By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ps5 still 3 years away

Was very happy to hear the news we are still a good 3 years off till ps5. should make the jump in tech a much more palatable upgrade. Are others also happy with the news, personally I never understood those that were desperate for an upgrade sooner as apart from lack of a 4k Blu-ray we just haven't advanced enough in tech to justify the move yet.

and for reference https://www.wsj.com/articles/next-playstation-is-three-years-off-sony-says-1527067818 (sorry don't have a non wsj link)

"TOKYO—Don’t hold your breath for the fifth-generation PlayStation.

Sony Corp. wants to spend three more years readying its next videogame move, the head of the PlayStation business said Wednesday."

Last edited by nanarchy - on 23 May 2018

Around the Network

So,,,,, 2018,2019... and launches in 2020?

Thats what most thought would happend anyways.

JRPGfan said:

So,,,,, 2018,2019... and launches in 2020?

Thats what most thought would happend anyways.

sounding more like 2021. I know they are all very loose with the truth but 2020 is really 2 years, even the end of 2020 is at best 2 and half.

I'm in no rush to upgrade.

Nah, 2 and a half years. Holiday 2020 it's going to launch. The whole "crouch down" thing is in reference to a forecasted drop in operating profit for PlayStation for the Fiscal Year ending 31st March 2021. As a console launch isn't usually a particularly profitable time for PlayStation I expect this to be the fiscal year the ps5 launches.

November 2020.

Around the Network

No rush to upgrade here either, also, I think it was a mistake to announce that this early, it might deter people from buying a PS4 in the meantime.

Barkley said:
Nah, 2 and a half years. Holiday 2020 it's going to launch. The whole "crouch down" thing is in reference to a forecasted drop in operating profit for PlayStation for the Fiscal Year ending 31st March 2021. As a console launch isn't usually a particularly profitable time for PlayStation I expect this to be the fiscal year the ps5 launches.

November 2020.

Hope you are wrong as that means a spec lockdown next year. We just aren't quite there tech wise yet, the extra 12 months would be really helpful.

I'm just wondering if we will ever get back to a time when the big three launch their main devices in the same year again? When will the XTwo launch or Switch 2?

I'd rather see more games and less hardware.

There used to be a compelling reason to upgrade, but now not so much. Theres little the current consoles can't do.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/05/sony-next-playstation-is-at-least-three-years-off/?amp=1