 1 because Luke Cage is too limited by its characters and setting, but at least I wanted to watch the next episode to know what was going to happen (while I finished LC1 and JJ2 with difficulty, it was hard to keep watching).

Basically, when they stop with the "bulletproof black man" dabbing on YouTube, walking in slow motion in the street and using n*gga twice in each sentence to greet people passing by, and they instead focus on the plot, it gets a lot better. So weird and unexpected! 

Sadly, I haven't gotten more than a couple of episodes into any of the Netflix shows. I do want to get into The Punisher when I have some spare time. Too bad about Luke Cage. Even the people I know that praised it said 13 Episodes are too much for the story they were trying to tell. I guess I'll stick to Black Lighting.

Lol! Forgot this was a Solo thread!

Faelco said:
d21lewis said:

Any truth to that?

Man, that seems to be the Netflix MCU curse.

The only two series I can think of that had good entire seasons were Jessica Jones Season 1 and Daredevil Season 1.

Otherwise the season as a whole was lackluster, or amazing first half and just a mess of a second.