By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5: Evidence Points To Backward Compatibility [RUMOUR]

PwerlvlAmy said:
DialgaMarine said:

They can still make a lot of money off of Now by continuing it on PS4 and PC, while bringing it back to other other non-PS devices. 

Yeah I just feel they'll just use the ''PS4 games on PS Now'' excuse for BC. Who knows though, we'll see

If they make the PS5 BC, then all the games on the PSN Store can keep on selling. 

That's a much better proposition to publishers, profit wise, compared to having all the titles available through a sub.

Around the Network
PwerlvlAmy said:
I'd actually see them NOT doing BC so they can squeeze more money out of PS Now by adding PS4 games to it. Gotta get use out of that Cloud purchase somehow

Which is why I think it's just as likely that they won't have any backwards compatibility even though on a hardware level it would be easy to do

Bofferbrauer2 said:
setsunatenshi said:

@bold

not really, not even close. go check how well the PS3 is emulated even on high end PCs to this day

PS4 games on PS5, to me this is a given. X86 ftw

Pretty well actually, all it needed was an emulator from a competent team (RPCS3), not what was available before. Most games actually run alot better than on the PS3 now

Maybe on a nice PC. But, you are not running a PS3 emulator on the PS4. The Jaguar CPU is just not powerful enough to emulate the Cell. 

thismeintiel said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Pretty well actually, all it needed was an emulator from a competent team (RPCS3), not what was available before. Most games actually run alot better than on the PS3 now

Maybe on a nice PC. But, you are not running a PS3 emulator on the PS4. The Jaguar CPU is just not powerful enough to emulate the Cell. 

Theoretically, it should be possible on the PS5. Both the CPU and GPU should have more than enough juice to emulate PS3 games. However, does Sony even want to do that?

melbye said:

PwerlvlAmy said:

Yeah I just feel they'll just use the ''PS4 games on PS Now'' excuse for BC. Who knows though, we'll see

I really hope not considering how slow PS Now is expanding. They bought it like 7 years ago and it's only available in about 10 countries so far. Also the fact that they decided to limit what devices it was available on it just seems like Sony can't get the technology working properly.

logically what you are saying makes sense and i agree with it,but some of these companies dont use logic with everything though lol

hopefully you're right and we get proper BC for ps5

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network
Aura7541 said:
thismeintiel said:

Theoretically, it should be possible on the PS5. Both the CPU and GPU should have more than enough juice to emulate PS3 games. However, does Sony even want to do that?

I definitely agree it will be powerful enough. Personally, I hope Sony makes the PS5 B/C with all of their systems. PS4 is a no-brainer. But, so is PS1 and PS2, really. I mean they have such a huge catalog of PS1 and PS2 classics on the PS Store. If PS5 can't play them, what's the point of having them there? And I could see them being able to do with PS3 games what they did for PS2 games on the PS4, upping them to 1080p, if they aren't already, with a nice AA solution applied.

It really would be the ultimate machine. And other than the staff that they already pay for to develop the emulators, it won't cost them extra for HW, as it would all be done in SW. 

I'd be shocked if they didn't. Would give xbox a needless 1 up next gen

Bofferbrauer2 said:
setsunatenshi said:

@bold

not really, not even close. go check how well the PS3 is emulated even on high end PCs to this day

PS4 games on PS5, to me this is a given. X86 ftw

If you consider "Pretty well" needing a current high end PC to run only a limited amount of PS3 games at sub 30 fps in most cases after extremely careful case by case tweaking of settings (for each individual game)... I suppose we have a very different understanding of what "pretty well" means.

Now taking into account the APU on the PS4 is hot garbage when comparing with that same high end PC, it's quite evident why Sony isn't able to simply emulate the PS3.

thismeintiel said:
Aura7541 said:

I definitely agree it will be powerful enough. Personally, I hope Sony makes the PS5 B/C with all of their systems. PS4 is a no-brainer. But, so is PS1 and PS2, really. I mean they have such a huge catalog of PS1 and PS2 classics on the PS Store. If PS5 can't play them, what's the point of having them there? And I could see them being able to do with PS3 games what they did for PS2 games on the PS4, upping them to 1080p, if they aren't already, with a nice AA solution applied.

It really would be the ultimate machine. And other than the staff that they already pay for to develop the emulators, it won't cost them extra for HW, as it would all be done in SW. 

The problem isn't about the emulation of the PS1/2 era of hardware. I believe the issue comes from licensing rights of the software on the digital platform.

Definitely Sony isn't interested in having people putting their 20yr old disc of FF7 to then run the game. They make no money and Square makes no money from that.

This is why it's important to finally transition to a actual digital model (akin to Steam on PC). No more having to bind a game to the native hardware that played it originally, but instead being future proof as you transition from 1 platform to another.

I am many generations of hardware away from the PC I used when I played my first Steam games. Yet, every single game I ever purchased there works on my current and future hardware. No issues with licensing rights for all eternity.

PwerlvlAmy said:
melbye said:

I really hope not considering how slow PS Now is expanding. They bought it like 7 years ago and it's only available in about 10 countries so far. Also the fact that they decided to limit what devices it was available on it just seems like Sony can't get the technology working properly.

logically what you are saying makes sense and i agree with it,but some of these companies dont use logic with everything though lol

hopefully you're right and we get proper BC for ps5

I guess it comes down the logical choice vs their need to prove that cloud-gaming is a thing that is viable right now. One day it probably will be but as an alternative and not as a replacement