By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - This is why we need more cameras in as many practical situations as possible; egg on Shaun King's face

I agree. I want actual evidence as much as possible to combat nonsense like "your truth". The cop should sue them.

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
I agree. I want actual evidence as much as possible to combat nonsense like "your truth". The cop should sue them.

Hopefully it goes that way. Lawsuit time.

Yeah, liars like this should be punished. It disgusts me that King suddenly tries to paint himself a victim. He is not, he tried to ruin someone's life without doing his due diligence. He deserves to get sued and I hope this becomes a huge learning experience for him.

With that, at least he is willing to admit he was wrong, which is a plus, I guess. While groups like Now-NYC which hasn't even taken down the tweet yet as of this posting and doubled down and not directly issue a retraction or directly apologize for it.

There was a time when everything didn't need to be filmed. A little investigating would get the desired results and if it was one person's word against another, credibility and character could exonerate. Not people feel like "If I don't see it, it didn't happen."

Hiku said:

Police should not be allowed to turn off body cams while they are out on patrol or responding to a call. Both for reasons like this, and when they chose to lie or abuse their authority.
Protects both the officers and the people from abuse.

If I had to wear a body can when I was a cop (2003-2010) I'd have been screwed. 90% if the time I was at some random woman's house with my pants off. I couldn't do the job nowadays! Hell, I guess I wasn't the best at it back then, either.

Around the Network

Instances like this should not detract from the importance of protecting victims of harassment, violence, and rape.We need to double down to ensure women are free to live their lives without unwanted sexual interference. This is basic liberalism 1.0 - the one American Fathes endorsed and believed in.

At the same the people must understand that no one is saying that there are not vile people out there, women who will lie and exploit the system and our goodwill. This sort of people have always been around, cons and thieves and liars and people of low morals attempting to exploit situations for pure own benefit. This has been a thing and it will still be a thing. We need to have the capacity to protect victims and catch the liars accordingly. In this case this woman deserves her career destroyed and a sentence in prison. She is a criminal just like any other person who perverts the law and justice. Such exploitative behaviour is unacceptable and has nothing to do with human rights or feminism.

Might I also dare to add that feminism in the context of discussing wage gap disparities in Hollywood is a joke. We shouldn't care about whether millionaire women make fewer millions from millionaire men. That's still within the realm of pure privilege. Many white women who play the victim card do it so undeservingly, without this meaning that there are no genuine victims and women that suffer at the hands of men, out there. At the same time, we know for a fact that women in many third countries are genuinely suffering from an outdated and sexist patriarchy that imposes its choice on their bodies and their minds. In the grand scheme of things, it is important that we all embrace feminism and accept that the world of women is not so rosy at all. The question is how do we help, and what do we do for those privileged women who are trying to exploit situations for personal benefit.

Last edited by Helloplite - on 25 May 2018

Fight the power, Officer Hubbard: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/24/trooper-with-same-name-as-officer-falsely-accused-sexual-assault-fights-shaun-kings-posts.html

Kyuu said:

"This is delicous."

Justice feeds both mind and soul.

Well yeah, thats why I love body cameras for officers. They both reveal abuses and help exonerate falsely accused cops.

chapset said:
Body cams are good for both sides, keep the cops in check so they don't go overboard and stop false claims like this one. Good job America

Body cams on cops truely can be a great gift for both sides - but only if they are always running and cannot be turned off.

Because here in germany, body cams only record when the cop wants them to, so they are - surprise, surprise - always turned off when the cops themselves act inappropriately.

Can body cams in the US really not be turned off by the cops? If so, that is one thing I now truely admire about the US!