By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - God of war spoiler theories.

I think Kratos is Tyr. He certainly looks like him. Atreus we know now is Loki who is the father of the world serpent according to Norse Myth and possibly why the world Serpent tells Atreus he looks familiar.

Since the cycle must break and Kratos is known to have changed his own fate, I think this trilogy might not be a trilogy or as straight forward.

1) it could be that Kratos has to go to other mythologies to find ways of beating Odin and Thor.

2) we play through the norse mythology and when Ranarok ends and the world is drowned in water, Kratos goes to Egypt to bring land back to the world.

I don't think father and son will be together through every story as children eventually grow up and leave their parents. The vision of Thor at the end of the game also might hint towards Kratos being hit so hard, sending him to another land / myth since fate is being rewritten.

Around the Network

Kratos cannot be Týr, since his ''Norse name'' is on the wall in Jötunheim. The mural says ᛚᛟᚲᛁ (Loki) next to Atreus, and Kratos is called ᚠᚨᚱᛒᚨᚢᛏᛁ (Fárbauti). Which makes a lot more sense considering Fárbauti IS the father of Loki in Norse mythology and the husband of Laufey (Faye). Cory has done his research, the story mimics the actual stories far more than I thought it would.

Regarding the World Serpent, yes, Mímir told the story that the World Serpent was cast back in time at the end of the events of Ragnarök. That explains why Atreus/Loki, father of the World Serpent, is still a young boy, and the mural in Jötunheim of him giving birth to the snake is an event that has yet to come. It also explains why the World Serpent recognises Atreus.

Octane said:
Kratos cannot be Týr, since his ''Norse name'' is on the wall in Jötunheim. The mural says ᛚᛟᚲᛁ (Loki) next to Atreus, and Kratos is called ᚠᚨᚱᛒᚨᚢᛏᛁ (Fárbauti). Which makes a lot more sense considering Fárbauti IS the father of Loki in Norse mythology and the husband of Laufey (Faye). Cory has done his research, the story mimics the actual stories far more than I thought it would.

Regarding the World Serpent, yes, Mímir told the story that the World Serpent was cast back in time at the end of the events of Ragnarök. That explains why Atreus/Loki, father of the World Serpent, is still a young boy, and the mural in Jötunheim of him giving birth to the snake is an event that has yet to come. It also explains why the World Serpent recognises Atreus.

Good point. Wonder whether we will see any living giants with the sequel. 

John2290 said:
Octane said:

They've already taken liberties and more will be needed as the games roll out. Nothing is licked in and like with the first trilogy anything can be altered, they aren't following the mythos to a tee nor should they. 

I'm not saying they should, I'm just pointing out that they are. Heck, even the game's plot, Loki killing Baldr with an arrow made of mistletoe comes straight from Norse mythology, and it's often heralded as one of the first events that sets of Ragnarök. Even most of the background lore are just stories from Norse mythology. It's clear that they stayed a lot closer to the original source material in this reboot than in the original trilogy, that merely took characters and bit of mythology here and there.

Anyway, I'm not here trying to argue that Kratos cannot be Týr, but it's difficult to assume since they already have Kratos a Norse identity, and one that makes a lot more sense story-wise.

The theory of The World Serpent being Krotos I feel is possible. Perhaps Atreus/Loki Fathers The World Serpent with Kratos' body as a form of Reincarnation. Kratos tosses The Leviathan Axe into the lake and The World Serpent spits it back out. Be maybe if he's sent back into time his intention is to help Atreus alter the future. Preventing Ragnerok in some way. Have Baldur kill Freya and then kill Baldur. That way Freya can't rain hell down on Kratos.

Last edited by Vizigoth04 - on 19 May 2018

Around the Network

Also. We really need a Game that links the time between God of War 3 and God of War PS4. The story where Faye, a shape shifting Giant also wields Leviathan Axe, Bow and knife, tools she passes down to her family and plans their future. I know where anticipating sequals and so am I. But I need a prequel as well.

Vizigoth04 said:

Also. We really need a Game that links the time between God of War 3 and God of War PS4. The story where Faye, a shape shifting Giant also wields Leviathan Axe, Bow and knife, tools she passes down to her family and plans their future. I know where anticipating sequals and so am I. But I need a prequel as well.

At the very least that would make for a cool expansion.

Nah, tyr is in the stories. I think he will show up in the next game. The only time time travel was mentioned is when Mimir told the story of Thor hitting the world serpent so hard it knocked him back in time. Mimir translated the world serpent by saying that Atreus voiced sounded familiar. When Atreus learned of his godhood his first question was “can I turn into a wolf”. My theory is that the mural on the wall at the end depicts the world serpent being born out of guilt, grief or anger. Some part of Kratos soul exists within the world serpent, that’s why he’s white. The world serpent is also destined to kill Thor (and die by him) at ragnarok. I believe that Loki will be the wolf Fenrir (instead of being his child) that is destined to kill Odin at ragnarok.

I think Atreus will adopt the moniker of Loki to infiltrate Asgard after Kratos dies. Atreus is well read and knows their personalities. He is a shape shifter and a douche just like the gods. That’s why the gods loved him. He would ruin their day and then make up for it with cool gifts. All while slowly playing the long con. I think this will play out traditionally with a few cool twists.

John2290 said:
massimus said:

Nah, tyr is in the stories. I think he will show up in the next game. The only time time travel was mentioned is when Mimir told the story of Thor hitting the world serpent so hard it knocked him back in time. Mimir translated the world serpent by saying that Atreus voiced sounded familiar. When Atreus learned of his godhood his first question was “can I turn into a wolf”. My theory is that the mural on the wall at the end depicts the world serpent being born out of guilt, grief or anger. Some part of Kratos soul exists within the world serpent, that’s why he’s white. The world serpent is also destined to kill Thor (and die by him) at ragnarok. I believe that Loki will be the wolf Fenrir (instead of being his child) that is destined to kill Odin at ragnarok.

I think Atreus will adopt the moniker of Loki to infiltrate Asgard after Kratos dies. Atreus is well read and knows their personalities. He is a shape shifter and a douche just like the gods. That’s why the gods loved him. He would ruin their day and then make up for it with cool gifts. All while slowly playing the long con. I think this will play out traditionally with a few cool twists.

If they can make it all work in game form and like you said add some cool twists, Barlog will earn a place in gaming History along with the greats like Kojima. 

I agree they did a great job with the Norse material and it has a lot of potential. Im trying to think about how that would work. I would be happy with Loki’s “spartan rage” being a transformation into a giant, powerful wolf and mauling the shit out of people.

The infiltration could be a good place to start off slow and then slowly taking out the gods. In the stories Loki found Baldurs only weakness and deceived Baldurs brother into killing him. Everybody was having a good time watching axes and shit bounce off of Baldur and his brother looked left out so Loki walked up to him and gave him a mistletoe dart to throw. I expect shit like that could be a good work up to full blown war.