By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Detroit: Become Human Reviews: 79 Metacritic, 80 OpenCritic

KazumaKiryu said:
method114 said:
So is this one of those games like Beyond two souls?

Yes, but it's more like "Heavy Rain" - only better (more decision possibilities and details in the gameworld)

The staging and atmosphere is so fantastic, I am very impressed. Too bad that some editors rate it badly - because they do not accept the genre. Video games are so much more than just fun / gameplay. Metal Gear Solid (very profound games, part 1 to 4) and Yakuza are perfect examples - better than any movie and also playable :) In "Detroit Become Human" also psychology and philosophy play a role, thats cool :)

Hmm never played heavy rain. While I slightly enjoyed Beyond Two souls because I like story heavy games this was to story heavy for me. The game play was lacking big time. I like a nice mix.

Around the Network
method114 said:
KazumaKiryu said:

Yes, but it's more like "Heavy Rain" - only better (more decision possibilities and details in the gameworld)

The staging and atmosphere is so fantastic, I am very impressed. Too bad that some editors rate it badly - because they do not accept the genre. Video games are so much more than just fun / gameplay. Metal Gear Solid (very profound games, part 1 to 4) and Yakuza are perfect examples - better than any movie and also playable :) In "Detroit Become Human" also psychology and philosophy play a role, thats cool :)

Hmm never played heavy rain. While I slightly enjoyed Beyond Two souls because I like story heavy games this was to story heavy for me. The game play was lacking big time. I like a nice mix.

i understand :) "Detroit Become Human" has more gameplay and playable characters than "BTS", says the developer. You can play the demo in PS4Store, if you like :)

CGI-Quality said:
LuccaCardoso1 said:
mediocre
adjective

1. of only average quality;
According to Metacritic, average scores are those from 50 to 75.

If you're going to link a definition, link the whole thing

"of only moderate quality; not very good."

Since you only linked the definition you wanted, I did the same :)

To clarify, I'm using mediocre as "average" here. My point still stands.

B O I

CGI-Quality said:

Besides, Metacritic calls 50-74 mixed or average, but that's them. I'm talking in general. 7/10 is considered above average (or a "C" in school). 

I think people usually think of 70 as an average score. Just look at No Man's Sky... That has a 71 on PS4, and people generally consider it as a bad or average game (at launch, at least).

B O I

Super glad to see they recovered from the shit heap that was beyond two souls. Definitely picking this one up when I can.

Around the Network

Bargain bin material for me.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I don't think there is much need to argue over the score but I also think games like this really emphasis why taking metascores at face value is ludicrous.  Some people will love this style of game while others will hate it.  Both opinions are fine, people just need to find reviewers who share a similar perspective. 

It's also a complex game and complex games usually have a much broader range of scores, as reviewers will find more things to love or hate that will vary from one play-through to the next.

Complexity normally carries more flaws, as well.  However, I often love flawed things, especially when those flaws are the result of attempting to do something new or different. 

CGI-Quality said:
Looking good!

This is one of the best images I've ever seen from a videogame.

good score, and seems best game til now for quantic dream, congratulation

On Topic: I always expected this to get 80 or above meta, but damn some of these reviews are really harsh. Others like Destructoid's seem to have legit complaints. The game is great, but in a niche (only if you like it) sort of way. I don't expect it to fall to 79, since there are so many reviews already, and the clickbait-trolls from Slant/Metro already posted their opinions. 

LuccaCardoso1 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Besides, Metacritic calls 50-74 mixed or average, but that's them. I'm talking in general. 7/10 is considered above average (or a "C" in school). 

I think people usually think of 70 as an average score. Just look at No Man's Sky... That has a 71 on PS4, and people generally consider it as a bad or average game (at launch, at least).

Star Wars Battlefront (the first one) has a 73 on metacritic. Not a complete game. Not at all.  So IMO there's not a gradient of quality. It's not like a game scoring 77 is only a little bit better than a game scoring 70 or 73. Instead we get a sheer cliff of garbage somewhere around the 73-74 range. Lots of really terrible games get cakewalk reviews from the same publications that are overly harsh to fantastic games, that the reviewer in question doesn't like for genre reasons. Case in point... 7/10 for Sea of Theives, a broken unfinished game, while also giving 6/10 for Far Cry 5. 

Then again, maybe its me. Maybe I'm so damned spoiled from having access to 30 years of games spanning every major console, that average games seem terrible to me now. 

The game is currently seating above "Until Dawn". A game I absolutely loved and one of my biggest surprises of the generation. I will get this game fr sure, but first I need to finish playing GoW!!! 😁